- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Homeopathy & Homeopathic Remedies: Lead Poisoning Effects In Brain Function and Criminal Behavior
Dark Chocolate Has Cadmium and Lead
A consumer health watchdog group found higher than normal levels of lead and cadmium in some of the chocolates we eat. Check Out the list of Chocolate that was tested. No level of lead is safe. Just when you think you are eating good high grade all dark chocolate to improve your health, you find out it contains lead. Either through soil contaminants, pesticides or the manufacturing plant. Hopefully, now this fact is exposed, the chocolate makers can improve the situation and the FDA can monitor the amount of toxic lead and cadmium. Most especially children should not be eating heavy metals, since they are in developmental stages and body to food ratios are high. A list of chocolates can be found at the news link.
The List Of Products That Contains Lead Keeps Growing
Chain Link Fences
Home Grown Eggs
Indoor Outdoor Furniture
Environmental Lead is Toxic to Brain Health
Mislead The Movie | You must see this movie which exposes the true state of toxic metals and manufacturing in America with the aggravations and disruptive effects upon human life and families
- About the Film MisLEAD: America’s Secret Epidemic is a documentary feature film intended for theatrical release. It is in post-production and is current runtime is 94 minutes.
- Brief summary of the topic: The question on many minds today: what is the source of the sudden, alarming rise in the number of American children with ADD, ADHD, Autism Spectrum symptoms and similar neurological disorders—expensive impairments/disabilities that create challenges for families and cost our society more than $50,000,000,000 annually?
- MisLEAD: America’s Secret Epidemic is the first documentary film that undertakes an intellectually rigorous, emotionally compelling and illuminating inquiry into a hidden epidemic that impacts one in three American children today. Tamara Rubin, an Oregon mother whose children were poisoned, travels the country talking with parents and top experts across many fields—uncovering surprising answers.
- Background context | MisLEAD is an outreach and education project of the 501(c)3 nonprofit Lead Safe America Foundation. Filming started in December 2011 and we have a rough-cut completed as of January 2014.
In an article by Heidi Stevenson on the Gaia Health website information about lead toxicity and poisoning is presented.
Exposure to lead effects the brain, the mind and behavior. Older homes that have been painted with lead-based paints can peel and crack causing intoxication to the inhabitants of the home. Young children are especially vulnerable as they are in the growth years and microscopic particles may be inhaled or even eaten.
Documented evidence illustrates the effects of lead in the environment reduce brain size and leads to violent crime. Thus, these neighborhoods have a problem with changing the tenor of their society simply because of environmental poisons, not due to poor education or poor parenting or deficient upbringing.
Sources of Lead: Paints, Fuel, Toys, Juice, Fluoridated Drinking Water, Batteries
The acceptable blood level of lead under 10 micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL) is really unacceptable. Heidi points out that, "About 310,000 American children between ages one and five have lead exposures over 10 mcg/dL in spite of the banning of leaded fuel years ago." So, we see here that the fuel emissions also contribute to the poisoning of our air. And when the old paints are deposited in the ground without safe disposal methods that can contaminate our earth where our foods are planted. Another source of lead poisoning comes from toys manufactured in countries that do not have regulations. New evidence suggests that the form of fluoride added to drinking water supplies contains low levels of heavy metals including lead.
Legislation | California Approves Penalties For Lead In Jewelry
The bill, by Sen. Fran Pavley, D-Santa Monica, closes a loophole in state law that has allowed dozens of retailers and suppliers to avoid financial penalties. SB 646, which passedthe Senate 33-4, now heads to Gov. Jerry Brown for approval. [aug 30, 2011]
ACTION ITEM | Tell President Obama To Remove Coal Ash From Drinking Water | Sponsored by EarthJustice
Concerned citizens have posted a petition against coal ash in the drinking water supplies which contain many heavy metals including lead. Click the action item to learn more and cast your vote against industry from dumping coal ash into the water ways.
Follow The Money | Lead in Electric Wires
A CNN analysis of four common brands of Christmas lights shows levels of lead experts say are high enough to be dangerous to children.
Manufacturers do not hide the fact that lead is part of the PVC insulation that insulates Christmas light wiring. Lead is used legally to stabilize polyvinyl chloride so it does not crack or crumble with age. The lead also acts as a fire retardant.
