Managing Food Cravings : Physiological And Psychological Cravings!
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself."
Other useful hub by Chitrangada Sharan
- How To Detoxify : What Is An Effective Detox Plan
Are you the one, who has a tendency to overindulge? Have you been feeling sluggish, bloated, sleep deprived, difficulty in losing weight? Then this article is for you.You might need a Detox Diet Plan.
Diets And Food Cravings!
© Chitrangada Sharan, May 2014,
All Rights Reserved.
- There may be many persons, who must have gone on a diet at one time or another.
- Hundreds of suggestions are available by numerous sources.
- So there is the water diet, the fruit juice diet, the salad diet, the detox diet, the eat everything in half quantity diet, the eat anything you like diet----and many more.
- Is dieting a sure way to slim down?
- Quite the opposite!!!
- Dieting is a sure way to get fat.
- Every time you diet and then break your diet plan, you condition your body to accumulate more weight.
What is Craving?
In reference to above, we must also remember the simple fact that it is very depressing not to be able to eat, especially for those people who love food.
And who doesn't!
They suffer acutely from a sense of deprivation and have terrible--terrible cravings for foods they can no longer have. There is a general feeling of depression, guilt and failure.
Food cravings increases the more you deprive yourself of food.
Cravings can be divided into two different groups:
1. Physiological cravings;
2. Psychological cravings.
1. The absence of a particular element in the body may lead to a strong desire for certain foods.
For instance---dairy produce if there is lack of calcium;
---or salty foods if the salt is lacking'
---sweet cravings may be due to lack of sugar and so on.
This is quite natural and is indeed healthy sign.
2. A less commonly acknowledged physiological craving may arise, oddly enough, after satisfying your hunger. Many people may sometimes feel a craving for a particular food that is extremely spicy or sweet or has a strong individual taste.
This is because a person who habitually overindulges, may seek to again stimulate appetite because the eating has made it dull.
Thus your body may trick you to crave for food again.
3. Food craving after eating usually happens when you are on a diet. The body being deprived is not getting enough calories for its energy needs. The body wants to get the calories it wants from eating, rather than have to go to the metabolic process of breaking down energy from stored up fat within the body.
4. Another kind of physiological craving is the desire for a certain kind of food at a specific time of day. Cravings for a particular kind of food may be the brain signalling depletion of an important element in the body.
So it is not uncommon to have a morning craving or an evening craving.
5. Another kind of craving arises after having alcohol, which stimulates blood insulin. It can lead people to low blood sugar levels, temporarily. Thus it amounts to desire for food, even if they are not really hungry.
This biological imbalance will reverse itself on its own in a short time.
1. People who consciously monitor their eating typically overeat when they have their drinks. Cravings held in check consciously, surface in these circumstances.
The best option is to stay away from food and this can be planned in advance. Promise yourself to stay away from buffet table or ask someone else to bring your plate of food. These are useful techniques to deal with alcohol induced cravings.
2. Another kind of psychological craving comes from the feeling of deprivation. The longing for the foods which you might have denied yourself, due to overweight.
Complete cutting out foods, you love may lead to a breakdown of control, due to intolerable cravings.
It will be better to permit small amount of the foods they love, to control this kind of craving. This way weight can be managed in a better way.
3. Another type of psychological craving emerges after eating something low in calories. There is a psychological feeling of being deprived.
Calorie for calorie, people usually do much better eating, a 'little' of something they enjoy, than 'more' of something they do not like.
Keeping a record:
Some people find it useful to keep a record of their cravings and temptations.
In this they note down the time, the place, with whom they were, what they were doing or thinking or feeling at the time the cravings were felt.
Keeping this kind of record for at least a week, can detect and identify patterns, what are those situations that spark off cravings, temptations and the desire to over eat.
#Stress triggers food cravings, especially sweet. When a person is worried or anxious, the hormones get activated which have been discovered in taste cells that identify sweet, bitter, salty or spicy flavors.
#This itself explains why some people turn to chocolates when they are stressed or under pressure.
Do you have cravings? If at all for what kind of food?
Is there a solution?
Understanding the causes and symptoms will not end the temptations and cravings.
But this is a useful first step!
- You can choose, not to expose yourself to stimulating foods.
- You can go to restaurants less often,
- Decide not to bring chocolates, biscuits, sweets and other foods to your home, for which you have utmost cravings.
- Avoid going to markets, when you are quite hungry.
- Do not imagine that it is possible to avoid all situations and every food which tempts you.
- You cannot decide never again to see food, or never to feel frustrated or depressed. This is where thinking techniques become crucial tools for self direction.
© Chitrangada Sharan 29th May, 2014,
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Tips to control food cravings, source: You tube
Other related hubs by Chitrangada Sharan!
- Are You Always Hungry? Follow The Diet Chart, Eat We...
With most diet plans, you are back to your old habits within a few days. This weight control plan will change that by 'restructuring techniques'.Once you hit the ideal weight,ease into the next phase.
- How Can Coconut Oil Help You To Reduce Weight And Sl...
Coconut oil is unique as found by research as it helps you to reduce fat. It has less calories, is effective in boosting metabolism. It is more satisfying and makes you feel fuller for a longer time.
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan