- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Health-Conscious Series #13 - Why we must eat sardines
During weekends, we used to open a can of sardines here at the boarding house in order to pay homage to the most underrated item in the kitchen.
I don't have much belief in eating canned fish or sardines in oil or tomato sauce, because my private part (don't laugh) have an itching after I consumed it.
During hard times, when I was still in elementary until now, it became an unrecognized 'comfort food' for me, even the odds of rashes or itching on that part of my body will be apparent afterwards.
Even on board ship, it's really different among Filipinos and Europeans when it comes to the treatment about sardines.
I usually prepare it almost everyday as side-dish on small plates, just to balance the meals, since it is rich in Omega3 that is good for the heart.
Commercials on sardines production is so appealing, that I am tempted to include it in my dietary needs.
It's been proven that it is more healthier to eat sardines than fresh fishes.
This hub is about the authentic reasons why we should eat sardines.
Evidences why sardines is one of the most nutritious food in the whole world
It's a poor man's food no more.
Berating its importance in our diet don't have much room on this hub.
Please take note of the following facts:
- Sardines contain Omega 3 fatty acids that heighten good cholesterol and protect our hearts and its blood vessels. It prevents the occurrence of heart attack and stroke in our bodies.
- It contains a high level of Coenzyme Q10 that is an antioxidant that boosts energy in our body.
- The Calcium content of sardines makes our bones stronger. If one accompany it with exercise, eating sardines will prevent osteoporosis.
- Sardines have Vitamin D that is important in absorbing Calcium in our body.
- It has Vitamin B12 that is needed by our nerves, brain and spinal cord. Vitamin B12 helps to our body to have strong immune system and also helps in blood production.
- Sardines are one of the few dishes or food that contain phosphorus that is needed by our bones and teeth.
- Eating sardines doesn't fatten people who are into slimming spree or in a diet. It is rich in protein and Omega 3 that makes us more strength.
- It is low in bad mercury.Small fishes like sardines, anchovies, galunggong (grouper), catfish (hito) or milkfish (bangus) are low in mercury-content. We must limit eating lapu-lapu, sea bass, tuna sashimi and other big fishes that contain more mercury.
Tawilis - the Philippines version of sardines
Although the term sardines is already popular in Europe way back the 15th century, the Philippines has its own local version of it.
Here comes tawilis!!!
It is the term for the freshwater sardines (Sardinella tawilis) or freshwater tawilis that is exclusivley found in the Philippines, especially in Taal Lake, province of Batangas.
It is very unique since it is the only member of the Clupeidae family, (or herring fish)that belongs to freshwater and it's endemic in my country.
Tawilis are small fish reaching up to 15 cm and weighing less than 30 g. It is believed that this specie evolved because it is already trapped due to the eruption of Taal volcano centuries ago.
More on Health-Conscious Series
- Health-Conscious Series #12 - The Benefits of Sambon...
Sambong tea is now commercially available at the nearest drug store if you're interested aside from its capsule version. Other benefits are enumerated here in this hub.
- Health-Conscious Series # 11 - How to get rid of Mol...
Molluscum contagiosum, those painless warts on your face...it affects your personality if it is already visible. Immediately seek for a medication in order to get rid of it.
- Health-Conscious Series # 10 - How to Detox and Body...
How to live longer? Free your body from toxins through detox and body cleanse. Detoxification and Body Cleansing will be simplified as you follow the process on this hub. It's cheap to be healthy. I'll prove to you that it's true!