- Women's Health
Baby Gender Reveal Party Ideas
Gender Reveal Cake
Gender Reveal Party
One of the most exciting things about pregnancy is finding out if you are having a boy or a girl. The gender is a mystery until either the parents find out via ultrasound or until the birth of the baby.
Many expecting parents like to find out if their baby is a boy or girl so that they can start planning for the baby's birth, picking out the baby's name, and decorating the baby's nursery. Others just need to know because they hate surprises or they just can't wait! Whatever the reason, having a gender reveal party is a fun and exciting way to announce what the gender of the baby is.
Want to have your own gender reveal party? Here you will find gender reveal party ideas, food ideas, and game ideas.
Do you hope for a boy or a girl?
Gender Reveal Party Planning
Since your baby's gender will not be evident on an ultrasound until your pregnancy reaches 16-20 weeks, you will need to do some investigating to see when your mid-pregnancy ultrasound will be. Speak with your health care provider, and if possible, schedule the ultrasound early in the week so you have time to prepare for the party. Try to plan the party on a weekend when most people are available.
Something to consider is whether or not you want to know right away or wait for the party. If you want to know right away, you personally can take care of many of the decorations, games, or other items that will reveal the gender of your baby. If you do not want to know, you will need to find a trusted person who will keep the gender a secret but will take care of everything. This person could be a family member or a friend, but it could also be someone like a party planner who could take care of all the details.
Another thing to consider is where you will have the party. Most of the time, these parties are held at your home or a family or friend's home since it's an intimate get together. Larger locations or those that can cater are usually saved for the baby showers, but they can be venues for the gender reveal as well.
Ideas for Baby Gender Reveal Parties
What kind of party are you going to have? You'll need to think of a theme for your party before moving on in your planning. Here are some ideas for baby gender reveal parties:
- What is the Baby Going to Bee? Bee themed party.
- Whooo wants to know? Owl themed party.
- Bows and Bow Ties. Guests wear a hair bow if they think the baby is a girl or a bow tie if they think it's a boy.
- Bows and Mustaches. A variation of the bows and bow ties. Instead of a bow tie for a boy, guests wear a fake mustache (very popular!).
- Team Boy or Team Girl. Guests decide which team they're on and wear the appropriate color.
- It's All Ducky. Rubber duck themed party, with blue and pink ducks.
- Baby Luau. Guests wear pink or blue leis and decorations are Hawaiian.
- Baby Mystery. Throughout the party, guests can find clues about the baby's gender or act out a 'story' (like a murder mystery, but with a happy ending).
- Baby Bibs. Guests would wear a pink or blue bib. (The unused color can be saved for the next baby or donated).
- Baby Western. Baby cowboy or cowgirl? Pink and blue cowboy hats!
Gender reveal parties can be themed around holidays as well:
- New Years. The 'baby' that brings in the New Year at midnight will either be a boy or girl.
- Valentine's Day. Pink and blue hearts.
- St. Patrick's Day. Pink and blue shamrocks.
- Easter. Pink and blue bunnies or Easter eggs.
- Cinco de Mayo. Mexican theme, with pink or blue pinata.
- Fourth of July. Pink, white, and blue!
- Thanksgiving. Baby pumpkins, baby pilgrims, baby American Indians.
- Christmas. Baby snowflakes, baby snowmen, pink or blue candy canes, and a present reveal.
Gender Revealing Parties
Gender Reveal Video
Gender Reveal Party Invitations
Gender reveal party invitations are usually gender neutral in greens and yellows, but they can be a mix of blues and pinks as well. What is on the invitation depends on what kind of party you'll have.
You can also keep it simple and make photo invitations using the ultrasound picture. You'll have the guests guessing way before they even arrive, adding to the suspense.
A fun twist would be to make your own video as an invitation and provide the link to family and friends who are invited to the party. It could be a lead in to the theme of the party and would be great for an introduction to a baby gender mystery themed party!
Baby Gender Reveal Invitations
Buy these adorable bow or bowtie gender reveal invites for your gender reveal party!
