Amazing Benefit of Dates Vinegar
Not many people have heard of dates vinegar let alone the benefit of dates vinegar. So what's the fuss, you ask?
I will get back to that later, but first, let's recap on vinegar in general.
Uses of Vinegar
Vinegar is probably one of the most versatile items that any household should have. You can use it in your food, use it for its medicinal benefits, as a preserving agent, and with its dissolving power, you can even use it as a cleaning agent.
Vinegar has been used in a variety of ways, but the most common use is in our food.
Examples of the most common and popular vinegars are balsamic, apple, malt, white distilled rice, rice wine and specialty vinegar.
Specialty vinegar may be new to certain markets, but has been used for years in its home market. Examples of specialty vinegar are pomegranate & dates vinegar, which are very popular in the Middle East. Other examples are the coconut & cane vinegars, which are common in Indonesia, Philippines and India.
Unlike pomegranate vinegar, dates vinegar is not so popular outside its home market. For that reason, if you search dates vinegar in Amazon.com or in eBay, your search will not return any results.
There are many health benefits of eating dates and there are several articles written on this subject, but not many are written on the health benefits of dates vinegar.
Health Benefits of Dates Vinegar
Dates vinegar has been used for years as both food and medicine in the Middle East and amongst the health benefits of dates vinegar are:
- Weight Loss: Drinking dates vinegar will help suppress your appetite and reduce hunger.
- Prevent cancer: As with eating apricot seeds, regular intake of dates vinegar will help prevent abdominal cancer.
- Weak heart: Dates vinegar drink is an excellent remedy for weak heart.
- Eases child birth: If you drink dates vinegar on a regular basis, it can ease the pain of childbirth. They are known to contain hormones, which strengthen the uterus, help produce milk for nursing mothers and also prevent blood loss after childbirth. It also help built strength during convalescing.
- Menstrual disorder: Help with menstrual disorders
- Strengthen immunity system: The regular cleansing of the system will remove toxins from the body. This will help strengthen the immunity system. It will also help in the gastric inflammation and relief constipation.
- Being high in iron & potassium, it is good for Anemia
- Fatigue: High in energy and is therefore good for fatigue.
- Cough: Help to relief sore throat, persistent cough and removing phlegm.
- Relieves headaches due to heat
- Heals burns & skin inflammations when applied
Buying Dates Vinegar
Dates vinegar is not so popular outside the Middle East market and hence not so easily available in your local supermarket. It is not even available on Amazon.com or eBay.
Your best bet is to find it at the nearest Middle Eastern grocery store near you.
How to Use Dates Vinegar
Dates vinegar has a rich fruity flavor and is dark brown in color . It is not as sweet as a good balsamic. It actually tastes more like a mix of malt vinegar and balsamic. To enjoy the many health benefits of dates vinegar, you can use it as:
- A Drink: Take 1-2 tablespoon of dates vinegar, preferably mix with a glass of water, first thing in the morning and last thing at night. You may add honey to sweeten the taste.
- As Salad Dressing: Use it as you would with balsamic vinegar.
- In your cooking: Replace other vinegar that you would normally use in your cooking, with dates vinegar.
- In your pickle: Likewise, replace your normal vinegar for your pickle, with dates vinegar.
- As a dip: Mix dates vinegar to olive oil for your dip.
Recipe for Dates Vinegar Salad Dressing with Blue Cheese
Yogurt (plain, low fat)
Garlic clove , minced
Creamy Blue Cheese
Ground Black Pepper
Mix sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise, dates vinegar and garlic, and whisk until smooth. Then add the crumbled blue cheese. Season it with the ground black pepper.
Recipe for Dates Vinegar Salad Dressing with Poppy Seed
Whisk together all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
Read My Other Hubs on Healthy Fruits
Check out the following links for their respective benefits:
The health benefits of Dates Vinegar may not be fully documented and the information provided, should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice and treatment. Please consult your health care provider if you have any history of medical problem or before taking any alternative remedy.
© 2011 Mazlan