- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Home Remedies For Ear Infection | Top 11 Home Remedies
I remember my friend calling me up at the middle of night because of earache and asking for remedy. I asked him to visit the doctor, but he insisted on giving him some natural remedial tip and this is the idea behind writing this hub.
Our ear is a complex system divided majorly into three parts, i.e., outer, middle and inner ear. Inflammation of any of these parts can happen due to infection, wax accumulation, or blockage of fluid through the eustachian tube and accumulation of fluid in the middle ear. We can easily take care of our ear infection through home remedies for earache which I have elaborated below.
Symptoms Of Ear Infection
Ringing of the ear, ear pain, fever, jaw pain, runny nose, excessive wax buildup, etc.
Why Our Ear Aches?
Our ear aches due to buildup of fluid in the middle ear which is generally drained through the eustachian tube into the back of the throat. Due to swelling or allergies this tube is constricted or blocked and so fluid build up in the middle ear exerts pressure on our ear drum or tympanic membrane causing earache. We can measure this pressure at home through tympanogram at home which are available over the internet to make sure if the pain is due to fluid buildup. If left untreated, it can lead to ear infection or otitis media amongst several other complications.
Check Your Ear Sitting At Home
Home Remedies For Ear Infection
1). Garlic and salt both have known antibacterial properties and so widely used in our food. Take a clean small bowl. Put one teaspoon of garlic paste in it. Now add a pinch of salt in it and mix them well. Place this mixture in a clean piece of muslin cloth, fold it and place it over the infected ear for half an hour. Repeat it every 12 hours till your pain subsides.
2) Pluck fresh basil leaves and make a paste. If fresh leaves are not available, you can use the dry ones also (dip the dry ones in water for an hour and then make a paste). Strain this paste and extract the liquid in a small clean container. Now rub this liquid in and around the ear all the way down to the chin. Do not put it into your ear canal. Alternatively, you can use basil oil also.
3) If infection is due to blocked eustachian tubes or excessive buildup of wax, take fish oil capsules daily. These are amazing in treating blocked eustachian tube and wax buildup. For vegetarian, take flaxseed oil.
4) Ear oil. The market is flooded with so many herbal ear oils. Purchase from a trusted brand herbal ear oil and pour them in your ear as described in the instruction sheet.
5) Mustard or Olive Oil: In India, we extensively use mustard oil as olive oil is used in the western world. Both can be used in case of ear infection due to eustachian tube blockage. Simply pour a few drops of lukewarm oil (mustard or olive) into your infected ear. This will soften the wax which you can remove yourself with ear buds and it will stop the breeding of bacteria helping in curing the infection.
6) Apply heat — For quick relief from pain, take a warm bag. Switch it on and heat it up and then apply over the infected ear for only 5 minutes and repeat it after an hour. This will provide instant relief to the affected ear. If you do not have an electric warm bag, you can use warm water bottle or simply a pad of cloth by warming it up over any source.
7) Tea Tree Oil —When it comes to ear infection, tea tree oil as a herbal remedy always comes to my mind, as I have one of my relatives living in a tea estate and always praising this natural remedy with proven track record. It contains antibacterial properties which checks the growth of bacteria inside the ear. My relative told me the secret lies in mixing two drops of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of olive oil, half a teaspoon of colloidal silver, and another half spoon of ACV or apple cider vinegar. Mix all the ingredients well and warm it only to lukewarm. Now, sleep on the unaffected side and with the use of a dropper pour inside the affected ear with this lukewarm mixture and fill it up. Now, keep lying in this position for 5 minutes and then turn to the other side, i.e., lying over the affected ear over a few tissue papers to drain the excess of this oil mixture. Repeat this natural remedy three times a day for a few days.
8) Garlic — Garlic is another herb which is widely used in India because of its antimicrobial and also pain relieving property. It is used in two ways. Firstly, we eat a few cloves daily with our meals or empty stomach simply gulp in down with water. Secondly, we extract the juice out of a few cloves and pour a few drops in the infected ear a few times a day.
9) Mango Leaf Extract — Pluck a few mango leaf and extract its juice. Now, pour a few drops of it inside the affected ear a few times a day. With the very first application, you will realize the soothing affects of it.
10) Onion — One of the basic ingredients of cooking is onion which is also one of the very important natural herb and that is the reason we have inculcated it in our meal. Take a small finely chopped onion and microwave it for 2 minutes. Now, press the pieces to extract the juice and pour a few drops of this juice inside the affected ear and wait for 10 minutes. After drain the liquid if any remaining. Alternatively, instead of microwaving, you can bake a small piece of onion and then extract the juice also.
11) Apple Cider Vinegar — This is one of the wonder herbal remedy which I think has its applications on various ailments of our body including ear infection. But always dilute it with water or alcohol and never directly use it. Take one teaspoon of ACV and one teaspoon of water or alcohol. Mix it well and dip a piece of cotton in it and then place that cotton inside you ear. Now, sleep on the opposite side for 10 minutes. After an hour, simply take out the cotton ball and throw it. Repeat this process twice a day. Also, dilute the ACV with water and gargle with it. This will also help relive in ear infection, as the eustachian tube of our ear actually opens up at the back of our throat.
I will welcome if you can add any more remedy to my article Home Remedies For Ear Infection | Top 11 Home Remedies.