- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
The best super foods to cure everything from skin care to stress. Use food as medicine.
What your skin to glow? Check out what foods will help you get your skin looking fabulous!
- Tuna- contains selenium, it helps defend your skin against cell damage; it also increases your elastin which keeps your skin feeling baby soft and it tightens up your skin as well. In addition to skin benefits, tuna also helps keep your brain & your heart healthy!
- Low fat dairy- There are numerous kinds of low fat dairy, for purposes of this article I will tell you about the benefits of plain yogurt (I think Greek is the best). In order to keep yourself from premature aging the vitamin A in low fat dairy works miracles. Retinol is a derivative of vitamin A, it is most commonly used in anti-wrinkle creams and lotions. Getting your fair share of low fat dairy will also help strengthen your bones, the calcium is great for strengthening your hair and keeping your teeth strong.
- Green Tea- If you want to lose a few extra lbs, green tea will help you feel full and aide you in weight loss. But the most important part of green ea is the amazing antioxidant properties protecting your from harmful ultra violet rays. Green tea is also an anti-inflammatory which will really help to make your skin look it's best!
Sleep problems-insomnia & more
Are you having a hard time going to sleep at night or are you waking up and unable to get back to sleep? Try these out, foods are each known to help with different issues associated with sleep.
- Kiwi- Studies have shown that eating a kiwi before bedtime will improve the quality and quantity of your sleep. Kiwi is also known as an immune booster, it aids your heart in getting healthy and is great for your respiratory system (cleaning out your lungs and making them stronger). Kiwi is very high in fiber which makes it a great tool for keeping your digestive tract in working order, and the vitamin C & potassium it contains will help fend off seasonal colds. Kiwi also has antioxidant properties that we all know to be a superb fighter of free radicals.
- Cherries- Cherries are now known as a "super food". They help by reducing the amount of sleep issues you experience. Melatonin found in cherries also improves the amount of sleep you get and the quality of sleep. You can drink a glass of cherry juice before bedtime or take a cherry supplement. Cherries also help ease gout and fight off cancer cells.
- Walnuts- have two very important ingredients and these are Melatonin & Tryptophan both known for their ability to help maintain better sleep patterns and quality of sleep. The antioxidants in walnuts are also known for their protection against diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, type 2 Diabetes & Cancer.
Stress, we all know what that means!
The best foods you use to combat stress are the following:
- Mushrooms- Do you suffer from stress related to seasonal affective disorder aka SAD? Mushrooms are rich in vitamin D, selenium, both known to be energy boosters and mood enhancers.
- Dark Chocolate- I didn't need a study or an MD to tell me that chocolate is a magical food that can fix any ailment and make me very very happy! In a study of stressed out volunteer workers, they found that eating 1.5 oz of chocolate everyday lowered stress levels significantly. Magnesium which is found in chocolate is known to combat menstrual cramps, depression and all around irritability. So HINT HINT to all you husbands out there, take the 5 minutes to get your woman some chocolate and it might make life at home much more pleasant!
Underweight? Need to pack on some pounds?
If you need to gain some weight or manage being underweight yet still maintaining your health here are some great food suggestions:
- Sweet potato- Potato's are a superb source of carbohydrates and they have more calories than any other vegetable. It is also very high in fiber, antioxidants and is a great way to develop muscle.
- Peanut butter- Rich in Omega 3's Peanut butter is one of the best foods for natural weight gain. Try to steer away from unnatural peanut butters due to the high amounts of saturated fats. Resveratrol is also found in peanut butter which we recently found out is great for heart health.
- Fatty meats- Animal fat contains larger amounts of protein that aides in weight gain, and building muscle. Eating meat also increases your iron levels and energy.
Have a common cold? Feeling one coming on? Try these foods and see if you can fight this cold off so you can get back to your life!
- Citrus- Oranges, grapefruit, limes, lemons all very good sources of high amounts of vitamin C. If you eat these fruits as soon as you feel a cold emerging, it can shave at least a day off the length of your cold.
- Oily fish- Salmon, Mackerel, and other oily fish have large amounts of Omega 3's that knock the wind right out of a cold. Fish oil supplements have been shown in studies to reduce anxiety symptoms that lead to lowering your immune system thus leaving you open to catching a cold or flu. Fish oil also acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- Garlic- If you chew your garlic raw you can greatly decrease the length of your cold. Once your cold is gone and you feel a little frisky, garlic has been shown in studies to help increase sexual desire and performance!
Did this article help you?
© 2014 Karen Ranoni