But the levels of surface lead surprised Dr. Leo Trasande, a specialist in children's environmental health at New York's Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
- "There is no level at which lead exposure is safe," Dr. Trasande said. "Even at one microgram/deciliter -- the lowest level in a person's blood stream that we can detect -- that level has been associated with cognitive impairment in children."
- Underwriters Laboratories, which inspects tree lights for electrical and fire hazards, said there are substitutes for lead in the insulation, such as calcium and zinc, but those options would be more expensive to manufacture.
- A number of lights sold under different brand names, manufacturers and stores contain lead and warning labels. For example: Bethlehem Lighting commercial grade tangle-free lights carry a warning label that says, "Handling the coated electrical wires of this product exposes you to lead, a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm". California law in Proposition 65, requires labeling of products that cause birth defects, but many other states do not mandate labels. As reported in this article lead causes brain damage.
- Students at NC Asheville who had their hands swiped to check for lead levels resulted in levels 10 times greater than what is considered safe.
Christmas Lights Contain Lead
Garden Hoses Lead or Lead-Free?
Unless you read the label of the garden hose product you purchase, you may be dosing your lawn, your plants, sprinkling on and perhaps drinking from a toxic lined hose.
A report on HealthStuff website lists 90 varieties of hoses which contained unacceptable levels of lead based upon the Consumer Product Safety Commission Standards. We must be concerned about many other contaminants, such as plastics and toxic minerals used in the manufacturing process. Warning, these hoses are not safe to drink, so why have them on your property where someone may accidentally use it to quench their thirst.
The research also found a number of other concerning toxins leached out by garden hoses, including antimony, Bisphenol A, Di-n-butyl phthalate (DBP), Diisobuytle phtalate (DIBP) and Diisononyl phthalates (DINP). The BPA levels of hose water from the tests were twenty times higher than the .1 ppm BPA levels allowed by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) – a safe drinking water foundation and certification group.
Vitamin Chart Lists Levels Of Lead
The government provides a chart at FDA dot gov where you can learn the amount of lead in daily vitamin supplements, drops, pills and gummies for women and children. [/Food/FoodSafety/FoodContaminantsAdulteration/Metals/Lead/ucm115941.htm]
Heavy Metals May Have Cumulative Effects
I hope that I am getting my point across. As I add up the number of places where lead may potentially be hidden in our environment, may leach into our land, water and air that we breath, may turn into vapor or be handled by developing children and fetuses, we have a major problem for the safety of brain maturation.
The fact that we know FOR SURE without a doubt that lead, and other heavy metals, cause neurologic damage leading to criminal or violent behavior tells us we must clean up our act and not allow manufacturers to produce products that may cost a little less to produce when there are safer alternatives.
FDA Recommends no more than 6 ounces of juice per day
Apple juice has been found to contain unhealthy levels of arsenic. In addition to that carcinogen, lead has also been detected. Of the 88 samples analyzed, Consumer reports says 10 percent had arsenic levels that exceeded federal standards for bottled and municipal water. The FDA has done there own investigation and sampling that confirms unsafe levels of arsenic and lead in some samples of apple juice and grape juice in the NY City area.
We do not know the origin of the problem, whether it comes from pesticide residue in the earth or another source. What about juice from other parts of the country or in other countries? Have regulators taken more samples?
Limit amount of juice given to children
WHO Recent News | Nigeria Zamfara State has encountered mass lead poisoning from mining activities. US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC) at the request of the Nigeria Federal Ministry of Health has revealed at least 43 villages in Zamfara State where there are confirmed cases of lead poisoning (blood lead concentration >10 μg/dL). In at least seven of these villages there are children who need chelation therapy (blood lead concentration >45 μg/dL). This is in addition to the seven villages that have now been remediated.
In just one year, children effected by the lead contamination improved through chelation and other therapies from 43% mortality in 2011 to 1% mortality in 2011.
Contamination of 43 villages in Zamfara State where there are confirmed cases of lead continue to occur due to the mining processes, the location of these mines and the storage and sanitation measures. Plans to move villages further from the mining facilities, better cleaning of clothing covered in toxic dust, and preventing miners from bringing lead particles home on their body and clothing.
