- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Home Remedies
Get Rid of That Pesky Winter Cold!
I don't know about you all but I can almost mark the exact week when I'll be hit with that monstrous cold. You know the one I'm talking about where you've got red, swollen eyes, a fever, and a body that hurts so bad you just lay in your mountain of used tissues.
Being a full time college student with a part time job, I don't have a week to recover. Thankfully, with my moms extensive knowledge of natural remedies, I can wipe this cold out before it takes me down.
Lets get down to business
- You've heard this one several times before, I'm sure, but keep yourself hydrated! Water with lemon is great, but it's highly recommended that you keep sipping on hot beverages.
My suggestion is green tea. I add a few ingredients to turn my tea into a detoxifying tea, warning: it doesn't taste the best, but it kicks that colds booty.
Make your tea as normal, then add
- lemon juice (fresh is best)
- cayenne pepper (I have also been told fresh ginger works but I haven't tried it yet)
I don't measure any of this out, but add as much as you think you can handle. This will burn your throat if its sore, but I promise this tea really does help.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar.
I take 2 TBSP everyday, even when I'm not sick. It has so many benefits! It can lower blood sugar levels, cholesterol and blood pressure levels! But it is also very helpful in detoxifying, and believe me, you will notice it working quickly.
Warning: when it starts working, it will cause your stomach to cramp.
3. Okay, I think this is my last "Ew, I have to eat that?!" remedy
Garlic. Take a clove and press it, swallow it. This works wonders on a sore throat, as well as detoxing. It will make you sweat and give you some kicking breath!
4. Take a nice, steamy bath...!
I even take these detox baths when I'm not sick, they're so relaxing!
Start filling your bath with hot water, (make sure it's comfortable hot, not burning your skin, obviously) then add
- Epsom salt (for adults over 100 lbs, put 2 cups)
- Baking soda (1-2 cups, this will also make your skin super soft!)
- Ground ginger or ginger tea (1 tsp up to 1/3 cup depending on tub size and sensitivity. Now, this will make you sweat like no other, so don't freak out because you are sweating out toxins that are making you sick. It is recommended that you wrap yourself in a warm blanket after the bath to continue getting rid of these toxins but this step is entirely optional)
Aim to soak for at least 20 minutes, but the longer the better. If you begin to get too hot, add hot water until you cool off and remember, your body is working hard to get these toxins out, so you might get light headed or dizzy.
It is VERY important to re-hydrate after this bath!
5. Now, I know this isn't a natural medicine, but Nyquil
This very well might be your best friend during cold season if you want to get a good few hours of sleep, which brings me to my last piece of advice
Your body is trying to fight off this infection! Don't be afraid to be lazy for a day, sleep, sleep, sleep.
Lay on the couch and enjoy the Harry Potter marathon, (it seems like there's always one on ABC Family!)
Which natural remedy improves your symptoms the best?
This is the hot beverage I suggested earlier, just without the green tea. I tried this version and it does taste pretty good and works awesome!
Last bit of advice
Prenatal vitamins aren't just for pregnancy, ladies. These little guys have
- folic acid
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin E
Taking these vitamins regularly will help keep you healthy all year round!
© 2013 Megan Jasper