- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
How To Create An Ideal Environment for sleeping.
Do you have problem falling asleep or staying asleep?
I am pretty sure everyone has experienced problem with falling asleep or staying asleep at some point in there life. There are many things that play into a quality sleep. One of the most important factor i consider is environment. Times and times again we ignore our environment. The look and feel, the temperature and sound, in your bedroom all of them affect your sleep. So here's a solution or a new sleeping habits you might wanna try out or get it indulged in your lifestyle.
Lighting, Temperature and More
1) Use Dim Lights: Once you get into bed avoid turning on overhead lights and lamps with high brightness. This is one of many factors that affect your hormone level .You see light affects secretion of sleep hormone melatonin. In the day time our body produces small level of melatonin, because of the sun light. Same goes with any other light. Melatonin is the hormone that induces sleep ...so go figure.
Solution: Instead of using those overhead lights replace them with clip- on hand head lights. These are good enough to cover your entire book while not affecting your partner or your hormone level significantly.
2) Electromagnetic Fields: They can disrupt your hormone level as well. Your pineal gland which secreates melatonin and serotonin are affected the most. These electromagnetic waves are often found in digital alarm clocks, cell phones, tablets and many other electrical devices.
Solution: Keep these devices away as far as possible. At least 5 feet away, so that you can get to these devices when needed, at the same time , them not affecting your sleep.
3) Cool, Not Cold: Regardless of how hot it gets outside or how cold it gets outside, keep your room temperature between 60* to 70* for optimum quality of sleep. Melatonin and temperature are sensitively collaborated.
Solution: Keep the heating temperature up to 70* in winter and make sure not to blow your a/c continuously in the summer. Researcher have concluded that over air-conditioning can cause serious amount of weight gain.
What do you prefer while sleeping?
4) Routine: Establish a time. Try to sleep at the same time every night and wake up at same time every day.Getting more sleep is as damaging as not getting enough. So try getting anywhere from between 7 to 9 hours of sleep. This will also attain your body as to start feelings sleepy every night at around the same time.
5) Clothing: I like to sleep cloth less for most part, because it is comfortable at its best. But someone might have obligations to obey too. So try slipping into lose clothes before sleeping. Trust me its a whole different experience.
6) Sex And Sleeping: Use your bed for just two of these routine, sleep and sex. Its funny now a days how we use bed for just about anything. TV's, work, computer, reading, writing etc. It like practically living in the room as if it where the only territory available. Start using the bed just for sex and sleep as your body starts to associate bed with other activities you do on bed rather than its main objective, of falling sleep.
7 To 9: There is no specific number of how much sleep you need to get. But it is always recommended to get at least 6 hours of sleep while aim to get between 7 to 9 hours of sleep. Why? Well we have different stages of sleep. NREM and REM. NREM includes stage 1, stage 2, stage 3, stage 4. Stage 4 is where most things happen. Your body produces hormones at this stage. All the hormones such as estrogen, growth hormone, testosterone and others are produce in this stage. We ascend from stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 to stage 4 and descend back to stage 3 stage 2 and then into REM sleep. This whole cycle takes about 90 minutes . And quite essential to get through at least 3 to 4 cycle. That is why it is recommended to get 7 to 9 hours of sleep.
10, 11, 12
Investment: Invest in a comfortable mattress that you prefer. Don't be stingy when buying a mattress. Buy a real good one .Don't be hesitant to spend money.It is a matter of sleep. Most soothing feeling on this earth. The degree of firmness and softness you feel comfortable with, may change depending on your age and your work load in day.
Avoid Napping: Taking a nap in middle of a day is good indication that your not getting enough sleep. Avoid taking a nap as it creates a whole cycle of napping and not being able to fall asleep at night. Then not getting enough sleep and taking a nap at day time. See? The cycle continues...
Meditation/ Deep Breathing: Before you fall asleep try taking deep breaths for about 5 minutes while sitting on your bed. This is going to calm your body down as well as release high level of serotonin and melatonin. It also reduces or eliminates body tension and anxiety.
Now, you may agree or disagree with me on this matter, but these environmental factors affect one's sleep. There are many more thing to keep in mind like not turning lights of the bathroom when you wake up in middle of the night, not drinking to much liquid two hours before going to bed, avoiding caffeine after 4 p.m in afternoon or avoiding high sugar and simple carbohydrates.
Regardless to say i have implemented these changes and have worked for me. Try it out for 1 month and let me know for sure.
if you have any suggestions please feel free to leave a comment, always open to suggestions.