- Men's Health & Wellness
How to Reduce Hair fall Naturally
Hair loss is one of the common problems that affect everybody, when you go through the age transition from teenage to 20s. But before that, one must really know to distinguish between the normal and abnormal hair loss. The hair growth of a normal human being involves three different stages. The first is the growing phase, which is termed as ‘anagen’ and the duration of this phase is about 1000 days. The second one is the transitional phase called ‘catagen’. During the catagen period hair stop to grow and the duration of this phase is about 10 days. The final stage is called ‘telogen’, which lasts for 100 days. After the completion of all the three stages, the hair falls out to get replaced by the new sets of hair. Similarly the new hair will also go through the same three phases.
A normal scalp of a human consists of more than 1 million hairs. Most people hate to see hair fall and will feel that, they should not lose even a single hair. This is absolutely impossible thing to happen. For a normal human being hair fall of about 100 hairs is considered as normal. As per the life cycle of hair, 100 strands of hair tend to fall out and grow. If the hair loss is more than 100 strands then you certainly need treatment to prevent from further damage and take necessary preventive measures.
- Stress is one of the major causes, which results in hair fall all over the scalp and also patchy hair loss.
- Poor nutrition is another major reason for hair fall. This applies normally to girls and some boys too, who limit their food for keeping their body slim and often will suffer from severe hair loss after 5 to 7 weeks.
If you want to get rid of hair loss, you must have a healthy diet, which is rich in proteins, vitamins (biotin) and minerals (Zinc). If you are not able to have nutritious food, ask your doctor to prescribe for multi vitamin tablets.
- Hair treatments like straightening, perming and colouring should be prevented, as you may end up losing 10% the volume of hair two months after such treatments. You can minimize the damage however. Prefer to do hair treatment once or twice in a year. Use necessary hair protecting serums before treatments and use appropriate after care products after the treatment.
- Over enthusiastic oil massage should be avoided as this leads in uprooting the hair during the telogen phase which results in air trauma.
- Hair is mostly fragile and weak during the wet state, so do not stress and comb during that period. Wait till they are semi-dry.
- Holding a hair dryer too close to the hair scalps may severely damage the scalps and result in hair loss. Hence maintain a distance of about 8 to ten inches from the hair scalp.
- Do not pull or manipulate hair to maintain tight hair styles which will result in hair loss in front areas.
- Losing hair during post-pregnancy period is normal but if the hair shows no signs of letting up, you need to consult a doctor.
- Certain medicine causes more hair loss than normal. If you are so concerned about this, ask your doctor to prescribe medicine without such side effects or ask for alternate medicines. Hair loss during illness and surgery are normal and will re-grow with healthy diet and rest.
Feel free to comment about your experience on hair loss.