- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Health Benefits of Home Remedies. Miracle of Onion Peels. Health Benefits of Onions.
Poor people are inventive.
In the Russian language there is an expression “Голь на выдумки хитра”. The meaning of this saying is "Necessity is the mother of invention", but word to word translation would be “Those who have nothing are ingenious”!
Poor people are very inventive indeed.
Way back in my old country even if people had money, there was not much choice of goods to buy.
The most common and always available food items were bread, eggs, macaroni noodles and seasonal (only seasonal) fruits and vegetables.
No exotic or overseas fruits were known to soviet people, except oranges and mandarins which for some reason were in comparative abundance only at a New Year time.
Moscow knew more variety, because foreign tourists were allowed to visit Moscow, so government let more supplies (food as well as clothes) to be sold in Moscow in order to show off for foreign people.
However, remote regions where foreign tourists were not allowed to visit, had to live with scares choices.
Many people had their own gardens and they were selling the produce in the markets.
In fall we used to buy potatoes, onions, cabbage and carrots in sackfuls and store them in the cold cellars for winter usage. We used to make lots of preserves not because it was our hobby and not just for the fun of doing it.
It was vital for feeding the family. There was no much choice, you just had to lay in supplies to have food in winter.
Not having choices is not too bad.
It depends, what choices, of course. On the one hand if you have a lot of choices, you might make a bad choice.
You can buy a very expensive facial cream and cover your face with harmful chemicals, dyes and other harmful ingredients.
However, when you don’t have a choice of buying cosmetics products, then you come up with a facial mask made from strawberries, cucumbers, etc.
If you cannot buy an expensive hand cream, you can just use old Grandma’s remedy- castor oil and the effect will be much better!
You can spent a lot of money on house cleaning supplies full of harmful chemicals and inhale this stuff while using spray bottles.
Or you can just use a couple of drops of aromatic ammonia spirit to make your house sparkle.
Choices are all yours even when you do not have much choices.
Those who do not have a lot of choices, are very inventive. They are ingenious.
In old times people didn’t waste stuff. No matter what stuff it was, but people were putting a lot into use from what we just toss into garbage nowadays.
Think about onion peels. What do you do with onion peels? Definitely, you throw onion peels away, don’t you?
Well, probably after you read about health benefits that onion peels can give us, you will think before just tossing this brown dry stuff into your garbage can.
First, I will just name what health benefits you can get from using home remedies made from onion peels and then I will analyze, what is so special in onion peels.
Disclaimer- all the recipes of home remedies are taken from folk sources and the results may vary. The author does not guarantee any miracle cure if applied wrong or over applied. But also, it will not harm you, because these are proven Grandma's recipes.
Miracles of onion peels.
- Adding color and nutrition to your soups- usually, for making soups we boil a whole onion as an ingredient to give the soup more flavors. Use onions in peels when you make soups, it will not only give the soup a special color shade, but it will also add heath benefits to your soup.
- Onion peels are used to color Easter eggs in a natural way. Using onion peels (boiling eggs in water with onion peels) not only will give your Easter eggs a beautiful shade, but also it is a healthy way to make your Easter eggs, avoiding artificial colors.
- Home remedy for seborrhea, or rather, against seborrhea - using onion peels brew for washing your hair will keep your hair dandruff free, healthy and thick.
- It is also an effective natural home remedy against psoriasis.
- You can use onion peels water as a natural dye for coloring your hair. It will give your hair healthy gold or reddish shade.
- Home remedy against hypertension- drink a cup of onion peels "tea" every day to lower your blood pressure as a natural remedy, without harmful pills. By the way, you also may use garlic peels for brewing tea, as both onion and garlic peels contain a special substance that I’ll cover later.
- Tea from onion peels may tone your cardiac activity, boost your immune system, and reduce muscle spasms.
- It also acts as anti-inflammatory natural remedy.
- Brew from onion peels also has anti-septic, expectorating, laxative, diuretic, anti-cancerous characteristics.
- Onion peels brew (you don’t have to boil onion peels for this, but just pore boiled water over onion peels to make a brew, just like you make tea) may be used as a natural remedy to clean your body from harmful surplus of sodium and chlorine (this quality is very important for those who suffer from heart diseases).
- Those who suffer from leg muscle spasms at night should drink a cup of onion peels tea before bedtime and they will be guaranteed a nice night sleep.
Using Onion peels tincture
- Home remedy against varicose veins- In a cup pore 100 ml of vodka over 2 Table spoons of crushed dry onion peels, let stand for a week. Strain the tincture. Take 20 drops two-three times a day for 10 days.
- Home remedy against Atherosclerosis – the same onion peels tincture as in the previous case- take 20 drops with 2 Tablespoon of olive oil 3 times a day, 30 minutes before food. Take for 14 days, then make a break for 10 days and repeat the course.
- Home remedy against nail fungus- 8 table spoons of crushed dry onion peels cover with 0,5 liter of vodka. Let stand for 10 minutes. Strain. Wet a piece of cotton into onion peels tincture and apply on nails affected by fungus 2-3 times a day. Another way to cure nail fungus is to soak feet or hands in a hot solution of onion peels and water for 20-30 minutes.
Natural home remedies from onion peels.
