Herbal Medicine: Sambong
Herbal Medicine: Sambong (Blumea balsamifera L.)
Sambong (scientific name: Blumea balsamifera) is an amazing medicinal plant. It is a antiurolithiasis and work as a diuretic. it is used to aid the treatment of kidney disorders. The Sambong leaves can also be used to treat colds and mild hypertension. Since it is a diuretic, it helps dispose of excess water and sodium (salt) in the body. Sambong is one herbal medicine (of ten) approved by the Philippine Department of Health (DOH) in treating particular disorders.
Powdered Sambong leaves are available in 250 mg tablets at the DOH's Philippine Institute of Traditional and Alternative Health Care (PITAHC) Telephone # (632) 727-6199.
• Good as a diuretic agent
• Effective in the dissolving kidney stones
• Aids in treating hypertension & rheumatism
• Treatment of colds & fever
• Anti-diarrheic & Anti-gastralgic properties
• Helps remove worms, boils
• Treats dysentery, sore throat
• Boil the leaves as like tea and drink 3 or more times a day.
• The leaves can also be crushed or pounded and mixed with coconut oil.