Health Benefits of Mulberries
Benefits of Mulberry
In China, mulberry trees are used not just to feed silkworms for the silk industries, but also eaten for its extraordinary health benefits. Mulberries are regarded as a health tonic and the Chinese uses the leave for tea and the berries as syrup. Known to protect many known diseases and used as a traditional medicine, mulberry fruits are now becoming very popular outside China. Let’s explore the many health benefits of mulberries.
Health Benefits of Mulberry
Mulberry trees grow not only in China, but in other temperate countries like the United States as well
The mulberry fruits are small, plumb yet juicy that are nice to eat and have many health benefits, which are:
- Strengthens Eyesight: Regular consumption of mulberry will help strengthen your eyesight
- Hair growth and gray hair: Mulberry juice when applied directly on the head is supposed to help blacken your gray hair and promotes healthy growth
- Cancer: Mulberry is rich in resveratol that is believed to help prevent cancer
- Immune System: High in Vitamin C and flavonoids, it is a natural booster for flu and other minor ailments. Mulberry also helps with your gastric problems and with chronic hepatitis.
- Mulberry as a Brain tonic: With its high content of choline, mulberry is a good brain tonic which helps with your memory
- Source of protein: Mulberry is one of the very few fruits with protein, which helps with muscle building.
- Arthritic pain: With its anti inflammatory properties, it helps reliefs arthritic pain
- Diabetes: The flavonoids in mulberry assists in controlling the sharp rise of blood sugar
- Post Pregnancy: Eating mulberry after childbirth, is good to bring back energy and health.
- Cholesterol: Eating mulberry on a regular basis will keep your cholesterol level low. It will also strengthen your liver and kidney.
- Constipation: Mulberry, with its high fiber content, will help treat constipation.
- Hypertension: Help contains hypertension.
- Enhances appetite: Regular consumption of mulberry will improve the digestive and assimilating function and hence will enhance the appetite level.
- Calms the nerves: Nutritional content of the berry will help enhance the blood and indirectly calms the nerves.
Benefits of Mulberries and Its Nutritional Values
Mulberriy is great when eaten for breakfast as it is rich in many health-benefiting plant derived anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals and will start you day right.
It is low in Sodium, Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. Mulberry is a good source of Protein, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C and K. It is also a very good source of Resveratol, Riboflavin, Choline, Potassium, Flavonoids and Iron.
If you do not have time to sit down for breakfast, just carry with you the dried mulberries and have them on the go.
There are several varieties of mulberries available. There the red, dark purple, white and pink mulberry varieties. All the varieties will be sticky moist when ripe. The red and dark purple mulberries tend to taste more like blackberry. The white mulberry has a honey sweetness while the pink variety is sticky sweet.
Mulberry can be eaten fresh, and if you like, with cream and honey. They can be added to your salad and great as jams, jellies and syrups. They don't freeze well so if you have a lot of mulberries, use it immediately. Because of its high water content and thin skins, they tend to get moldy or ferment fast. If you have a lot, it is best to turn them into jams, syrups or bake as cakes.
Dried mulberry is more crunchy and is a good healthy snack. It can also be used as pie fillings and as mulberry muffins. For some variety, you can add it to your cookies, cakes, ice creams and yogurts.
You can drink it as tea from its leaves or syrups. Another way to enjoy the Health Benefits of Mulberry.
Plant a Mulberry Tree
If you are looking for young mulberry seedling for planting, there are several available for sales online. Just Google and you will find several suppliers online, or get it through Amazon.com or eBay.
Making Mulberry Jam
If you have extra mulberry fruits and are not sure what to do with it, try turning it to mulberry jam. Here is the recipe to help you along.
- Mulberry berries 3.3 lbs (1.5 kg)
- Cane Sugar 10.5 oz ( 300gms)
- Pectin 1 bag
- Clean and rinse the berries. Remove all the peduncles.
- Put in a large bowl and cover it with cane sugar and pectin
- Over low heat, stir the mixture until the sugar melts
- Prepare bottles to be used to store the jam, by sterilizing it in hot boiling water
- The dried bottles are then placed in a large pot of water (that will be used as the boiling bath). Pour the jam into these bottles and boil it for 10 minutes
- Then immediately cover the bottles, cool and refrigerate.
My Other Hubs on Healthy Food
Pomegranate has always been the essential ingredients in Middle Eastern as well as Mediterranean foods. The nutritional benefits of taking pomegranate vinegar is now becoming popular outside the Middle Eastern market. Read more here Health Benefits of Pomegranate Vinegar
Besides the benefits of taking pomegranate vinegar, you can also enjoy its goodness by eating pomegranate. It is rich in antioxidants and has many health benefits. Read more here Pomegranate Health Benefits | Its Many Uses
Vinegar is probably one of the most versatile item that any household should have. With the many health benefits of eating dates, the benefits of taking dates vinegar are numerous. Read more here Health Benefits of Dates Vinegar
Not many people are aware of this fruit vinegar, but if you are into active games and sports, use it as your energy drink. Find out what else it can do for you here Health Benefits of Persimmon Vinegar
Apricot Seed or Kernel
Health benefits of eating apricot seeds are many including the claim on prevention of cancer. Read more here Health Benefits of Apricot Seed
Uses of Date Palm
Date Palm tree is like a tree of life. Check here on Uses and Benefits of Date Palms
Sugar Apple Sweetsop
Have you heard of Sugar Apple Sweetsop fruits? Check here for more info on its Health Benefits of Sugar Apple Sweetsop Fruit
Check why drinking mineral water is beneficial to your health and why others are saying otherwise. Read more here Health Benefits of Mineral Water
Disclaimer on Health Benefits of Mulberries
This hub, Health Benefits of Mulberries, is meant to be informative and educational that provides general health information. It is not meant to be a substitute for the personal and professional medical care and diagnosis. If you have or suspect of having any health related problems, you are recommended to seek professional medical advice and treatment.
Cooking with Mulberry : To enjoy the Health Benefits of Mulberry
Raw Food Dried Mulberries Recipe, an even better way to enjoy the Health Benefits of Mulberry
© 2011 Mazlan