- Exercise & Fitness»
Happy Baby Pose - Yoga You Can Do
Happy Baby Pose
Ananda Balasana (Sanskrit Ananda -happy, blissful; bala - child; asana - pose)
Happy Baby Pose is a delightful way to both begin and end the day. It's a beginner pose available to almost everyone. Benefits include opening the hips, chest and shoulders, lengthening the inner thighs and hamstrings, and releasing tension in the low back. Happy Baby Pose slows the heart rate, calms the mind, and promotes relaxation.
- Lying down with the knees bent, feet flat on the floor slightly wider than hip-width apart, rest with the palms up.
- Bending the knees into the chest spread the knees to the outsides of the body.
- Holding the shins (or back of thighs) with the hands gently press the knees toward the floor.
- Reaching upward, grasp the outsides of the feet to enhance the stretch.
- Pressing the buttocks toward the floor, lengthen the spine.
- Relaxing in the pose, breathe for five to seven breaths.
Adjustment can be made by keeping the feet together or using the peace fingers around the great toes in place of hand outside.
Play. Roll side to side. Move your legs. Roll on the spine. Laugh. Be happy.