- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Gouty Arthritis Or Gout - Its Symptoms, Causes And Control With Natural Home Remedies And Ayurveda
About Gouty Arthritis
Gouty Arthritis is commonly known as GOUT. When it affects the big toe, it is known as 'podagra'.
Gout is a form of inflammatory arthritis mostly affecting the big toe, in almost 50% of all cases. Under an acute attack, there is redness, swelling, warmth and pain at the affected joint. There can be fever too. It can also affect other joints like the ankles, heels, knees,elbows, hand, wrist and fingers.
Night is the usual time for a gout attack, the most likely reason being that the body temperature is lower due to rest and the weather is cooler at night. Gout attacks come on suddenly without any prewarning. The intensity of the attack causes one to wake up with excruciating pain.
Gout is more common in men than women.
Gout can be managed with a strict adherence to diet and other lifestyle changes.
Gout - Some Predisposing Factors
- Excess uric acid in the body, either due to more uric acid production or less removal of uric acid. This excess uric acid then cystallises around the joints and tissues causing inflammation and pain.
- Red meat, organ meats, foods rich in fats, oils, alcohol and beer consumption, sedentary lifestyle increase the risk of gout.
- A family history of Gout makes one a higher risk candidate.
- Diseases like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, kidney diseases, anemia especially sickle cell anemia and cancer, psoriasis,
- Certain drugs like low dose aspirin, taken to relieve headaches, also increases risk for gout. The very low doses used in thinning blood does not have this effect.
- Diuretics, when used to treat certain health conditions like excess body fluids, hypertension etc.
These diseases and medications raise the uric acid levels and hence increase the susceptibility to gout.
Natural And Home Remedies To Treat Gout
Cherries are effective in treating gout. Eat 10-20 cherries everyday on waking up in the morning. Always consume fresh cherries. They reduce inflammation and pain.
Cherry juice about 175 ml can be taken daily, mixed in water if need be. Cherries reduce body fat, lower cholesterol leading to reduce risk of heart disease and diabetes.
Cherries can be consumd in many other forms like capsules, juice concentrate, powder etc.
Tart cherries are believed to be better than the sweet cherries in treating gout but both the varieties are effective.
Mix 100 ml beetroot juice, 100 ml cucumber juice and 300 ml carrot juice. This combination is very effective in relieving gout. Take daily.
150 ml of juice of french beans gives relief. Take everyday.
Take 2 apples daily - one after each major meal. The malic acid content neutralizes the uric acid.
A diet of only bananas for a few days will give a lot of relief. Take 8-9 bananas daily during this period.
Take juice of 1 lemon in a glass of water every morning on empty stomach daily. Vitamin C in lemon makes the connective tissues strong while the citric acid dissolves the uric acid and helps in its removal through urine.
A paste made of 1/2 cup charcoal powder and 1/4 cup flaxseed meal with water gives relief when applied as a poultice on the affected joint. Replace it after 4 hours. You can leave it on when asleep.
Soak the affected joint in a mixture of water with 1/3 cup of ground ginger for 30 minutes. Wash the joint thoroughly after this treatment as ginger can cause irritation once it dries.
Mix equal quantities of whole wheat powder and mustard powder and add just enough water to make a paste. Apply on the affected part and leave overnight for relief.
- Triphala powder, 1 tsp 2 times a day with warm water to reduce inflammation.
- Guggulu herb which improves metabolism and helps keep high blood pressure in check.
Diet For Those Having Gout
- Take light food, preferably steamed or boiled. Consume wholegrain bread and cereals.
- No yogurt and dairy products to be avoided.
- Consume seasonal fruit.
- Increase Vitamin C intake.
- Avoid eggs, organ meat and red meat. In fact, avoid all foods which are high uric acid producing especially foods high in protein.
- Avoid tea, coffee, white flour, fried and processsed foods.
- Salmon and chicken can be taken sparingly.
- Drink plenty of water firstly, to keep well hydrated and secondly, to keep the uric acid diluted and aiding its regular flushing out.
- Avoid caffeine, soda drinks, alcohol and beer.
- Spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, peas, lentils, beans, mushrooms, oats and yeast products, to be avoided.
It is best to prepare a gout food chart that makes it easy to prepare a new dish everyday.
- When you have an acute attack, drink just orange juice and water for 3 days. After the symptoms subside take an all fruit diet for next 3 days. Thereafter, take fresh fruits, sprouts and raw vegetables.
