Healthy Weight Control
Health by Weight Control
Weight Loss is a losing proposition for many Americans. Rising obesity rates create dangerous health conditions and have people searching for diets and diet products that not only work but offer lasting results. The ugly truth is, the majority of aging baby boomers are losing the battle of the bulge. Why is that? The components of the standard American diet hold the answers to that burning question. The standard American diet (notice the acronym is SAD) contains just the right mix of ingredients for disease promotion: animal fats, saturated fats, trans fats, hydrogenated fats, high fructose corn syrup, chemical preservatives, food colorings and sodium nitrate. This is by no means the entire grocery list of the hundreds of unhealthy ingredients Americans consume on a daily basis. These are ingredients that build up to toxic levels over time as our bodies store them.
The best recipe for health and weight loss includes a do-able exercise plan paired with food high in proteins, complex carbs and fiber. America needs a carefully researched and permanent eating plan and to get serious about achieving lasting health and weight loss. With approximately two thirds of Americans currently overweight, and over 30% at the obese level, it is also our high tech lifestyles that are partially to blame. We have become less active as we have become more tech savvy because so many of our work and leisure activities are mind intensive instead of physically intensive. How can this alarming and dangerous trend be reversed?
Experimenting with different diets can be a dangerous pastime as people, in their attempts to reach their ideal weight goals, are lured into purchasing products that are unproven, untested or unreliable. Doctors warn of the lurking health risks for the obese patient- a long list of scary ones: diabetes, bilary calculosis, infertility, atherosclerosis, cancer, hypertension not to mention depression and anxiety as overweight people face varying levels of discrimination and ridicule.
Weight loss tips that work can be easily incorporated into your daily routine. There are so many diets advertised that it gets a bit confusing, especially when reviewing the (sometimes outrageous) claims they make. The best diet plans are the ones that recommend increasing your consumption of natural, whole foods over the long haul coupled with achievable levels of exercise. Weight loss that lasts is not a quick fix. It takes awareness, planning, willpower, and determination to conquer that bathroom scale. Choosing the right plan should be based on your personal tastes and preferences, mainly because you are a unique individual with individual needs and tastes, and your diet should be individualized as well.
If you have looked at some different weight loss plans and just can’t see yourself having the self-discipline to “stick to it”, keep looking at different plans to find the best fit for you. Take a look at your daily food choices and at your lifestyle. How much time do you have to make the proper meals that maximize nutrition and minimize the bad stuff? Maybe you just need to take a look at your daily food choices and consider a few simple modifications.
1. Toss your white sugar. Use Stevia in your morning coffee or tea. Stevia is a natural, plant-based sweetener that offers zero calories and sweetens without chemicals. If you are hooked on sugar and you find you backslide at first, don't beat yourself up over it. If your weakness is sweet snacks, carry an apple with you to eat when that sugar craving hits. The complex carbs and natural sugars will help reduce your hunger pangs and strengthen your resolve.
2. Avoid fast food restaurants. Fast food is high in calories, fat, and sodium but low in nutrition. Bring a salad to work for lunch or pack a tuna, chicken or turkey sandwich, a piece of fruit and some sweet baby carrots or celery sticks. I like broccoli florets dipped in ranch.
3. Not a gym person? Take 10 minutes of your lunch break and walk. Make walks a part of your evening routine with your family or your dog. Or your family AND your dog.
4. Walk when you shop. Park further out in the parking lot and make the walk into the store more like a hike.
5. Drink more water. Staying hydrated will actually help decrease urges to snack, and water helps flush out excess fat. Don't like water? Use a flavoring mix like Crystal Light to add flavor. Fruit Punch is my favorite.
6. Do your workouts in the evenings. Then when you go to bed, your metabolism is higher while you sleep, helping you lose weight faster.
7. Cursed with a sweet tooth? Carry a baggie full of cherries, grapes or fresh pineapple with you and have it handy when that sugar craving hits. Your blood sugar won't take such a hard hit with these natural sugars.
8. Avoid elevators and escalators. Use the stairs whenever possible.
9. The 4 hour rule: supper should be the lightest meal of the day, eaten at least 4 hours before bedtime so you never go to bed on a full stomach.
10. Eat a rainbow. Vegetables and fruit are important contributors of low fat content, high nutritional value and fiber- giving you increased energy and metabolism-boosting weight loss power.
These 10 things will make a difference to your efforts at dropping those unwanted pounds. Just a 10% drop in weight decreases your risk for obesity-related disease. If you feel you need a more structured diet plan, it might help to talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends. The main thing to realize is that no matter what diet plan you decide on, make sure it provides a solid nutritional base and an achievable exercise plan. That way you will be more likely to stick with it and make it work for you.
To be quite honest, there are plenty of quality diet and fitness products out there. The Amazon links below are targeted toward this specific problem, but in the spirit of honesty if you click and buy through my link I will make a small commission. I like to be up front about the commercial aspect of my Hubs, but I only promote quality sites offering great products. I hope they make a difference in your quality of life.
How Much Should I Weigh?
This is a question people ask over and over, and in order to be able to set a goal it's important to know what to shoot for. The BMI widget below will tell you what your optimal weight target should be based on your height and sex. If you're more than 50 pounds overweight, set a smaller weight loss goal goal for each week until you reach your target weight. A pound or two every week looks do-able, whereas 50 pounds in a week may not. Looking at a large weight loss number puts success farther down the road, and you could stall your progress by overwhelming your psyche. There is an easy formula used by doctors, dieticians and fitness professionals to determine your optimal weight for health and fitness.
In order to determine your healthiest body weight, you should know your BMI, or Body Mass Index. This is a number based on your height, bone structure and age that is scientifically proven to be your healthiest target weight. A healthy Body Mass Index for adults is anywhere within the range 18.5 to 26.5. Use this handy calculator to find out where you fall:
BMI For Adults.
Flash Player 9 is required.