Home Remedies for Gastritis
Stomach ache is quite discomforting things and there are several reasons to it. One of the most common reasons for such discomfort is often due to a gastric attack. Here’s all you need to know about gastritis and home remedies that help in relieving the pain.
What is Gastritis?
Gastritis can be defined as inflammation, irritation or erosion of the stomach lining (gastric mucosa). It can be classified as acute or chronic on the basis of the extent of affected gastric mucosa. Acute gastritis happens suddenly and can last up to 3 days. In case of chronic gastritis, the pain and discomfort can last from several days to several weeks. The severity of gastritis may vary from individual to individual and can worsen without proper precaution and medical attention.
What are the signs and symptoms of gastritis?
Symptoms of gastritis may differ from person to person and some people may have no symptoms at all but the common symptoms include nausea, vomiting, a feeling of heaviness in the abdomen after eating food, a burning sensation in the stomach between meals or at night, indigestion, heartburn, pain in abdomen, loss of appetite and bloating.
What causes gastritis?
Four primary causes are attributed to occurrence of gastritis. These are:
- The stomach mucosa gets infected by the Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B12.
- Intake of too many pain relievers/ anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Acidic & spicy foods and drinks.
People consuming too much alcohol, elderly people and people suffering from parasitic (viral or fungal) infections are also prone to gastritis. Stress is also a contributing factor.
What home remedies help reduce symptoms of gastritis?
Mild cases of gastritis can be cured by simple home remedies along with modifications in lifestyle and diet. However, in case of chronic gastritis, it is advisable to consult the doctor and take proper medication as it may lead to ulcer and further complications.
Here are a few home remedies for gastritis which can help in preventing and controlling the problem:
- Mix a teaspoon of carom seeds (ajwain) and dried ginger with a little bit of black salt. Take 1 teaspoon of this mixture with a glass of warm water thrice a day. Carom seeds are natural antacid and provide relief from acidity and indigestion.
- Drinking chamomile tea is beneficial for the digestive system as it soothes the intestinal walls and reduces stomach inflammations.
- Chew fresh peppermint leaves. You can also add them in soups, salads, buttermilk or curd. Peppermint has soothing properties which prevent indigestion and heartburn.
- Eating a few strawberries daily can help in preventing gastritis. Strawberries have antioxidant properties which help in healing the stomach lining.
- Drinking coconut water soothes the digestive system and aids in removing toxic radicals from the body.
- Chewing fennel seeds (saunf) aids in digestion, release of gas and secretion of bile juices.
- Papaya is rich in digestive enzymes. Eating raw papaya is good for preventing inflammation of stomach lining.
- Pineapple is an alkaline fruit. Including pineapple in the diet helps in combating gastritis. Remember to eat ripe pineapple only or else the problem may sometimes be aggravated.
- Add a teaspoon of freshly chopped ginger root to a cup of boiling water. Cover and leave for ten minutes. Strain, add honey and have this tea. Drinking this tea twice a day for about a week is very beneficial as ginger can reduce and treat inflammation of stomach lining.
- Eat 2 to 3 cups of plain probiotic yogurt daily until you get relief. Probiotics in yogurt protect stomach lining from bacteria and also boost the immunity system.
- Blend fresh aloe vera gel with water and drink 1-2 glasses of this every day. Aloe vera is very soothing and reduces the inflammation of the stomach lining.
- Drink fresh cabbage juice 3-4 times a day. Cabbage contains vitamin U that can heal the stomach lining and get rid of gastritis within a few days.
- Mix two tablespoons of honey in warm water and drink this on empty stomach every morning. Honey is bactericidal in nature. Also its anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants can help with the healing process of the stomach lining.
- Two cups of rosemary tea per day are helpful for gastritis. Rosemary has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which prevent stomach ulcers.
Above home remedies have no side effects and can also be tried along with regular treatment. However one should aim at improving their dietary habits which can really help in preventing gastritis.
Gastritis - Natural Ayurvedic Home Remedies
This content is for informational purposes only and does not substitute for formal and individualized diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed medical professional. Do not stop or alter your current course of treatment. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2019 Shaloo Walia