Indigestion and Constipation Home Remedies that Actually Work
Causes of constipation and slow digestion are numerous. Right from unhealthy eating habits to having an over sensitive stomach to consumption of certain food to drinking less water to lack of exercising to a side-effect of certain medication to depression anything can be a cause of this. Curing it at home is really simple and free of unwanted chemicals! Here are indigestion home remedies that you can drink or eat or do.
Drinks for Constipation Home Remedies
- ButterMilk: Gujarati community in India have always had buttermilk to complete their balanced diet. Add a teaspoon of jeera (Black Cumin) powder to speed up your digestion process. Make sure you make it a part of your daily diet. No home remedy for slow digestion works wonders like this one!
- Water: Drink loads and loads of water. People who drink 3-4 litres of water everyday usually don't face any problem of slow digestion or constipation. If you are facing any of these problems then drink water at regular intervals. Give yourself a deadline to finish 1 litre of water in an hour, it'll galvanise your digestive system. That should typically do the trick.
- Lassi: The Punjabi community from India have Lassi, made by mixing yogurt and sugar, has their organic laxative. Their diet being calorie-loaded with paneer (cottage cheese), extra butter, maida, etc; they need something strong to regulate their digestion and Lassi does it for them.
- Vitamin C Juice: Lime juice is your best friend if you frequently face indigestion troubles. Form the habit of squeezing lime or lemon juice in to the food or drink half a glass after every meal. Lime has Vitamin C which is essential for smooth digestion. Time and again indulge in orange or mosambi juices, too.
Fruits as natural indigestion home remedy
Food that improve indigestion
- Fruits: Papaya!!! This fruit is not given enough credit for all the amazing health benefits that it comes with. I swear by Papaya when it comes to improve digestion. If you don't like papaya then chosen any other melons. They have high water content which lubricates your digestive system and smoothens the process. Fruits to trust during constipation are also- banana, orange, lemon, etc.
- Dry Fig: Soak 2-3 figs overnight and have them with one teaspoon of honey first thing in the morning. In 2-3 weeks you will see how your digestion speeds up making it one of the effective constipation home remedies.
- Black Salt + Ajwain: Take a pinch of black salt and Ajwain. Crush them to powder. Have it after every meal. Especially, after a heavy meal that is loaded with calories! Do not eat anything for an hour after consuming this powder.
- Herbal : Churan, the Indian laxatives are a must have in you home. The most popular and effective one is Triphala. Laxatives
- Flax seed and aloe vera are a sure shot indigestion home remedies. I personally, don't like either of them, but I swear they work wonder. Mix a little sugar to mellow down their bitter taste. Aloe vera can be taken as a juice and flax seed should be crushed and mixed with water.
Ginger is said to stimulate required digestive juices and enable the smooth flow of enzymes which help you digest your food. Hence, it is the magic food to ease your bowel movement. Add it half inch of it to your tea or simply 1 tbsp of it's raw juice at 2 hours of intervals.
Things to do for improving digestion
- Yoga: There are numerous asanas that help in improving digestion system. However, in your regular life you should start practicing Vajrasana and Supta Vajrasana everyday. Vajrasana doesn't need any special preparation. Every time post your meal sit in Vajrasana posture for up to 15 minutes. Start with 2 minutes and increase it slowly. It's the only yoga posture that one can do after eating. This improves your digestion so much that even if you end up loading yourself with food, constipation won't be a headache anymore.
- Walk: Walking is the best thing you will ever do to your body! It Exercises your body all around. Especially, it massages your internal organs and activates them. Walk for at least 45 minutes in a day! Also, make rule of not answering any phone calls during your walk. You walk needs to be absolutely stress free. Brisk walk at a pace that is just little out of your comfort level, but do not torture yourself.
- Exercise: Keep your body fit. A lazy and unfit body slows down the digestion big time. Take your pick from Zumba or Yoga or Power Yoga or cardio or dancing or anything at all that keeps you on your toes, your body active and your mind. This will automatically improve your digestion and remove all constipation troubles.
Home remedies for curing constipation, indigestion and slow digestion are numerous out there. You will have to try, test and see which works best for you and clear out your entire system. Always try in a small quantity when it comes to remedies that involve oral intake start in smaller amounts. When doing physical activities like walking, start with shorter time limit and slowly increase it. Do let me know if they worked for you!