- Exercise & Fitness
GymPact Review | Referral Code
How often do you workout?
How many of us have a goal to get regular exercise? I know I do. Most of the time, motivation is the biggest issue. You always find some excuse or way out to avoid exercise. What if I told you there was an app that would charge you money if to you didn't work out? Would you be more likely to hit the gym or go for that walk if there were $5 at stake? If you are like me, motivated by money, than the thought of losing money will get you to exercise. GymPact does just that.
What is Gympact?
GymPact is a new application for your IPhone. The developers are currently working on a version for the Andriod as well. GymPact's developers use behavioral economics to get you to work out. Th developers claim that their app gets users to workout 90% of the days they commit.
Update: GymPact for Android has been launched January 1st, 2013!
I highly recommend this for use with the IPhone while working out.
How Does GymPact Work
The simplest way to explain how GymPact works is that you are betting on yourself.
- Set your pact. Commit to a number of days per week you will work out. Anywhere between one and seven. The average user picks three days per week.
- Set your stakes. This is the amount you are willing to pay if you don't complete your pact. The stakes are done in $5 intervals up to $50.
- If you do not complete your pact, you are charged the amount of your stakes multiplied by the number of days you missed.
- This money goes into a pool with any other money from users who have not completed their pacts.
- If you do complete your pact, you are not charged anything. In fact, the money in the pool is diveded up between all of the users who did complete their pact. You get paid to work out. The more days you committed to, the bigger your chunk of the pool will be. Most users report earn around $0.50 for each workout they committed to. So, if you are the typical user committing to 3 days per week at $0.50 per workout, you could earn $78 per year.
- You can do these workouts at the gym and/or through RunKeeper.
- Once you have earned $10, you can withdrawal the funds through PayPal.
- If you become sick or injured or even just too busy, you can change your pact to a lower number or schedule a break to avoid paying a fee for missing the workout. But, make sure you do this before Sunday at midnight so that the change takes effect on Monday. Monday is the start of the GymPact week.
- If you fail to meet your pact because you are sick, you can actually be excused with a doctor's note. You just need to send in the form located at http://www.gym-pact.com/files/medical_excuse_form.pdf.
Official GymPact Website
There are a few simple rules you need to follow to make sure everything goes smoothly.
- Only one workout per day is counted.
- When you arrive at the gym, you need to check in, stay for 30 minutes and then check out. The app will verify your location to make sure that you stay the required time. If you try to leave before the time is up, it will alert you to stay the full 30 minutes.
- If you use RunKeeper, you still need to make sure you run, walk or bike at least 30 minutes. You also must be moving at a speed of 2mph or faster for those 30 minutes. Just to be sure you have fulfilled this, I suggest walking for an extra couple of minutes.
- Make sure you have completed your pact by midnight on Sunday.
Referral Code Program
GymPact has now added a referral program that could be very profitable to us. Within the application, you can invite friends through Facebook, email or text to join GymPact using your specific referral code. If they sign up using your code, you and your friend both get $5. If none of your friends have invited you but you still want the $5 for signing up, you can use my referral code tibiaMegan.
Adding Your Gym to GymPact
GymPact does a really great job at making sure every gym possible is in their system. I, myself, have been to a few different gyms and never had a problem checking in. The gym is always available. However, if you are in a small town or are going to a very new gym that is not is the GymPact system yet, you can add it relatively easy.
All you have to do to add your gym is type in the name and address and highlight it within the box on the satellite image that comes up. You will be able to check in at the gym you created immediately. But, any further workouts at this location will have to be once GymPact has approved the gym addition. If it is a legitimate workout facility, it will be added. Don't try adding your mom or dad's house or your workplace because it will know and refuse the request. I know, I tried to cheat.
GymPact just got even better as they have launched GymPact Anywhere. It used to be upsetting that you could only participate in GymPact if you went out and walked, biked, ran or went to the gym. Many people complained that they would love to use GymPact but they do all their workouts in the comfort of their living room. Now, even those workouts count! GymPact is finding a way to make it possible for everyone to get in on the Pact action with GymPact Anywhere. It works by tracking your movement. I'm not completely sure how they do this because I'm no tech genius. But, the facts are that you have an hour and a half to complete the 30 minutes of activity. The app will alert you when your activity is enough to pass the threshold and be counted towards your pact. So, do some situps, pushups or jumping jacks and make each minute count toward your pact.
Getting Paid With GymPact
- You first need to make sure you have a PayPal account
- Sign into your GymPact application
- Tap the button in the top, left corner
- Tap "withdraw my rewards"
- Type in the amount you would like to withdraw, make sure you have accrued at least $10
- Type your paypal email address
- Tap Cash Out!
- You're done, you will receive your payment in a few days