- A natural dye for coloring your hair. It will give your hair healthy gold or reddish shade. Boil 2 Tb. spoons of onion peels per cup of water approximately 20 minutes, then let it stand for several hours. Strain the brew and use as a rinse every time you wash your hair.
- A natural home remedy against seborrhea - using onion peels brew (water from boiling a handful of onion peels for 5-10 minutes) for washing your hair will keep your hair dandruff free, healthy and thick.
- A natural home remedy against hypertension- make tea from onion peels (just brew onion pees as you would any tea herbs) and drink a cup of onion peels tea every day to lower your blood pressure as a natural remedy, without harmful pills. By the way, you also may use garlic peels for brewing tea, as both onion and garlic peels contain a special substance that I’ll cover later.
- A natural home remedy against sore throat- gargle with onion peels brew several times a day.
- A natural home remedy against stomatitis, parodontits- three tea spoons of dry onion peels boil in 16 oz of water, then let stand for 7-8 hours, strain the brew and rinse your mouth several times a day.
- Use the same solution to rinse a wound- it will clean the wound and aid in healing.
- A natural home remedy against rhinitis of any nature- put 4 Table spoons of crushed dry onion peels into a pot of boiling water and inhale over the steam for 3-5 minutes.
- A natural home remedy against dry cough- 2 Table spoons of onion peels boil in 2 cups of water on low to medium heat. Then let the brew cool and strain it. Drink ¼ cup of warm brew three times a day, 30 minutes before food.
- A natural home remedy against cystitis- 3 tea spoons of crushed dry onion peels brew in two cups of boiling water, let stand for 30 minutes. In case of acute cystitis drink ¼ of a cup 2 times a day for 5 days. In case of chronic cystitis drink two Table spoons 3-4 times a day for 10 days.
- A natural home remedy against amenorrhea (absence of a menstrual period in a woman of reproductive age)- two or three table spoons of crushed dry onion peels boil in 1 liter of water for 15 minutes on a slow heat. Let it cool naturally, then strain the brew. Drink ½ of a cup twice a day (in the morning and evening) 30-40 minutes before food.
- Home remedy against (sorry) hemorrhoids – 4 Table spoons of onion peels boil on a slow heat in 2 liters of milk for 10 minutes. Cool the mixture until warm and strain. Soak the spot with hemorrhoids (you know what I mean!) in a seated bath during 10 minutes.
So why onion peels claim to be a miracle cure for many cases?
It is scientifically proven that onion peels are rich in Flavonoid glycosides, a substance that is considered very beneficial for health. Onion peels contain a large scope of different macro- and micro-elements.
In other words- almost entire Mendeleev’s periodic table is found in onion peels.
But most important substance that is found in onion peels is quercetin (flavonoid), Quercetin is a naturally-occurring polar auxin transport inhibitor (oh, my, I have no idea what exactly it means, but I know the miracle qualities of onion peels). The same substance (quercetin) is found in apples and other fruits. Our body needs quercetin in big amounts, so the more we can supply our body with it, the better.
If garlic peels are put under microscope, quercetin may be seen as cubed crystals. In onion peels under a microscope quercetin is seen as sharp, needle-like crystals. In this type quercetin is the most effective substance.
Quercetin reduces permeability of capillaries, it increases resilience of capillary walls. It is very important for those who suffer from hypertension, because hypertonic capillaries are very permeable and fragile. The same is noted in cases of rheumatism, atherosclerosis and many of infectious diseases. Some chemical medications (like coagulants, thiocyanates, etc) damage capillaries, so in this case quercetin from natural sources, like fruits and vegetables, can benefit the situation. Quercetin also has spasmolytic qualities.
It is proved that quercetin has antivirus qualities and this fact allows us to use it for preventive actions against many infectious diseases viral in nature. When our blood system gets quercetin in needed amounts, it slows down the speed of freeing histamine (Substance that plays a major role in many allergic reactions. Histamine dilates blood vessels and makes the vessel walls abnormally permeable), leukotriene (One of a group of hormones that cause the symptoms of hay fever, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, dermatitis and asthma) and other biologically active substances, thus trigging anti-inflammatory effect.
Quercetin is more effective than vitamin E in preventing lipoproteins build up in arteries and vessels.
Quercetin is a very effective antioxidant and everyone knows the benefits of antioxidants for out health.
We have two choices- bad and good. What should we choose?
We can spend lots of money buying drugs with no effect, drugs with lots of harmful effects. We can try to solve our problems with “miracle” pills.
We can also guard ourselves from negativism, get rid of bad habits, drink clean water in needed amounts, exercise and train ourselves to be positive.
What is your choice?
- Gogol-Mogol. Grandma's Remedy For a Sore Throat, Cough and Cold.
Gogol-Mogol- is an egg-based mixture, it comes in numerous forms with all kinds of ingredients. Common to most recipes is egg yolks whipped stiff with sugar. other options include egg white, milk, vanilla,...
- High Cholesterol? A Simple Chart for Healthy Foods and Diet May Help.
If you got to this page, I suppose you have this problem- elevated cholesterol. Well, welcome to the club and my other guess would be that you already have read a lot of information about this problem. I...
- Buy Food Dehydrator Online. Dehydrated Food and Nutrition.
Archeological discoveries prove that early man sustained himself on natural dehydrated foods. Later heat from the sun or fire was used by early man to preserve harvested food. Dried foods were found in the...