Health Benefits Of The Green Cooling Cucumber
Latin Name : Cucumis sativus
In India, cucumber is called 'Kakri' and 'Kheera'.
Cucumber belongs to the family Cucurbitaceae. It is a plant that creeps on the ground but can be made to climb on to supports that it does with the help of its tendrils.
Cucumber originated in India but is now grown worldwide. It is the 4th most grown vegetable in the world. The cucumber vine has large leaves. Though it is a fruit botanically, it is regarded as a vegetable. Over 90% of cucumber is water.
There are 3 varieties of cucumber.
- Slicing - Eaten mainly in fresh and raw.
- Pickling - Used in making pickles.
- Burpless - A sweeter variety with thinner skin than the above 2 types and almost seedless. They are so called as cucumber seeds are believed to cause gas in some people and this variety does not.
Cucumbers are easy to grow in the home garden. They produce prolifically and do not require a lot of time and care. Picking fruits regularly ensures regular availability of fresh produce.
Uses Of Cucumber
- To Relieve Puffiness Around Eyes
Chill a cucumber and cut 2 slices. Keep them over closed eyes for 10 - 15 minutes. The cucumber hydrates the skin tissue around the eyes while chilling it contracts the blood vessels around the eyes and reduces swelling.
- For A Cooling Summer Bath
Add 1 sliced cucumber to a tub of warm water to which you have added 2 cups epsom salt and a fistful of cut peppermint leaves. Soak in this refreshing water for a while to avail of its cooling benefits.
- For Relieving Fatigue
When you are feeling tired, consume a cucumber. The B vitamins and carbohydrates will give a quick boost to your energy levels.
- To Prevent Bathroom Mirror Fogging
When having a hot shower or bath the mirror tends to get foggy. To prevent this rub a cucumber slice on the mirror.
- To Get Rid Of Garden Slugs/Pests
Put some cucumber slices in a small aluminium tin. The chemicals relesed by cucumber react with the aluminium and emit a scent that sends these pests running for their life.
- An Instant Cellulite Fix
Rub 1 -2 slices of cucumber on the areas of the skin affected by cellulite. This causes collagen in the skin to firm up thereby making the cellulite less noticeable.
- To Prevent Hangover Headache
Eat some cucumber slices before going to sleep. The sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes in cucumber makes one feel refreshed on waking up.
- As a shoe Shine
Rub a freshly cut cucumber slice on the shoe to get an instant shine.
- To Fix A Squeaky Hinge
Rub a cucumber slice on the affected hinge to make it silent.
- To Clean Taps And Sinks
Rub a cucumber slice on stainless steel surfaces of taps, sinks and the like to remove water marks and make them shine.
- For Sunburn
Rub cucumber slices to soothe sunburnt skin.
- For Constipation
Eat a cucumber daily to prevent constipation. The seeds are diuretic.
- For The Skin
Cucumber is cooling and soothes, heals and softens the skin. Due to its cleaning and cleansing properties it makes the skin soft and supple.
Because of its usefulness in treating skin problems, cucumber is used in many cosmetic preparations like face packs, facials, creams etc.
Cucumber VarietiesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Cucumber Nutritional Benefits
Cucumber is very low in calories about 15 calories/100 grams. It is free of fat and cholesterol and is a good source of dietary fiber.
Cucumber is a very good source of potassium about 147 mg/100 grams while at the same time is very low in sodium, just 2 mg/100 grams.
It has useful anti oxidants in the form of alpha and beta carotenes, Vitamins A & C, lutein and zeaxanthin.
Cucumber contains high levels of Vitamin K about 17 mg/100 grams.
Cucumber (Cucumis sativus), raw,
Nutritive value per 100 g
(Source: USDA National Nutrient data base)
Percentage of RDA
7 micro gm
16.4 micro gm
45 micro gm
26 micro gm
23 micro gm
Health Benefits Of Cucumbers
- Not only does cucumber keep the body hydrated being over 90% water, it helps keep the body weight in check as it is also low in calories as well as helping to flush out toxins from the body.
- Cucumber contains 3 lignans - lariciresinol, pinoresinol and secoisolarirecinol. These lignans have been reported to reduce the risk of various cancers especially those of the prostrate, breast, ovary and the uterus.
