Three Easy Ways to Use Lemons In Your Diet
When Life Hands You Lemons......
Tips From the Nutrition Consultant
Using lemons in the diet may seem scary to some people. They are SOUR. Who wants that? For the longest time, I never had a clue what to do with lemons! I didn't even make my own lemonade! Too much work!
Now, that I'm wiser, but not that much older, I've leaned three easy ways to incorporate lemons into my daily and weekly nutritional regimen!
1.) Daily Detox
I have to mention this first, since I start my day with this!
Using lemons mixed in water first thing in the morning provides the body with a good dose of detoxifying power! By this, I mean that the lemon juice will work with the liver to help remove various nasties out of you. Drinking this first thing in the morning, before ANYTHING else, allows your metabolism to get a proper jump start.
- Take 1/3 of a lemon and squeeze into about 8-12 ounces of fresh water. You should be able to TASTE the lemon in the water, if you cannot, you have too much water.
2.) Salad and Vegetable ZING!
I eat a LOT of salads and often get bored with the same old taste. You will find me adding dried fruits, fresh fruits, crackers, guacamole, beans, and every other kind of "topping" to keep my taste buds on edge!
I use lemons to add ZING to my salads!
- Simply squeeze 1/3-1/2 (depending on the size of your salad) onto your greens! The lemons add some vitamin C which will help you to absorb the iron better, especially if you are eating darker leafy greens.
I use lemons to add ZING to my vegetables!
- Again, squeeze about 1/2 of a lemon onto either freshly steamed vegetables, or sautéed vegetables. The best vegetables that I find taste better with lemons are broccoli and cauliflower. You may want to experiment to see what you like best.
3.) Add Life to Your Fish!
Although I do not eat fish anymore, I still get wild caught fish for my family to eat on occasion! I have found in the past though, that oily fish taste so much better when they are either given some lemon juice or have slices of lemons added to them after cooking.
- Know that by adding lemons or lemon juice to your oily fish, you are allowing your body to absorb the oils in your body so much better. The lemon juice acts as a "carrier." Those oils are quite beneficial for your heart.
- Squeeze lemon juice on your fish once you are done cooking it. Another option is to add actual lemon slices to the fish for taste AND garnish! Hey, we can all be "gourmet" cooks, right? A tip to go with the lemon juice: add some fresh parsley for more vitamin C!
There are hundreds of ways to use lemons in the diet!!! These are simply the 3 main ways that I use them! Other edible uses are:
- Homemade lemonade!
- Using lemon "zest" in recipes
- Adding them to your Green Juices! (as in using them in a juicer)
- Homemade lemon pie, cake, cookies.....need I say more?
In addition, lemons are GREAT antibacterial agent and can be used to sanitize countertops and bathroom sinks! No chemicals needed!
A Lemon Does a Body Good!
Lemons are very ALKALINE! Yes, even though they are "citrus" fruits and are sour as can be, they are very alkaline in our bodies, helping us fight an overly acidic place. In other words, using lemon juice daily can help you fight against inflammation!
Lemons are also loaded with:
- Vitamin C
as well as.....
- Folate (and other B vitamins)
Start incorporating lemons in your diet today!
Here's to your good health!