All of these organizations have become involved with the pressure to Nigeria to clean up their mining activities: WHO, United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) - Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) Joint Environment Unit, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), the US CDC, the Blacksmith Institute, TerraGraphics Environmental Engineering Inc, and the Artisanal Gold Council, working with authorities and leaders at community, state and federal level.
Is your toothpaste fluoridated?
Adverse Effects of Lead and Fluoride in Combination in the Body
- International Journal of Environmental Studies | Researchers who studied lead screening data from 280,000 Massachusetts children found average blood lead levels significantly higher in children living in communities where water is treated with silico-fluorides. These facts are confirmed by data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Evaluation Survey and a survey of over 120,000 children in New York towns.
- Archives of Oral Biology | In a study of two groups of rats with one group given ONLY fluoride and the other given both fluoride plus lead, the second group presented with more severe enamel defects compared with the fluoride only group. Researchers concluded that lead exacerbates dental fluorosis in rodents suggesting that co-exposure to lead could impact the degree of fluorosis.
Risks of Lead Toxicity: Violent Crime, Heart Attack, Stroke
I encourage you to read the article to see the figures and read the Cinncinnati study parameters. The 12-year study was well designed, eliminating any possible other causes or factors for altered behavior or disease. The results showed a definitive correlation between lead exposure in children to general arrest rates and violent crime rates. "A shocking 50% increase in violent crimes occurred for each 5 mcg/dcL increase in blood lead concentration." In addition, "The results showed that the brain's gray matter -- the part associated with intellect and reasoning ability -- was shrunk an average of 1.2%. The part of the brain most significantly affected was the anterior cingulate cortex. This part of the brain is involved in a wide range of functions, both autonomic and mental/emotional. Blood pressure and heart rate are affected, as well as empathy, emotion, and reasoning-knowledge storing abilities."
Clean Up The Problem
We have proof that lead is toxic to the body and mind in extremely low levels. The government took steps to eradicate lead in fuel decades ago, yet lead still is prevalent in poor neighborhoods , especially in old homes. Painting over the lead-based paints does not solve the problem. Do you think the government is responsible for going in and cleaning up these homes safely? The result would be parents would not have to deal with children with violent behavior and an abundance of criminal acts. This, in turn, would lead to a better society. These young people could grow up to fulfill their potential to contribute to society. This would reduce the need for police, courtrooms, and jails. The tax moneys could go toward better education and improving the school systems and training teachers. Funding could go to home improvements, neighborhood development, installation of parks and recreational facilities. Everyone would benefit.
Natural Approach to Healing
The problem I see is that the toxic exposure is at a constant level. This would be analogous to living in a dysfunctional family. The only way to improve the situation is to remove the person from the offending and causative environment. Environmental poisons, crimes, emotional instability, and poor living conditions all lead to a degradation of life and the inability to improve the situation no matter how hard one tries. One solution is to move to a location without these obstacles to cure. But, what if there is no way out?
Homeopathic remedies have been known to counter-act the effects of toxic poisonings of metals in the body. If we refer to the rubrics in the repertory, a depository of known remedies and their effectiveness, we can see that "lead, Poisoning" is listed. These remedies do not require a prescription, but it is always best to seek advice from a professional homeopath.
In the chapter, Toxicity, of Murphy's Repertory
Lead, poisoning ~ Alumina, causticum and Plumbum [lead] and Tuberculinum [nosode] are of black letters. This means they have been the most effective. Since homeopathy works on the principle of "likes cures likes" this makes sense that one metal can counter-act another. Tuberculinum is known for its violent behavior. There are a total of 35 remedies listed, so it is best to see a specialists to find the one that matches best.
There is also a listing of chronic effects for lead poisoning and another listing for paralysis from lead poisoning. Skimming through the fifty or more remedies listed most of them are either minerals, metals or plants. So, the foods we eat and plants that grow near the run-off and ground contamination can absorb the lead and, in turn, be used in homeopathic doses to alleviate many of the symptoms which is contributed to lead toxicity.
The symptoms which are highlighted would be brain dysfunction, violent behavior resultant from brain damage such as screaming, kicking, hitting, a desire to kill, and also muscle disfunction leading to paralysis.
Most homeopaths appreciate when their clients have an emergency home-kit. Whether you have a phone consultation, via the internet interaction or in-person interview, having the kit for emergency use is very convenient.
