Herbal remedies for diabetics including Kino, Malabar and Cinnamon
The Indian Kino Tree
Regenerating Pancreatic Beta Cells?
While researching this topic, I came across a plant unknown to me. Diabetics depend on modern science to control their disease, but it seems that traditional medicine may be a step ahead.
The Indian Kino tree or Malabar Kino is the source of an effective treatment for diabetics. Herbal extracts from it have a long history of use in India as a treatment for diabetes. The flavonoid, epicatechin, extracted from the bark of this tree has been shown to prevent pancreatic beta cell damage in rats. No other herbal concoction has been shown to prevent beta cell damage and even regenerate damaged beta cells in diabetics. The heart wood is prepared as an astringent to treat diabetes.
Current scientific research is being done to further test this herbal remedy for diabetics. I am currently looking for a source of this promising treatment. If you have information, please leave a comment below.
Many plants and herbs are good for diabetics!Click thumbnail to view full-size
Natural ways to lower your blood sugar and treat diabetes
There are so many herbal and natural supplements for diabetics that it is hard to decide which ones are the best and therefore worthy of your hard earned dollar. I've put together a list of the top diabetic herbal remedies here. These supplements are known to aid diabetes and have few if any side effects.
If you decide to take herbal remedies for diabetes and you are already taking prescribed medication, I would advise strict caution. Some of these natural aids are quite potent for lowering blood sugar and may cause an episode of hypoglycemia which is a rotten feeling to say the least.
Always check with your doctor before trying new medications and treatments for diabetes. This disease can be quite devastating on your body. Keep a close eye on your blood sugar with your glucometer and experiment with these and other aids to control diabetes.
- Evening Primrose Oil - contains a high concentration of a good for you fatty acid called GLA, aids in weight loss
- Bitter Melon - can lower blood sugar dramatically
- Cinnamon - lowers blood sugar levels by enhancing insulin effectiveness
- Asian Ginseng - enhances the release of insulin
- Gymnema - improves insulin effectiveness, lowers carb cravings
- Onion and garlic - both will lower blood sugar levels
- Bilberry - may lower the risk of cataracts and retinopathy
- Fenugreek Seeds - fiber that may lower blood sugar levels
- Psyllium - good fiber source that may lower blood sugar levels
- Cayenne pepper - helps with diabetic neuropathy
- Reishi mushrooms - a powerful anti-oxidant for overall health
- Ginko Biloba - may prevent early stage diabetic neuropathy
- Stevia - used as a sugar substitute to help diabetics avoid carb cravings
Diabetes dietary survey
Do you take dietary supplements to control diabetes?
Herbal Simples is one of the best and most comprehensive herbal healing reference books ever written. Fernie was a late 19th century medical doctor who possessed endless curiosity, a sharp eye, and an excellent ability to summarize what he had discovered. Not only was he familiar with the great British herbals but he had a healthy respect for folk healing traditions.
© 2010 Austinstar