Food for Gender Reveal Parties
Food at gender reveal parties can go along with the theme or use the colors pink and blue as well. Foods can be dipped in colored icing, or filled with colored filling. Here are some food ideas:
- Cake with colored icing inside (can be decorated for theme)
- Cup cakes with colored icing inside
- Cake pops with colored cake inside (very popular!)
- Cookies with color filled center
- Pink or blue colored candies
- Fortune cookies
- Pretzels dipped in pink or blue icing
- Veggie or fruit tray with food-dye colored dips
- Blue or pink ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Cream puffs with colored cream in center
- Pink and blue jelly beans
- Pink or blue dyed eggs
- Cannoli with pink or blue filling
- Pink and blue marshmellows
Gender Reveal Cake
DIY Gender Reveal Cake
Gender Reveal Party Games
Before the big reveal, it would be a ton of fun to play some games to get your guests excited. Here are some games and how to play:
Bean bag toss. Place two small hula hoops, one blue and one pink, on the floor or outside in the grass. Standing 10 or more feet away, guests must try to throw their bean bag in the hoop with the gender of their team (boy or girl). Most in a hoop wins.
Guess that celebrity baby. Make a list of celebrity baby names and who their parents are. Ask the teams to match the babies to the parents. Most correct wins.
Don't Say 'Baby'. Give guests a certain amount of either blue or pink colored clothes pins or stickers. Whenever a guest says the word 'baby', another guest can take one of their pins or stickers. Whoever has the most pins or stickers at the determined time wins; points can be allotted to teams if desired or a prize can be given to the individual.
Relay races. Teams must complete a relay race where they go to stations to complete baby care tasks, like changing a diaper, clothing a baby, etc. using a doll.
Take the 'What Do the Old Wives Say' quiz. Create a quiz or ask trivia questions using old wives' tales concerning gender predictions (see chart below). Most correct wins.
Baby Gender Reveal Game Idea
As an extra bonus for the games, guests can be divided into teams, and the wins can be tallied for the boys or the girls.
Boy or Girl?
Old Wives Tales about Gender Prediction
Cold hands and feet
Acne, stealing your beauty
Ring test: swings in a circle over belly
Ring test: swings back and forth
Heart rate under 140 beats a minute
Heart rate over 140 beats a minute
Salty and sour cravings
Hubby does not have pregnancy symtpoms
Hubby shares pregnancy symptoms
No morning sickness
Morning sickness all during 1st trimester
Baby Gender Revealing Ideas
How will you announce the gender of the baby at the party? Here are some fun ideas for your party:
- Food item colored pink or blue (see above for ideas)
- Pink or blue balloons in a box
- Scratch off lottery cards revealing gender
- Pinata filled with blue or pink items
- Present with blue or pink outfit or toy
- Egg hunt with one egg revealing the gender
- Fortune cookies revealing gender
- Writing boy or girl on the mom's tummy
- 'It's a Boy!' or 'It's a Girl' banner drop
- Nesting dolls with the last one revealing gender
- Popping balloons with a pin to find slip of paper with gender
- Pouring pink or blue Kool Aid from a concealed container
- Neutral gender doll with a diaper that opens up to say boy or girl
- Jar filled with pink and blue jelly beans; more of one color reveals gender
- Grab box with pink and blue ribbons; when pulled, reveals gender item from box
- Water balloon drop; balloons are filled with colored water
- Carved out pumpkin with gender inside when the lid is lifted
Balloon Gender Reveal
Gender Reveal Party Ideas on Pinterest
Need some Pinspiration for your party? Check out my gender reveal party ideas board on Pinterest! Look for PracticalMommy2 and view my Baby Gender Reveal Party board.
Gender Reveal Party
Gender revealing parties are great ways to find out the gender of your baby while involving all of your family and friends. No matter how you do it, have a lot of fun!
What's it going to be? Boy or girl? Oh the suspense!
Will you be surprised that day? Good luck with your baby!