How to Know if You Are Healthy - Check Here For The Tell Tale Signs
Are You Healthy?
Mother nature has a way to solve our problem or tell us in advance that a problem could be on the way. Our health does not simply fail in a day. It deteriorates over time and if we are well informed, we can tell from the early signs that we are not going to be healthy.
So how to know if you are healthy?
Read on to find out.
(Note: These telltale signs are only symptoms and you should consult your doctor if it is an indication of specific health issues. If you don't take the necessary steps to remedy these symptoms, then the health issues could develop into something serious).
1. Can You Wake Up Without an Alarm Clock?
If you can wake up about the same time every day, without the assistance of an alarm clock, then you are well rested.
We all need a good night sleep and be well rested. A well-rested body means your internal systems are working effectively. This is important to good health. Lack of sleep or a good rest is not only physically and mentally tiring during the day but could be a sign of heart disease, overweight problem or even stroke.
(Some people try to make up for the late nights by sleeping longer on weekends. This is a wrong strategy for sleep deprivation).
2. Your Urine Color
Keeping your body hydrated is part of being healthy. You should be drinking at least eight glasses of water a day. You need to drink more if you are working in the sun and sweating, or had been playing sports or doing a workout.
To know if you are hydrated, check your urine color.
The normal urine color of a well-hydrated person will be a pale yellow or straw yellow. Any other colors could be due to health issues, medications, drugs or supplements that you are taking. Hence, stop taking these medications, drugs or supplements for a few days to recheck your urine color.
A foamy urine could be due to eating too much protein, more than what your body can absorb. If you have this on a regular basis, you should see a doctor as it can be an indication of gallbladder or kidney problems.
Cloudy urine or milky urine could be due to some foods that you had taken or simply balance of your semen that had remained in the urinary tract. If this problem persists, it could be urinary tract infection (normally with a burning urination), kidney or gallbladder problem.
Blood in the urine is serious enough for you to see your doctor immediately.
3. Your Bowel Movement
The quality as well as the quantity of what goes out of your digestive system is another telltale signs on the state of your health.
You are healthy if:
- Your bowel movement is about the same time every day
- Your stool is large, soft and easy to pass. It will also sink.
Check with your doctor if you have the following:
- Irregular bowel movement or not going for a few days (could be lack of fiber, constipation, medication, lack of water, not having breakfast, etc.)
- It floats and stinks! (could be from the unabsorbed fat)
- Stool colors are either bright red (could be from your food or hemorrhoid), too dark (could be from your iron pill supplement or internal bleeding) or pale or gray color (could be due to pancreatic or digestive track problem)
- Stool textures are hard & dry (could be from your medications, lack of water and fiber), look like small lumps (could be due to lack of fiber & water, high protein low carbohydrate diet) too liquid (could be from viral or bacterial infection or a sudden increase in fiber) and slim and slender shape, like a pencil (could be an indication of colon cancer)
4. Your Nail Color & Texture
Signs of good health are when your nails have the smooth surface, pink in color and firm when touched.
If your nail shows the following telltale signs, then check with your doctor
- dry and brittle that can split easily: thyroid problem
- white nail: liver problem such as hepatitis
- yellowish, thick and slow growing: lung problem
- yellowish with a slight blush at the base: diabetes
- half white & half pink: kidney problem
- pale with a whitish nail bed: anemic with low in the red blood cell count
- thin, concave and with raised ridges: lack of iron
- rippling surface: arthritis
RELATED POST - How Adult Coloring Books Can Improves Emotional and Intellectual Health
- Adult Coloring Sheets - For Stress Relief?
Read how it can be a relaxation tool and a stress reliever - to reduce anxiety and create focus
- Free Adult Coloring Sheets for Your Android Devices
Instead of using coloring books, download these apps and use it on your Android devices - handphones, tablets etc.
