- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
How I Became Toxic And How Am I Getting Well Today?
Toxins And What They Do To Our Health
Improve Your Health Today!
I thought I would write about my reason for wanting to become toxin free as far as I am able. I say this because so many of the toxins that we ingest or absorb enter our bodies and environments unannounced, and without our knowledge.
All our stories relating to toxins begin in the womb. Our mothers carried all the eggs for reproduction with them from birth, so any encounter with toxins before they became pregnant with us, would have had an impact on our growth in the womb. The majority of studies indicate that the average number of toxins in the blood stream of a new born is 200, and other scientists talk of how there would be other toxins stored in areas such as the brain that would increase the number further.
So, assuming that I was an average child, I would have entered the world with over 200 toxic chemicals in my body. I know that my mother said that from the age of 6 months to 2 years, farmers were spraying the fields around us and I was really sick, but the repeated trips to the doctor resulted in her being told that it was nothing to worry about.
I was a very sickly child. I was allergic to everything, had food intolerances, and got what they called bronchitis regularly, although I have since learned that it was asthma. I do remember being alone in my allergies and intolerances 40 years ago, and it being a great inconvenience to everyone, whereas it seems that every one has an allergy or intolerance today. That fact alone should tell us something about the state of our compromised health.
My mother grew a lot of the fruit and vegetables that we ate without chemicals, but when considering the other food we ate, like the food that the rest of society was eating, it will have been covered in pesticides and herbicides.
We lived in a normal house, and cleaned it in the normal way with the cleaning products of the time. No comment there, except that as there was very little knowledge about the toxic effect of cleaning products, I would imagine the cupboard was full of nasty chemicals.
I started smoking quite young and did so for many years. The chemicals found in cigarettes include carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, formaldehyde, hydrogen cyanide, ammonia, nicotine (an insecticide- a cockroach killer), mercury, cadmium, arsenic, butane, and aluminium. Not that most smokers seem to care about what the cigarette contains, but looking back, I am so thankful that I was able to quit about 8 years ago.
I also drank alcohol perhaps more than was good for me, and with that came pesticides, and herbicides and other chemical additives.
I spent a few summers painting for a living and remember feeling really ill when I used gloss paint in an enclosed space for a few days. Paint has quantities of lead, and other additives that make it very toxic- even the newer brands that say that they are kinder on your breathing contain lead and other poisonous additives. I have always enjoyed DIY and so have inhaled many noxious substances over the years.
From a very early age, I had a really great relationship with all that is sweet. I say great, but what I actually mean is obsessive. I chewed my way through vast quantities of sweets and puddings and used sugar as a friend....I assume that sugar itself is grown with pesticides and herbicides, but from the toxic point of view, what ensued was a mouth full of metal fillings. These fillings leak mercury at room temperature, and we eat cooked food....See my hub on Mercury for a film showing the leakage. Mercury sends you mad- as in “Mad as a Hatter” as it goes to your brain and interferes with the signals, so you slur your speech and get the tremors.
We also drank water from the tap, which was fluorinated, and studies by a professor in Australia have concluded that fluoride aggravates dental decay, despite being sold to us as something that will keep our teeth healthy. It is a poison that is a by-product of the aluminium refining process, which is said to contain arsenic, barium, beryllium, cadmium, lead, mercury, copper...all of which are not good for our health...
From the age of 18, I started to go grey so I began playing with colour from that age. I dyed it, and highlighted it pretty regularly, and even permed it once, and it is only recently that I began to learn about the toxic chemicals in hair dyes, especially the darker ones (I have dark brown hair) that are highly carcinogenic.
I would wear cheap jewellery that I was allergic to, and it would make my arms and ears go green. This did not seem to stop me, despite the fact that it itched horrendously- what we put ourselves through for the sake of fashion... I am not sure what I would have been absorbing there, but I am pretty sure it was not healthy.