Gaia-Health Writes Lead Shrinks the Brain and Causes Violent Crime
Lead From Old U.S. Batteries Sent to Mexico Raises Risks
Not a week goes by when another incident or discovery of heavy metal contamination occurs in our environment or to a localized group of people. Soil samples of 2,000 parts per million in Mexico near a children's elementary school was found to have high levels of lead.
As the United States EPA increase safety measures for disposal of toxic metals and develop recycling disposal centers, no one watches what happens to these items once we drop them off.
Many of the increasing number of collected batteries [20 million this year] containing lead shipped to Mexico undergo an unsafe process to mine the lead. Mexico does not have the same rigid standards, funding and oversight committees.
- Lead is a necessary component of cellphone networks, solar power arrays and the Chinese car market
- The limited global supply means Mexicans gain income from the processing of old batteries.
- The need for lead increases as the supply dwindles
- Lead that seeps into the ground contaminates the earth and water supply for decades.
- EPA Standards Page
- Electronic consumer waste products can include cadmium, chromium, lead, mercury, and PVCs says SmartPlanet
- Original 4-page News article on NYTIMES
CLEAN TECHNOLOGY | Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant experiments utilizing old spent auto batteries to help reduce waste and prevent contamination of earth, air and water where a 500-kilowatt solar installation and a 50-kilowatt-hour facility demonstrates the potential for used electric vehicle batteries in energy storage.
Contaminated Pills Sold A Bill of Goods
PDF Preventing Metal Contamination by Hallie Forcinio
"Metal contaminants are classified as ferrous (magnetic), nonferrous (highly conductive nonmagnetic metals such as copper, aluminum, and brass), and nonmagnetic stainless steel. Ferrous contaminants are the easiest to detect and 300 series stainless steel contaminants (such as those commonly used in pharmaceutical processing and packaging machinery) are the most difficult to locate because the material is not particularly conductive or magnetic."
Thus, the drugs manufactured for ingestion into our bodies may be contaminated with metal fragments. Please check your pills and if you can, reduce intake with physician guidance.
Lead Tainted Tennis Racket Recall
Lead Lined DisneyLand
LA Times | A walk through Disneyland would not seem so grand if you knew that samples of building materials contained lead. Hopefully, the stained-glass Pinocchio window in the dining area of Village Haus restaurant, which contains a lead exposure of 350 micrograms, stands outside the reach of children's hands.
Chainlink fences, brass door knobs and water fountains may also harbor levels of lead. The "Mateel Environmental Justice Foundation filed a lawsuit in Orange County Superior Court in April 2011 against Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S. Inc., alleging excessive levels of lead." Disneyland officials reject the charges and claim they are in full compliance with state laws regarding lead levels and signage alerting patrons of such levels.
Balsamic Vinegar Contains Lead
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH NEWS | Studies show concerning levels of lead, which can cause permanent brain damage when children are exposed, in certain vinegars -- even high-end aged balsamic varieties.
Like GMO Cosmetics Lack Labeling Regulations
CAMPAIGN FOR SAFE COSMETICS --> LINK TO READ WHOLE REPORT
According to independent lab tests initiated by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, some lipsticks available for sale in 2007 contained lead.
More than half of 33 top-brand lipsticks tested (61%) contained detectable levels of lead, with levels ranging from 0.03 to 0.65 parts per million (ppm).
One-third of the lipsticks exceeded the 0.1 ppm FDA lead limit for candy – a standard established to protect children from directly ingesting lead.
Among the brands tested found to have the highest lead levels were L’Oreal, Cover Girl and Christian Dior – showing that the more expensive brands are no safer than drugstore brands.
Home Grown Eggs In Brooklyn
Because you must be getting the idea now that this toxic metal "lead" is everywhere in our environment, even our food will be contaminated. Due to industrialization over the past century, an accumulation of lead from old buildings with peeling paint, waste disposal into the earth and backyards of neighborhoods, now with a new generation who want to homestead have a problem.
Measurements of parts per million indicate a troubling fact. Lead now found in family farmed chicken eggs have much too much lead. The solution may be to feed organic grains and not allow your lovely chickens to graze and peck in the yard.
