- Mental Health»
How Alcoholics Can Fight Their Addiction
Never Give up - Keep Fighting
Have you ever been in a fight and have lost? Have you ever been in a fight and won? Alcoholics fight their addiction every single day of their lives. How alcoholics can fight their addiction is in the hands of each and every alcoholic.
Some alcoholics feel as if they don't have a drinking problem and are very content with the life they are living and then there are those that live in hell each and everyday wondering how they can fight back and win over the addiction they have. This is no easy task believe me. I have had the unpleasant experience of alcohol addiction being first on my priority list and first in my life above all.
This addiction to alcohol is like living in hell. If you have it in your heart to be clean and sober, but just don't have the willpower or enough determination to get sober you are one step in the right direction. You want sobriety deep down in your heart, but something deeper tells you that you may not be ready just yet to get sober and find yourself and your sobriety. So what is the next step in frighting back at your addiction?
Anyone that is addicted to alcohol knows exactly what I am talking about. It is a rough ride trying to get sober, but if you want sobriety bad enough it will come and stay if that's what you want in your life.
- You know that sobriety is possible, but how to you go about achieving it?
- You know your life is not normal and depend on your addiction to alcohol to get through your day.
- You know that your family is falling apart due to you addiction to alcohol.
- You know that alcohol is your crutch and without it you are lost.
- You maybe losing days at work due to being so hung over from the night before.
- Your health is declining each and everyday you drink.
- You look into the mirror and wonder if that is you staring back.
- Your looks have changed and you have either lost or gained weight.
Above are just a few things you should think about when trying to fight your addiction. If you stop fighting your addiction to alcohol will continue to take charge of your life and it will be harder and harder to surrender to your addiction as time goes by.
Nip it in the bud fast so your demons don't think they have won. Keep fighting back until you win the battle of the demons inside of you. They are nothing but a horrible habit you picked up on your life's journey. You can get rid of that horrible habit just as easy as you got it years ago. The one thing you need to do though is to want sobriety and like I have said in the beginning, if you have it in your heart and soul to get sober then everything else will follow.
Books on Fighting Your Addiction
Plan of Attack
Your plan of attack should be some of the following. This plan worked for me and hopefully it will work for others trying to fight the inner demons.
- First thing, you HAVE to WANT SOBRIETY in your life and not be forced into it by someone else, but yourself.
- You need to have a positive attitude at all times from now on in and not let anything stand in your way to achieving long term sobriety.
- You MUST believe in yourself and continue to tell yourself you can and will fight your addiction until you win!
- You need to tell everyone that you are beginning a new life of sobriety and you will be quitting drinking alcohol.
- If you think you may need help with this journey to sobriety then just ask for the help you need to get into recovery. Never be ashamed of yourself or the addiction you have. Let it out in the open and don't be embarrassed to ask for help. Many people that love you will be more than happy to give the help you need to get sober and they will be thrilled to death that you are making this life change and fighting your addiction until sobriety wins.
© 2012 Mark Bruno