- Diet & Weight Loss
Healthy Living: Top Tips For Losing Weight
'Belly' from pixabay
Tips for weight loss and weight management
Eat less: Move more. Sounds easy until you try it. If you are reading this the chances are you have been struggling to keep a healthy weight. The reality is you probably need to lose weight before you can concentrate on keeping it off. Here I share my top 15 tips for healthy weight loss and for then keeping the weight off.
Sorry there are no shortcuts. It is never going to be easy but I am here to tell you it is possible. What you don't need is another fad diet, what you do need is advice on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle and really what you have here is guidelines on how you can change your lifestyle to ensure a healthy weight.
Weight loss using these tips will not be fast but it will be steady until you reach your target weight. After that, no you can't stop. It is about being sensible for the rest of your life. It doesn't mean depriving yourself of your favourite foods, it means changing how you view them and how you can slip them into your diet now and again without ruining your health.
Love healthy foods
What do you think of diets?
Do you think diets work?
Tips to Help Lose Weight
- Eat small meals often - the best way to avoid snacking is to ensure your blood sugar levels remain stable. You can do this by eating smaller meals more often and including those foods that release their energy slowly.
- Get some exercise. This doesn't have to be excessive. A 20 minute walk or using the stairs instead of the elevator will all count.
- Pay attention to the size of your portions. The biggest problem in the West is overeating. The simplest way to lost weight it to reduce the size of your portions. Instead of using a dinner plate, try using a side plate - you will be amazed what a difference this makes.
- Only shop AFTER you have eaten. It's a big mistake to go grocery shopping hunger. That only leads to you piling more food than you need into your trolley.
- Plan your menu and take a list to the shop with you. This will eliminate impulse buys. Be a conscious shopper!
- Eat more fruit and vegetables. It can't be said often enough. You can eat three pieces of fruit per day without overdoing the fruitose to glucose ratio and as many vegetables as you can eat. Vegetables are especially full of nutrients for very little fat. Be aware of the exceptions.
- Eliminate all sugar from your diet. Sugar is the one thing you NEVER have to add to your diet. Everything you eat is converted into a form of glucose in the body and if you put pure sugar in, the body has to dispose of it somehow.
- Eliminate processed foods from your diet. All those tinned and pre-cooked meals contains excesses of sugar and salt to say nothing of the chemicals that are added for preservation, colouring and flavouring. For example, tinned peas are dyed to make them look green after processing. Personally I'd rather have a frozen green pea that doesn't need a chemical to keep it green.
- Cut down on salt. As well a being a danger for high blood pressure and so on, when you are dieting, salt retains water = more weight.
- Drink a lot of water. In the first days most of what you lose will likely be fluid. Pure water helps to flush through your system, keeps you hydrated and helps the body to process the foods you give it more efficiently.
- Steam rather than boil or fry vegetables. This ensures you keep the maximum amount of nutritional value in what you are eating. One of the best things I ever bought was a steamer basket that fits in an ordinary pan/pot. Makes life simple and easy, no cleaning of fiddly parts or taking up space with a heavy set of pans.
- Cut out red meat completely, it is high in fat.
- Cut out alcohol and soft drinks - these are all high in calories and are for the most part what we call empty calories - that is they serve no useful purpose. Be aware that low calorie drinks contain artificial sweeteners that have about 92 side effects! Avoid them at all costs.
- Ensure you get enough protein in your diet. Protein is necessary for breaking down fat deposits. An adult woman needs about 58 grams and an adult man about 70 grams of protein per day.
- Only eat when you are hungry and stop when you feel full. You need to teach yourself to recognise when you are full and to do that you need to pay complete attention to eating - sit up at a table, don't watch TV, don't read. Slow down your eating and savour every bite.
Healthy Food: Oranges
Make Steaming Easy with a Fan Steam insert
10 Minute Standing Exercises for a Flat Belly
Where to find more advice on healthy living
- 5 Reasons to Eat Healthier That Have Nothing to Do With Your Weight - ABC News
While many clients come to me to slim down, in the long run, nearly all find themselves feeling far more motivated by the numerous benefits of healthy eating outside of shedding pounds and inches.
- Cheap Food: Healthy Food
A new blog with lots of ideas on how to eat cheap healthy food for vegetarians. Specializes in recipes for one person. Most of these recipes are also low calorie, low fat and high in nutrients.
Realistically you cannot lose weight without increasing how much you move. Personally I am not a fan of strenuous exercise, it just makes me feel ill and I won't keep it up. Instead I prefer simply walking and swimming. I do increase the time I spend doing each until I am exercising for around 30 minutes five days a week. I take my camera with me on walks so it is no hardship.
I do like to do some toning exercises though. I prefer yoga but you can also find some good videos on youtube that are very helpful. I tend to go for the ones for the over 50s and I always adapt them to my own level of fitness. In the video I have shared with you here for example I don't do the full 10 minutes yet - I only do a few repetition and maybe I will work up to that 10 minutes but I am not going to beat myself up if I don't ever make that.
Remember not to push yourself further than your health permits. Be especially careful of exercises that use your lower back muscles. Pay attention to warnings and move more slowly than is recommended in most videos so you can tell when your body has stretched enough. Jerking movements often lead to injury. Don't be afraid to adapt exercises to suit you. For example in the video here I have adapted the second exercise. I found balancing a problem so I rest my knee at waist height against my kitchen cabinets. It may not give the exact benefit they talk about but it is enough for me to be moving those oblique abdominal muscles.
Top tips to healthy living
Female losing weight
Successful weight loss
Successful weight loss depends on your own mind set. Most of us have well established bad habits when it comes to food and it takes determination to change that. I hope some of these tips help you change those bad habits into new healthy ones. Give yourself at least six weeks and you will be amazed at how different you feel.
Stick with it - it does work and it does become easier.
I have lost 1 stone and 4 inches each from chest, waist and hips in six weeks. I've started a blog where you can follow my progress and even join in if you are of a mind to. :)
© 2014 Ann