Foods to avoid when breastfeeding
As a mother of a newly born child, it is important to remember that you are now responsible to ensure that your child gets the proper diet that he or she needs to fully grow. This begins with breast feeding, when a child will receive all the same nutrients and foods that you consumed earlier. Because of this, there are a couple of foods to avoid when breastfeeding.
To start out, you should not eat anything that could possibly cause an allergic reaction in your baby. This can be determined by simply looking at your family's history of allergies and determining what is most likely to reappear in your newborn child. Common foods that can trigger allergies include freshwater fish, garlic, eggs, chocolate and products with caffeine.
Nursing mothers normally eat a variety of foods while breastfeeding. These foods will result in different flavors that change the taste of your breast milk. Your baby probably enjoys the variety.
However, if your baby is particularly cranky and seems fussy about the milk one day, try to remember what you may have eaten. If she reacts the same way every time you take that particular food, it could be one of the foods to avoid when breastfeeding.
- How to treat cold in infants and children
- Tips to make your child eat fruits and vegetables
- Tips for feeding fussy eaters
- Salmonella Symptoms in Humans
- Foods to avoid during H pylori infection
- Helicobacter Pyroli Infection Symptoms:
- Foods you can eat with diabetes
- Foods to avoid with diabetes
- How to Calm a Crying Baby
- Free Ovulation calendar and Ovulation calculator
- When to start Solid foods for baby and Baby Feeding Schedule
- How to breastfeed a baby
Find information on breastfeeding, how to breastfeed a baby, breastfeeding positions, breastfeeding basics and breastfeeding problems/concerns.
List of foods to avoid when breastfeeding:
1. Avoid spicy foods: Spices such as chili, cinnamon, curry and red pepper should be avoided during breastfeeding. They might lead to gas problem in the baby.
Spicy foods can be very difficult for the digestive system of baby. They may drink your milk just fine but they be upset later on. Spicy foods can result in a baby having an upset stomach, diarrhea, and even vomiting. Some of them suffer from severe pain in the abdomen as well. This is definitely a category of foods to avoid when breastfeeding.
2. Common foods that have been found to cause a gassy in breastfed babies: Vegetables such as beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, hot peppers, onions, turnips and cucumber.
3. Avoid citrus fruits: Citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, pineapple and lemon should be avoided. Such foods can lead to nappy rash in the baby.
4. Soy, nuts, peanuts, dairy products, prunes, mango, wheat, egg and corn are some of the other food products that might cause an allergy in your baby and should be taken after consulting the doctor.
5. Avoid caffeine: Drinking or eating things with caffeine is fine up to 700 ml per day. Too much caffeine intake for your baby may result in an inability to sleep.
6. Avoid alcohol and tobacco as much as you can. In fact, if possible, stop taking alcohol in any form during the breastfeeding phase.
7. Avoid fried foods, coconut, artificial sweeteners, aspirin and cold medications. Always ask your health care provider first.