- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Safe home remedy for Lice that really works and saves money
In today’s economy we don’t always have the money to buy-off-the-shelf remedies for some of our less serious aliments, although LICE is not deadly it is very unpleasant. I am not a doctor or a research scientist but I have through experience found many home remedies that work and that is why I am sharing them.
I have found that natural remedies often work better and have little to no side effects. In the case of LICE they become immune to pesticides and the pesticides are not good for our children.
LICE– every parent or caretaker’s nightmare.
No One Wants Head Lice
I was taking care of my niece who was about nine years old at the time. There was an outbreak of lice at her school. We bought an off-the-shelf-product – nasty smelling and harsh. It did not work and was very expensive. We bought another one and it was equally nasty and did not work and was also expensive -- I was angry and frustrated.
Then a friend suggested using extra virgin olive oil and vinegar – it smelled good and helped restore her hair that had been damaged by the other products -- and it worked.
- Purchase a bottle of Olive Oil -- Extra Virgin is better but any olive oil will do and a bottle of vinegar.
- First, put the infected person’s head over a sink – pour olive oil over the hair and rub it into the scalp. Keep pouring and massaging the olive oil into the scalp and hair – drench the hair and scalp.
- If you have a bad infestation you will see lice falling off into the sink. If you can comb the hair without too much trouble comb the hair over the sink. keep applying olive oil.
- Wrap the hair in a plastic bag or shower cap and leave for a least an hour or more.
STEP FOUR -- THIS STEP CAN BE OMITTED AND IT WILL STILL WORK, THIS IS JUST A LITTLE EXTRA TO MAKE SURE THE LICE DO NOT SURVIVE.
- With infected person's head over the sink rinse hair and scalp with vinegar. Work into scalp and hair. Leave the vinegar on the hair for at least 15 minutes. Comb if possible. Rinse the vinegar from hair.
- Wash the hair with regular shampoo – it will take several times. When hair is dry use the nit comb. This should be done daily until all nits are gone. For good measure this process should be repeated in four or five days just to be sure.
- LAST BUT NOT LEAST WASH EVERYTHING! BEDDING, CLOTHING AND WHAT EVER ELSE THEY CAME IN CONTACT WITH.
- LICE DIE WITHIN TWO DAYS OF FALLING OFF THEIR HOST. SWEEPING THE FLOORS AND FURNITURE SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THE REST.
The good thing about this treatment is that it is not harmful the olive oil smothers the lice to death and the vinegar finishes them off with the acid. The hair actually is improved by this treatment. Any olive oil will work but the thicker the olive oil the better.