No canned, refined, processed and fried foods during this fast.
Take a daily enema to clean the bowels during this period.
- Avoid undue stress and tension
- Do moderate exercise in fresh air.
- Apply cold packs while going to bed.
- Reduce weight if overweight.
EPSOM SALT FOOT BATH
To 1 gallon of hot water add 2 cups of epsom salt and 1 cup of vinegar. Keep the affected foot dipped in this soak for 20 minutes. It removes the swelling and pain extremely fast.
Tips For Maintaining Joint Health
- Consume phytonutrient rich foods. They reduce inflammation, control free radicals, repair tissues, lubricate the joints, strengthen the muscles and eliminate toxins.
- Increase consumption of Omega-3 fatty acid rich foods. They also reduce inflammation. Good sources are flaxseeds, sprouted walnuts, tuna the ones with low mercury levels.
- Decrease consumption of omega-6 fatty acid rich foods, polyunsaturated oils like corn, soyabean, sunflower and safflower oils.
- Increase dietary fiber consumption. Use coconut flour and ground flax seed to add to many foods and beverages.
- Go high on Vitamin C and calcium consumption by exposing the skin to sunlight and eating foods like broccoli, sunflower seeds, salmon, spinach, turnip greens and mustard greens.
- Use herbs like garlic, ginger, turmeric which also boost immunity.
- Eat foods with a low glycemic index like brown rice, winter squash, apple etc.
An Article On Arthritis By The Author
- Rheumatism And Arthritis - Symptoms, Causes And Its Control With Natural Home Remedies
Rheumatism and arthritis are two diseases that can be controlled by proper lifestyle management and natural home remedies. To know more about them and how they can be controlled, read on...
Make this ayurvedic natural remedy yourself
Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedy For Gout (Video given alongside)
Take 10 grams each of the following ingredients. Indian names are given alongside in parantheses
- Ginger powder
- Liquorice - (Yashtimadhu)
- Indian tinospora - (Guduchi or Giloy)
- Picrorhiza/Picrorhiza kurroa - (Katuki)
- Honey - As required
Powder all ingredients before mixing. Make a paste by adding required quantity of honey.
Take 1-2 gms of this paste twice a day after meals.
How the herbs act?
- Guduchi benefits by increasing immunity levels and reducing inflammation, thus relieving pain and swelling.
- Ginger and Liquorice also reduce inflammation
- Katuki helps in normalising the liver and digestive enzyme levels
These medicines can be purchased from any ayurvedic medicine store.
Some Articles On Gout Treatment With Natural Remedies
- Cure Gout with Natural Remedies and Herbs
Gout can be cured with natural remedies, diet, and herbs, without conventional medical treatment.
- How to Get Rid of Gout Fast in 5 Easy Steps
Here are 5 top tips on how to get rid of gout fast and naturally. Discover how to stop gout without costly drugs with their nasty side effects.
Some Of my other hubs on Health Conditions
- About Seasonal Allergies, Pollen Allergy, Hay Fever And Natural Home Remedies To Control Them
Seasonal allergies are on the increase due to many factors some of which are within our control. Want to know how you can cope up with these seasonal and pollen allergy making some lifestyle changes and using some natural home remedies? Read on...
- Foods To Consume Or Avoid In Dysfunctional Dyspepsia And Natural Home Remedies For Indigestion
Indigestion or dyspepsia is caused by stress, indiscriminate eating, an erratic lifestyle, etc. It can be treated by following some preventive measures coupled with natural foods readily available in every home. To know how, read on...
- Some Natural Home Remedies For Acne, Acne Scars, Face And Skin Blemishes
Acne, scars, pimples, face and skin blemishes, marks, spots etc are very common health conditions these days. Though a variety of causes are responsible, they can be prevented and treated with natural home remedies. To read more, read on...
- Natural Home Remedies To Control High Blood Pressure Or Hypertension
High blood pressure is more of a lifestyle disease than anything else. Even chronic cases respond to a sensible lifestyle change along with natural remedies which are available in every home. To find out which natural food benefits in high blood pres
- 8 Home Remedies For Health Conditions
Here are some very easily available, natural home remedies, to treat a wide variety of health conditions that we encounter in our daily lives. To know more about these easily available home remedies, read on...
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements.
Home Remedy For Gout Using Giloy or Indian Tinospora
Gout Natural Cures That Work
© 2012 Rajan Singh Jolly