Health Benefits of Dates and Uses
Dates and Dates Benefits
Dates are fruits grown on the palm trees belonging to the family of Arecaceae, in the genus:Phoenix, and scientifically named as Phoenix dactylifera. They are usually grown in deserts. Date Palm trees are one of the oldest trees cultivated by man. ‘Amir Hajj’, ‘Saidy’, 'Khadrawy' and 'Medjool' are some of the important varieties of dates.
Benefits of Dates
Dates are the storehouses of various nutrients and vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K.. Hence there are many health benefits of dates. They are rich in several vitamins, minerals and fibre. Dates contain potassium, iron, sulfur, manganese, phosphorus, calcium, copper etc. which are required for our daily needs. Since dates are tasty to eat, consumption is not at all a problem.
Health Benefits of Dates
There are various health benefits for including dates in our regular diet.
- Dates are used as a laxative food, to prevent constipation. Dates should be soaked overnight and in the morning they should be eaten to get maximum benefits.
- Since dates are easily digestible they boost energy.
- Because of the mineral contents in the dates, they are a good source for bone development and bone strengthening. Dates are particularly useful for people who are in the aging side.
- Date benefits include curing many kinds of intestinal disorders.
- The high contents of minerals and iron in the Dates make it a perfect dietary food for the people suffering from anemia, and helps to disappear their fatigue and sluggishness.
- The nicotine content in dates makes it an excellent source of for intestinal disorders
- If you are looking to gain weight, Dates are the first one to be considered. If you are looking for keeping your weight as a balanced weight, eating dates with cucumber paste can be a good option. You will be amazed to know that one kilogram of dates contain almost 3000 calories!
- Reduces the levels of LDL cholesterol, and thus maintains a healthy heart. It is best taken after soaking overnight.
- Helpful in reducing night blindness.
- Reduces the risk of abdominal cancer.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Nutritional value of Dates
Date seeds contain higher protein (5.1 g/100 g) and fat (9.0 g/100 g) as compared to the flesh. It is also high in dietary fiber (73.1 g/100 g), phenolics (3942 mg/100 g) and antioxidants (80400 micromol/100 g). In the case of vitamins, Vitamins B-complex and C are the major vitamins in dates.
A study in 2009 in "Nutriion Reviews" reports that a fiber rich diet can help prevent hypertension, obesity, stroke and heart diseases.
It has been reported by The American Dietetic Association that eating plenty of foods rich in antioxidants may help prevent diabetes, cancer, heart disease and neurological problems like Alzheimer's disease.
Where to buy dates online?
Cultivation and Process of Dates for marketing
Watch this beautiful video. See how dates look on the date palm trees in the palm gardens in the desert, how they are plucked, and how they are processed for marketing through this beautiful video. You can also learn what are the various procedures that go through before dates come to us in ready made packets and jars for our use.