Funeral Poems for the Loss of a Child
If you or a loved one recently experienced the death of a young child, funeral poems can offer support, comfort and encouragement needed to go on without that special person.
When parents lose their son or daughter, no matter the age or cause, they need comfort. They receive it from family and friends, but reading written words through poetry offers a special kind of support. Poems let Moms and Dads know that they aren't alone with their feelings of grief and isolation. Poetry also lifts their spirits, allowing them to connect with what has been written and offering a glimmer of hope for the future. Feelings associated with funeral poems for children typically include:
These feelings are considered normal and coincide with what is experienced during the typical stages of grief. Funeral poetry can also help parents find resolution with these emotions.
Types of Funeral Poems for the Loss of a Child
When looking for child loss funeral poems, the Internet is the first place to search. Here, you will find a multitude of authored and anonymous poems relating to all types of young ones' deaths including:
- Infant loss
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Accidental death
- Long illness such as cancer
- Special circumstances
If you have a situation that isn't listed here, it is more than likely that you will still find what you are looking for by searching for any of these terms.
Using Funeral Poems
Despite what it implies, funeral poems are not only used during funerals and memorials. Many times, you can include them as part of a funeral program, obituary, headstone, memorial website and sympathy card or letter. If you have a friend or loved one who is in this situation, a short note with a funeral poem is also appropriate.
Just as if you were using funeral poems for mothers, fathers or grandparents, if you plan on publicly using ones found on the Internet, it is best to try to get approval from the author. If that can't be done, at least give the author due credit, if possible.
Websites of Funeral Poems for the Loss of a Young Child
Many child-loss websites, forums and blogs list a variety of poems about the death of a child. Some of the more popular or common ones include:
- The Labor of Love has a large selection of original poetry by persons who experienced the death of a child. Many are very personal as they speak about specific causes of death such as stillbirth, miscarriage and illness/disease.
- Grieving Parents publishes some common poetry typically given to parents whose child has died. Poetry includes "What Makes a Mother," "Tiny Footprints" and "An Angel's Kiss."
- My Forever Child is a collection of sympathy poems submitted by readers who, in one way or another, have experienced the death of a child. The poems are divided into categories including multiple loss (twins) and miscarriage with poetry written exclusively for and by fathers, friends and relatives.
- Family Friend Poems publishes all kinds of original poetry relating to death including those for babies, brothers, daughters, sons and sisters.
Write Your Own Poetry
Writing your own poetry, especially if you are a parent whose child passed away, is a great way to start healing the pain you are feeling. Even if the poem doesn't make sense to you right now, jotting down your thoughts and feelings will help. When the time is right, go back and reread what you wrote to see how far you have come in your grief.