Also, the phytonutrients- the cucurbitans, that are in high levels,also provide anti cancer properties.
- Cucumber contains sterols that reduce cholesterol levels. The good levels of potassium, magnesium and fiber regulate blood pressure as well.
- Cucumber is good for hair growth as it contains silicon and sulfur. To aid hair growth, juice of cucumber with carrot, lettuce and spinach should be taken regularly.
- Cucumber has anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties. The lignans and flavonoids, vitamin C, beta carotene and manganese, are responsible for these benefits.
- Silica in cucumbers also prevent chipping and splitting of nails.
- The high levels of Vitamin K is responsible in building strong bones and controlling neuronal damage in the brain of those affected by Alzheimer's.
- The vitamin C and caffeic acid content of cucumber prevents water retention and therefore applying it topically reduces swellings around the eyes, helps in treating burns and dermatitis.
- Cucumber contain the protein digesting enzyme Erepsin. so eating cucumber with high protein meats can aid in digestion.
- Consuming cucumber is beneficial for those with diabetes as it contains a hormone that is required by the pancreas to produce insulin.
- Silica in cucumber is in good amounts and it promotes healthy joints and strenthens the connective tissue.
A mixture of carrot juice and cucumber juice lowers uric acid levels and relieves pain of gout and arthritis.
- Fresh cucumber juice relieves heartburn, acidity, gastritis and even ulcers.
Some Cucumber Facts
Lack of water, poor quality soil or other streesors can cause cucumbers to become bitter.
A thin layer of wax is applied to most cucumbers before being sold to impart a shine for improving their appeal. Cucumber skin has no natural shine.
Cucumber when kept with tomatoes can spoil faster.
China is the largest producer of cucumbers worldwide while in the U.S. Florida is the leading producer.
The largest cucumber is believed to have weighed 59 pounds.
"Cool as a cucumber" is a well known phrase. A fact that is true in reality as the inside of a cucumber can be up to 20 degrees cooler than the the outside temperature. No wonder it is a a summer time favorite.
Cucumber Face Wash Recipe
- Homemade Cucumber Face Wash Recipe
A homemade cucumber face wash is easy to make and much more beneficial to your skin than store bought varieties. Here is a face wash recipe that is cost effective, chemical free and suitable for all ages, sexes and skin types thanks to the wonderful
Cucumber Spa Water
- How to Make Cucumber Spa Water
Ever thought of making your own cucumber water? Here I show you how easy it is to improve simple tap water by introducing cucumber, lemon and mint to make a highly flavoured and beneficial spa water. Read on to find out the benefits of the ingredient
Cucumber Martini Recipe
- Cucumber Martinis - How to Make a Cucumber Martini
See how easy and refreshing Cucumber Martinis are with this simple recipe.
Cucumber Smoothie Recipe
- Spa Cucumber Smoothie Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Food Network Spa Cucumber Smoothie recipe.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Some of my other hubs on Healthy Foods
- Flax Benefits And Health Benefits Of Flaxseed Oil
Did you know that flaxseeds and flaxseed oil have amazing uses right from controlling inflammation to lowering risk of cancer, diabetes, heat diseases as well as preventing health issues at menopause. From endowing special health benefits to men, to
- Health Benefits Of Coconut, Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk And Coconut Water
Coconut is called a wonder food since it is almost a perfect meal. In the Vedas it has been called 'Kalpa Vriksha' meaning the tree which provides all necessities of life. It is used in many rituals and ceremonies apart from its use as food in a vari
- Benefits Of Castor Oil
Castor oil has been traditionally used as a folk medicine to treat a variety of health conditions. To read how you can reap the various benefits of castor oil, read on...
- Honey & Health - Manuka Honey
Honey is a natural food made by the honey bees. Of all the honeys available, manuka honey stands out as the one most beneficial to health. To find out whick manuka honey is the best and why, read on...
- 6 Benefits Of Fish Liver Oil
Cod liver oil, has been traditionally used for its many benefits to health. To know more about the health benefits of cod liver oil, which has been rightly called a superfood, read on...
Cold Tomato Cucumber Pepper Soup Recipe
Cucumber Soup - No Cook Summer Recipe
© 2012 Rajan Singh Jolly