I also had a series of vaccinations throughout my childhood, and teenage years, as did everyone else. I know now that these come as standard with mercury, aluminium and a host of other toxins. I also swallowed antibiotics fairly regularly as I was so sickly, so just really thinking there about how that would have been weakening my already poorly immune system. Oh, and I also inherited an auto-immune disease which most likely compounded the problem. Interestingly, research is showing that the immune system is one of the systems most negatively affected by toxins in the body.
I, like everyone else, used bathroom products and make up that was jam packed with chemical nasties. Add to this, perfume, room fresheners, and deodorants (formerly known to deliver aluminium to the armpit directly), and you have a veritable cornucopia of chemical toxins directly onto your skin.
Other sources of toxins that I am aware of having been exposed to include vehicle fumes, industrial cleaning products, swimming pool additives, suntan lotions, fake spray tan, nail varnish and nail varnish remover, fire retardant on new clothes, plastics from food containers, food additives, food contaminants (including mercury, lead, TBT, arsenic and cadmium), tap water (aluminium), DEET, garden pesticides, wood treatments (arsenic and others), anaesthetics, medications, second hand smoke, dry cleaning chemicals, detergents, and so on and so forth. The list is frightening and by no means complete, as most of the toxins that we ingest or are exposed to we are unconscious of being in contact with.
Suffice to say that my health was appalling. I had constant colds, coughs (cigarettes helped those a lot), and sore throats, allergies, intolerances, aches and pains, and severe depression, on and off. I think that I got to the stage where I no longer had a concept of what it would feel like to be healthy. I knew I had to change.
I had always been amazed by the way we pollute our planet, and how we pour chemicals into the waterways incessantly, with no regard for Mother Nature or the health of our home. I had read many books about the subject since finding “Silent Spring” by Rachel Carson, and felt very passionately that I should do something to help the planet. One day I was reading a book about what we could do to start making a difference, and it occurred to me that maybe I should look at my own health.
I began this journey with organic fruit and vegetables and eventually gave up the cigarettes and the alcohol. I switched to organic and toxin free bathroom products, cleaning products, and hair dyes, almost exclusively. I think I was aware that I had done a lot of harm to my body and needed to do things very differently if my health was to improve. I began to study the fuel that I was putting into my body, and tried where possible to keep away from environments and people that were toxic.
Since beginning this journey of detoxification, much has changed. For me it has been as much about emotions and belongings as it has been about products and foods. Today, I am allergic to a lot less than I was growing up, I very rarely get colds and bronchitis, and I have much more energy than I ever have before. I am still improving, and the product that I talk about in my articles- Activated Liquid Zeolite- has been a tremendous help to me. I am so grateful that our bodies are designed to detox continually, so as I have drastically reduced my toxic burden, my body has begun to function more effectively.
I feel really passionate about telling others about the role of toxins in their health issues. I understand that many doctors are unaware of the impact of toxins on our health, and so will continue to prescribe medication that will alleviate the symptoms but fail to address the cause of the problem. This is why it is so important to find out for ourselves and take responsibility for our own health.
Toxins affect our health by destroying the processes that enable us to regenerate, renew and repair. They mimic the bodies’ responses so that the fantastic machine that is our body can no longer function in the way it was designed to.
Give your body the best chance it has got, since we are all highly toxic, to function as optimally as it could if toxins had never been invented. Find out all you can about how to rid your body of man-made chemicals so that you can be healthier, happier, and feel younger than you do today. Find out about Activated Liquid Zeolite and how it can help you today.
Written by Caroline Nettle.
Please retweet this article.
Other Hubs along the same vein:
Would You Like To Write For HubPages As Well?
Do you enjoy writing and have some thoughts to share? Would you like to make some money at the same time? If so, HubPages is a great place to air your views, share your thoughts, and hone your writings skills. There are a few different ways to earn money, and there are many hubs that explain exactly how to do this for you. It is a great community and you can learn so much from other hubbers.
Sign Up Today with HubPages for free and share your talent with the world!