Home Remedies for Gingivitis
Gingivitis is a periodontal disease which is an inflammation of the gums. It affects and destroys tissues supporting the teeth including the periodontal ligaments, the alveolar bone and the gums. It starts by plaque deposits on the teeth and when not removed hardens to form tartar, also known as calculus that settles in the base of the tooth. The accumulated deposits emit toxic substances that in turn attack the gums causing inflammation. This infection if not treated in time, may lead to serious teeth problems, and may even lead to bone destruction or worse still, loss of teeth. It is therefore highly advisable to treat them even if it is by means of home remedies for gingivitis.
It is quite important to understand the conditions that characterize it. The symptoms include gums that are red, swollen, tender, painful and bleed during brushing. It also causes bad breath in the mouth. The stippling that is usually in the lining of gum tissue will disappear after sometime in some individuals.
- One of the most highly recommended home remedies for gingivitis is to simply brush twice a day regularly using dental medicine, herbal mouthwash and herbal toothpaste. Toothpastes that are made of mint, neem, babool and holy basil are the best for this treatment because they prevent the spread of the infection as well as reduce the inflammation.
- Taking Co q 10 is a very effective treatment for this disease. It should be taken for six months for full benefits. It can be taken orally or applied to the gums.
- Grape Seed Extract is another remedy for gingivitis. It can be used as a rinse for mouth or taken orally. It is an anti-infective, anti-microbial and anti-fungal. Add one to two drops to two ounces of water and use as a mouth wash twice a day.
- Applying Clove oil on the gums is very useful to cure gingivitis or alternatively it can be done by chewing a piece of clove.
- Another home remedy for gingivitis is by gargling lukewarm salt water. Small quantity of salt is added to the water. This should be done at least twice a day. The concoction can be improved by adding triphala powder.
- Aloe Vera too comes in handy in treating this ailment. The aloe vera pulp is rubbed in the mouth after which a glass of warm water is gargled. The process should be repeated for some time.
- A combination of herbal powders from white oak bark, myrrh, peppermint leaves and cloves when grinded and mixed in a good proportion can be rubbed in the area of the mouth that is affected by the disease.
- With the mixture of baking soda and water, brush the affected area. This would both neutralize the acidity of the bacteria.
- Another way is to carefully gargle a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water. The mixture should not be consumed.
- Consumption of foods that are rich in fiber, vitamin C and low fat saturation as well as fresh fruits and vegetables also assist preventing and treating this ailment.
- Making use of mouth wash rich in sage oil, chamomile tincture, methanol and peppermint oil. Toothpaste should also have these ingredients. These home remedies for gingivitis are easy to master and any person will be able to practice them.
The information in this hub does not replace the medical treatment. Consult your physician before using this.
- How to Avoid Gum Disease Gingivitis and Periodontitis
- Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar - Natural Rem...
Apple cider vinegar is made by the process of fermentation of apple. There are many health benefits of using cider vinegar. It has multiple vitamins, pectins and minerals such as sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, sulfur,...