5. What Your Eyes Say of Your Health
Eyes and the eye area can tell a lot about your health. Below are telltale signs that might mean health problems:
- If you see lumpy yellowish patches on your eyelid, it could be an indication of high cholesterol
- Part of your eye that is white is slowly turning yellowish: symptom of jaundice
- Brown spot on the eyelid could be a form of skin cancer
- Eyes that appear to bulge could be an indication of an overactive thyroid.
6. How Good Is Your Skin?
We tend to spend time and money taking care of our face. We put on moisturizer and sunblock but failed to observe the skin color, for signs of any health issues. Check the following if you have these:
- Yellowish skin: signs of an underactive thyroid
- A velvety patch near the neck or armpit could be an indication of diabetes.
- If your hand or feet have a brown discoloration, could be an early sign of kidney problem
7. How Good Is Your Sense of Smell, another Telltale Sign
If you have problems with your sense of smell for items such as cinnamon, banana or even lemon, you are more likely to get Parkinson's disease (based on study by Annals of Neurology)
8. Are You Healthy? Check Your Tongue Color & Texture
Your tongue is also another indication of your health. So stick out your tongue now and check for the followings:
- A thin white coating on your tongue is normal and healthy. However, a heavy coating could be fungus infection or over dosage of antibiotic or using too much of your favorite mouthwash
- Pale color could be due to lack of hemoglobin
- Bright red could be a lack of iron and vitamin B
- Purple could either be high cholesterol or chronic bronchitis
- If the texture shows raised red spots, it could be from drinking hot beverages, or lack of vitamin C
- If you have a dry tongue, it could be due to stress.
9. Your Resting Heart Rate
For most adults, the normal resting heart rate should vary between 60-80 bpm (beats per minute). Lower resting heart rate means a stronger cardiovascular fitness. Athletes who are fitter will have about 40 bpm or lower. For tabulation of resting heart rate for men and women of various age groups, check buzzle.com website.
If your resting heart rate is higher than 80 bpm, then you should start doing your cardio workout such as jogging, rope skipping, cycling, dancing, etc. to make your heart stronger.
Heart Rate Back to Normal
How long will it take your heart rate to go back to normal, after a strenuous workout or a cardio session? If it takes five minutes or less, then you are in good shape.
10. Are You Healthy? Check Your Body Mass Index BMI
Ideally, you should be within 10 pounds of your ideal body weight. Your ideal weight is measured by the Body Mass Index (BMI) which is based on height and weight. It also varies according to your age and gender. To check your BMI, go to the National Heart Lung & Blood Institute website.
In addition, you should also test your body-fat percentage. For male under 40, you should be between 8-19%. If you are above 40, then it should be in the range of 11-22%.
For female under 40, it should be 21-33%. If you are above 40, then it should be 23-35%.
If you are below these ranges, then you are under-fat, and if above the range, you are overweight.
Using both the BMI and Body-Fat data will give you a better indication of your health state.
To boost your immune system, read this article Five Great Immune-Boosting Superfoods:
- Five Great Immune-Boosting Superfoods
Check these five superfoods that must be in your diet, to boost your body immune system.
How Can You be Healthy
If you follow the above tips, it is a step closer to keeping yourself fit and healthy.
Staying healthy is about taking care of your body, eating all the healthy foods, and staying fit!
If you don't know how then read this book on Ayurvedic Home Remedies. It will at least gives you a headstart.
So start your new you, today!
Can Coffee Improves Your Health? Read These to Find Out:
- How Good is Coffee? - 4 More Reasons Why Coffee is Good for You
Coffee & Caffeine have many health benefits from preventing diabetes, cancer, depression, Parkinson's & Alzheimer’s disease & more. Check out four more reasons why you should continue to drink coffee
- Benefits of Coffee for Women - The Good, the Bad and the Myth
Will it reduce your breast size? Will it turn you into an alcoholic? Read why coffee is good and bad for women.
- Is Coffee Good for Men - How Much Coffee Should You Drink?
Coffee will improves as well as bring harm to men's masculinity. Check out how.
© 2012 Mazlan