- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Home-Spa Tips For Healthy Glossy Fabulous Hair
Ever wondered why a select few of us are bestowed with such a healthy, shiny, gorgeous mane of hair?
The answer is multidimensional. A good set of genes, healthy, nutritious food, climate and the water you use to wash your hair, all have a say in how your hair look and feel. Some of the factors are not modifiable, but all hope is not lost if you are willing to make some effort. Keep an hour or two of your weekend aside for laser-guided focus on making your hair a major asset.
Here are a few at-home recipes for head-turning, silky, glossy, fabulous hair:
For shine and sheen (All hair-types):
- In a teaspoonful of shampoo, add a tsp each of olive oil, castor oil, Almond oil, black seed oil and Amla oil. Shake to mix in a bottle and apply in the hair and scalp 20-30 minutes before washing. This works as a tonic and a conditioner in one. The results after the very first wash are going to make you smile with pleasure!
All-purpose hair mask:
- Whether you are looking to add gloss to your hair or a bounce, this nutritious mask is going to deliver. It makes the hair look and feel wonderful, prevents and treats hair-fall, increases volume and helps in curing dry scalp conditions.
Make a paste of an egg and a tbsp of yogurt. Whip a bit and mix in a teaspoon of olive oil, a teaspoon each of powdered white and black cumin seeds, a teaspoon of onion juice and a teaspoon of vinegar. Apply all over the scalp and hair and leave on for 30 minutes to an hour. Wash off first with clear water, shampoo your hair as usual and then rinse with 1 part vinegar diluted in 3 parts water. The vinegar rinse cuts the smell of eggs and onions. You won't need to use a conditioner after the wash since the ingredients of your mask and the vinegar rinse take care of the conditioning.
- Take 1 tsp of Betnovate/ Dermovate lotion and mix in 2 tsp of liquid paraffin. Apply on the scalp for 20 minutes and wash with an antifungal wash. Widely available are Ketoconazole containing gels. If you find it hard to get your hands on a Ketoconazole preparation e.g Nizoral gel, you can always use Selsun Blue or Head & Shoulders shampoo.
Watching strands of hair come off your head every time you comb can be outright depressing. If you are otherwise healthy, start supplementing your diet with zinc tablets. Multivitamin supplements geared at making the hair healthy are a good option too. Eat a portion of dry fruit and nuts everyday. Make it a habit to sprinkle your salads and desserts with crushed or whole nuts.
- Untangle your hair and divide into 4 or 6 parts. Apply warm Arnica Oil (homeopathic) or Olive oil to the roots with a ball of cotton wool. Don't massage your scalp, it can break weak and damaged hair. Now either sit under a head-steamer or soak a fluffy towel in hot water and wrap around your head till its cool to touch. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo e.g baby shampoo after at least one hour. You can choose to leave the oil in overnight and wash in the morning, but be careful to dry your hair before going to bed.
- Use a satin pillow case to avoid breakage during sleep.
These remedies are time-tested. They have proven to be effective in the background of a healthy and balanced diet, and exercise. Keep smiling and relax: stress is the worst enemy of beauty!