Unbelievable Facts About Bananas
The History of Banana
We know the fact that bananas are very nutrional fruits. However, some of us don't know where did the bananas came from. So here is a brief history of the Bananas.
Bananas emerged from Southeast Asia ( The Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia) and Papua New Guinea where the cultivation of this fruit started. Later on, bananas reached Africa and India. Alexander of Macedon saw this kind of fruit when he conquered India. By discovering that it was edible, he brought and introduced bananas to the Western part of the world.
Later on, In the 6th century after the civil war, Portuegues introduced bananas to the United States of America. The earliest bananas were believed to have a larger and harder seeds compared to the bananas these days.
Nutrional Facts and Health Benefits
We can't deny the fact that a banana is one of the most widely consumed fruit in the United States of America because of its nutrients. This fruit contains:
- Potassium is a kind of mineral which helps maintain the proper function of the heart, regulate blood pressure, and improve a person's alertness. In addition, the potassium in a banana is also beneficial for kidneys and livers which is helpful in relieving pain and irritation.
- Vitamin B6 and Iron is rich in protein known as hemoglobin. Hemoglobin helps red blood cells deliver oxygen throughout the body. Therefore, a person who lacks in iron can possibly acquire anemia, such as iron deficiency anemia, chronic anemia, and predialysis anemia. Hence, eating bananas can help a person prevents these type of illnesses. Vtamin B6 alone is good for people who are diabetics because it balances blood sugar level.
- Fiber also can be found in bananas. Eating bananas help food digest easily. In Addion, it can treat heart burn and constipation.
- It also contains amino acids, specifically tryptophan which converts into serotonin (happy mood brain neurotransitter) that helps reduced stress and maintain good sleep pattern.
- Vitamins and Magnesium is present in bananas. This is essential in reducing nicotine inside the body. It can help you to resist smoking.
- Bananas are made up of anti-acid effect which helps to relieve stomach pain caused by ulcer.
- Aside from eating banana, acne and psoriasis can be treated by gently rubbing the skin of banana on the affected area.
Fun Facts About Bananas
- Bananas believed to be the first fruit on earth.
- The word banana came from the Arabic word "banan", which means finger. Because the first breed of bananas were the same size as a finger.
- Musa sapientum is the scientific name of banana, meaning the fruit of a wise men.
- Bananas before had a big and hard seeds.
- Banana is not considered a tree but a big kind of herb that can reach 15 meters.
- The trunk of a banana is made up of an overlapping leaves, not a wood.
- Skins of ripe bananas are edible whether it is raw or cooked. Whereas skin of a green bananas are edible ONLY when it is cooked.
- Banana floats in water.
- People can make a paper and fabric out of banana by using its fiber.
- The weight of a banana is 75% water.
- A banana with black spots is healthier than a banana without black spots.
- Bananas are berries.
- There are more than 500 types of bananas.
- India is the biggest banana producer in the world
- Average size of banana contain about 90-100 calories, small bananas contain 70-90 calories
Uses of Banana Peel
- You can use a banana peel to whiten your teeth simply by rubbing the banana peel to your teeth.
- Headache can be treated by rubbing a banana peel on your forehead.
- You can clean your black leather shoes by rubbing the inside part of banana peel to it.
- Banana peel can be use as a fly-trap. It will attract the fruit fly due to its smell.
- You can use the inside part of the banana peel to stop a scratch cd from skipping. Gently rub the back of the disc in a circular motion. To remove the residue of the peel, use a soft cloth to wipe it off.
- If you have a mosquito bite you can rub the banana peel to treat the itchiness.
- You can use it for plants to remove teh splinter.
- You can use it to remove acne.