Cherries Natural Health Boost
Is Health In A Bowl Of Cherries?
Do you have aches and pains, but don’t want to take prescription medications for relief, cherries may be what you need. There are definitely a variety of methods you can use to get rid of your aches and pains, but we’ll go the au natural route with cherries. Outside of being pleasant to look at and tasting great, did you know that cherries are a natural pain remedy? Have you ever heard the saying “the darker the berry, the sweeter the juice”? That saying applies to cherries! The darker the cherry is, the higher it is in antioxidants.
Cherries stem from the botanical family of the Rosaceae, and are of the genus Prunus. It is known as a drupe, which just means it’s a fruit with a stone, much like a peach, or apricot. Though low in caloric content, cherries offer a plenitude of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
There’s much more to those little red fruits than you might think. Not only do cherries have the ability to alleviate pain, they also aid in speeding muscle recovery. This makes cherries a go to choice for exhausted overworked athletes, moms, and the like. There are many naturally arising health benefits to cherries that we’ll touch briefly in this article.
5 Ways Cherries Help to Maintain Your Health
- Cherries are a natural sleep aid, that’s right if you’re looking for a sound night of sleep, try grubbing on some cherries before you hit the hay. Not any old cherry will do the trick though, when consuming cherries for aid in sleep; you must be sure to get the proper cherry for the task. Cherries that aid in sleep are of the tart variety, specifically cherries known as Montmorency. Montmorency cherries are tart cherries that contain high levels of melatonin which aids in sleep. Melatonin finds its way across the blood-brain barrier simply, in turn producing soothing effects of the brains’ neurons. Our bodies produce the hormone melatonin naturally in the pineal gland. The University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, TX discovered, and backs this claim.
- Cherries offer joint pain relief. This is accomplished because cherries possess high levels of anthocyanin’s, as well as antioxidants (natural pain relieving nutrients). These natural pain relieving nutrients work to relieve joint pain by reducing inflammation, and stiffness of the joints. Eating cherries aids in relieving chronic episodes such as fibromyalgia, gout, arthritis, and even sports injuries.
- Cherries, along with many other berries, are a rich source of antioxidants. They help prevent or repair the damage that is done to the body’s cells by free radicals. This means that antioxidants replace free radicals in your body before they can cause any damage.
- Some researchers believe that cherries have the potential to be potent cancer fighters. Cherries have been touted to help prevent/repair the damaging effects that occur by free radicals. The antioxidants in cherries work to replace free radicals in your body before causing cellular damage. Queritrin is a flavonoid. Flavonoid levels are significant in cherries, researchers claim Queritrin to be one of the most potent anticancer agents. As you consume cherries; Queritrin is released and wards off all the body’s cancerous cells. Not only do cherries contain Queritrin, but they also contain the much revered ellagic acid. Ellagic acid occurs naturally in certain plants, and is known to fight carcinogens and mutagens. Some researchers believe that ellagic acid may be key in the fight against cancers.
- Fight your migraines with cherries! Since cherries reduce bodily inflammation, the anthocyanin and bioflanoids in cherries also aid in eliminating migraine headaches. Anthocyanin and bioflanoids have similar effects to both ibuprofen and aspirin.
As you can see there are many health benefits to consuming cherries. Not only can you treat arthritis pain with cherries, you can also treat your migraines. This can all be accomplished naturally by consuming cherries. Now that you have decided to keep more cherries on hand for your health, let’s discuss the best way to consume them for maximum healing efficiency.
The University of Michigan Health System supports the fact that cherries healing properties are achieved by eating many forms of cherries. This includes eating cherries in raw form, cooked, canned, drinking cherry juice, cherries in powdered form, concentrate and yes, even in supplement form. UMHS claims that “people consuming about 1/2 pound of cherries daily over a period of four weeks noticed significant joint pain relief.” As you have found in this article your health is a bowl of cherries, so what are you waiting for?
Cherries...oh the choices!
If you are headed out the door to grab some cherries today, there are a few things to be aware of in your cherry selection. You can try tasting them if your market allows this, taste is always an important factor! One thing to look for is, dark fruit, as we said the darker the berry the sweeter the juice! Take note of the stems if they are still attached, bright green stems indicate freshness. Make sure you select firm fruit only; you don’t want any wrinkling on your cherries.
Once you’ve found your perfect cherries be sure to store them properly. They tend to go bad really fast if not stored in the proper manner. You can maintain the cherries’ freshness by placing them in a clean plastic bag in the refrigerator for 5-7 days max. Be sure to wash and dry them first. If you plan on freezing your cherries for later use, you can freeze them whole, or pit them first. If you decide to freeze them whole, leave the stems on them. Freeze them on a baking sheet, in a single layer, then place them in your chosen freezer bag or container. Enjoy! Read about about similar topics here.
Others that love Traverse Farms products
Natural and safe joint pain relief
Do you want to start getting joint pain relief the natural way? Find out what Dr. Oz has to say about cherries and your health at Traverse Bay Farms and get started with your natural joint pain relief now.