- Alternative & Natural Medicine
How Does the Color Blue Affect Your Mood?
Colors have a very deep effect on the way we live; they drastically contribute to the changes in our thoughts and emotions.
For the most part, the color blue can have a positive impact on our mood and can aid us in feeling calm, relaxed, tranquil, or soothed. Have you thought about how you feel when you see the color blue? Does blue affect your own mood?
Physiologically, it is thought that seeing the color blue can actually help to lower blood pressure, as opposed to seeing red which can have the opposite effect. Perhaps that is one of the biggest reasons why the color blue has such a calming effect? Personally, my favourite blues are those of a clear blue sky and turquoise-blue ocean (there’s no place I feel calmer than lying on a tropical beach)!
The color blue does not always install such a restful and soothing mood. Too much blue, or particularly dark shades of blue, can be seen as cold, damp or depressing. A lighter shade is thought to promote more positive feelings depending on the surroundings. For example, a light blue bedroom may encourage a calm and restful mood, whilst a worker in a light blue office may feel more productive.
Good blue moods bring feelings of calmness, serenity, tranquility, clear thought and productivity.
Bad blue moods bring feelings of sadness, discouragement, darkness, unclear thoughts and coldness.
Have you noticed how many quotes and expressions have references to the color blue?
- Do you feel blue or do you have “the blues”? Having the blues refers to feeling sad or unhappy.
- “To Shout Blue Murder” means to shout or scream aloud in fear or anger.
- “Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions.” – A quote by Pablo Picasso
- “There is no blue without yellow and without orange.” – A quote by Vincent Van Gogh
- To say that something happens in a “blue moon” is to say that it happens very rarely. On occasion the moon can look slightly blue or grey, for example after a volcanic eruption when the dust particles give a “bluish” appearance.
- “I have often said that I wish I had invented blue jeans: the most spectacular, the most practical, the most relaxed and nonchalant. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity, all I hope for in my clothes.” – A quote by Yves Saint-Laurent
- To “look blue” is to look uneasy or unsettled, which is derived from the idea that fear drains our cheeks of color thus making a person look grey or blue.
- The safest investments on the stock market are issued by large successful companies and known as “blue chip stocks”. Blue chips were considered the highest value chips issued in a poker game when the expression was first used.
- “Our Union is river, lake, ocean, and sky: Man breaks not the medal, when God cuts the die! Though darkened with sulphur, though cloven with steel, the blue arch will brighten, the waters will heal!” – A quote by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
- “Only peril can bring the French together. One can't impose unity out of the blue on a country that has 265 different kinds of cheese.” – A quote by Charles de Gaulle
- “True blue will never stain”. This expression means that a noble heart will never disgrace itself and it comes from the fact that butchers wore blue aprons that do not show blood stains.
How many more blue quotes or expressions can you think of?