- Women's Health»
Foods to Avoid By Pregnant Women
Pregnancy is a period when utmost care has to be taken with what you eat. It is not just the mother rather the health of child too which needs to be taken into consideration. What the mother eats has a direct effect on the child also. In this hub, I am just writing about some of the foods which needs to avoided by pregnant women.
Of course you want to see your baby healthy and happy. So it is the prime duty of the mother to have a proper control of what she is eating during her pregnancy.
1. You need to avoid seafood which might be high in mercury. Though seafood is a big source of omega 3 fatty acids and proteins but care should be taken to avoid shellfish and other fish which may contain dangerous levels of mercury. Excessive intake of mercury might cause damage to your baby’s nervous system. It is said that fish which are older and bigger in size needs to be avoided by pregnant women. According to FDA, some of the fish which should not be eaten during pregnancy are: swordfish, shark, mackerel, tilefish. However you can take tuna fish, shrimp, crab, cod, catfish.
2. You also need to avoid eating undercooked eggs and meat. This is so because during pregnancy you stand at a greater chance of suffering from bacterial infections leading to food poisoning. Thus it is advisable to always properly cook the meat and other poultry products. Canned and refrigerated poultry products should also be avoided by pregnant women.
3. Pregnant women should also avoid the intake of unpasteurized foods. It is better to avoid eating brie, feta, blue cheese, Mexican style cheeses.
4. You should also stay away from eating raw fruits and vegetables which have not been washed properly. This is so because they may contain harmful bacteria. Also it is best to avoid eating raw sprouts during pregnancy.
5. Excessive intake of foods rich in Vitamin A are to be avoided during pregnancy because it might lead to birth defects.
You might also be interested in reading about HOW TO TREAT HEADACHES DURING PREGNANCY
6. Too much caffeine is not healthy during pregnancy because it might be a cause of miscarriage. It might also affect the heart rate of your unborn baby. It should be restricted to just 200 milligrams per day for pregnant women.
7. Alcohol and smoking are to be avoided as much as possible during pregnancy because they are not good for the health of your baby. It might lead to facial deformities, low birth weight and heart problems.
Always remember that during pregnancy you are eating not just for yourself but also for your baby and it is your duty to see that the baby is getting a proper nutritional diet. You may also be interested in reading about Vegan Diet During Pregnancy