Read more at The New York Times /2012/10/10/dining/worries-about-lead-for-new-yorks-garden-fresh-eggs.html
The journal Nature Nanotechnology Reports
Heidi Stevenson of Gaia Health | Heavy Metals Damage DNA Without Crossing Cell Membrane
Metal nanoparticles can affect cellular DNA without crossing the cell membrane. This may have significant implications for people concerned with heavy metal damage, such as mercury in autism.
The metals studied were cobalt and chromium, because they're used in implants. The study's authors state, "The potential damage to tissues located behind cellular barriers needs to be considered when using nanoparticles for targeting diseased states.
Pottery and Paint Contains Lead
Recent investigation indicates that China porcelain that we use to serve hot foods also contains lead in the paints. CONTAMINATED Ceramics sold in Philadelphia's Chinatown tested positive for lead. Mexican ceramics were a significant source of lead contamination.
Lead can leach out of the pottery which will enter the food on the plate. Three plates and two spoons were found to be leaching lead in quantities that far exceeded the limits set by the Food and Drug Administration. One of the plates leached lead at more than 145 parts per million. The agency’s limit is 2 parts per million.
Old Paint Contained Lead
An excellent resource to learn about the precautions used for removing old paint from homes can be found Here at LeadPro
Do Not Drink or Eat from Lead Crystal
The Link Between Lead and Fluoride
Dr Mercola | The form of fluoride added to our drinking water comes from a non-food grade phosphate fertilizer called hydrofluorosilicic acid, which typically contains particles of arsenic, lead, cadmium, and mercury, plus a variety of other contaminants that are part of the phosphate ore.
Declassified Manhattan Project and the Atomic Energy Commission files imply water fluoridation protected the bomb and aluminum industries from liability.
"Studies on the health effects and safety of fluoride have always used pharmaceutical grade fluoride—not the far more toxic hydrofluorosilicic acid from the phosphate fertilizer industry. In the last two years, only TWO studies have finally dealt with the continued use of hydrofluorosilicic acid, and found it increases lead accumulation in blood up to seven times. It also increases lead absorption in bone, teeth and other calcium-rich tissues."
The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission Provides numerous webpages and PDF file links to help inform the public about toxins in the environment:
- Children's Jewelry That Contains Lead
- Hearings On The Danger's Of Lead Based Paint
- Lead in Paint Recall
- Lead Paint In Public Playgrounds
The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development [HUD] provides an entire section to help home owners create healthy homes and watch for lead hazard control.
- The Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control (OHHLHC) is unique among federal agencies. The OHHLHC was established to eliminate lead-based paint hazards in America's privately-owned and low-income housing and to lead the nation in addressing other housing-related health hazards that threaten vulnerable residents.This site goes beyond just information pamphlets about lead hazards. They provide information about health conditions like asthma and causes of illness like mold growth, plus how to help with substandard housing.
THE EPA | Another arm of the government, The Environmental Protection Agency, has an entire site devoted to 'lead' in the environment and has created a 'seal of approval.'
- As a home owner, do you want to get started yourself?
- Do you want to get involved with the Health Kids Campaign?
- Would you like to hire a professional?
- Learn about lead in paint, dust, and soil in mainly residential settings.
Lead has been in use for a long time
- Centers for Disease Control, Blood Lead Levels in Residents of Homes with Elevated Lead in Tap Water — District of Columbia, 2004
- Environmental Science & Technology, Elevated Blood Lead in Young Children Due to Lead-Contaminated Drinking Water: Washington, DC, 2001−2004, Marc Edwards, Simoni Triantafyllidou, Dana Best
- Lead Causes Violent Crime and Shrinks the Brain
- Salon.com, Health agency covered up lead harm, by Rebecca Renner
- Politics, Policy & Public Health, Association between lead poisoning among children less than six years old and lead service pipes in Washington DC, Jaime Raymond, MPH, et al
DISCLAIMER: This Information is for Educational Purposes Only
About the Author | Debby Bruck, CHOM founded Homeopathy World Community social network. Debby believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future that provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach. Follow Debby on Twitter.
Disclaimer: This Information is for Educational Purposes Only
- The information on this blogsite is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical or legal advice. As with any important medical or legal matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider and/or knowledgeable attorney concerning your specific health & vaccine exemption or waiver concerns.
- No attorney-client relationship or doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient or an attorney-client relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Debby Bruck
- Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Debby Bruck assumes no liability for the same.
- Debby Bruck has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
- Always check with your health care provider