- Diet & Weight Loss
What is Detoxification?How Often and Why to Detoxify?
Why do we need to Detoxify?
Are you the one, who has the tendency to overindulge during festivals, weddings, or any kind of parties?
Have you been eating a lot of junk food recently?
Have you been feeling bloated, sluggish, lethargic, heavier, or sleep deprived?
Do you suffer from frequent mild headaches or skin problems?
Do you have problem in losing weight?
Then, this article is just right for you. Your body seems to be telling you,-----
'GIVE ME A BREAK!’
Sometime, or the other, we all tend to overeat, or eat the wrong kind of food. Normally the food, which we love to eat, does lead us to the above mentioned symptoms.
What is Detoxification?
- Detoxification is a cleaning up process, which works towards eliminating toxic materials from our body. Our body has its own natural cleaning up system.
- Detoxification is a process, which has been practised since time immemorial, and has special method mentioned in Ayurveda science.
- Detoxification is all about removing and eliminating toxic materials from the body, and giving the body the much needed rest. Detoxification involves eating healthy food of nutritional value to rejuvenate, so that you feel energised, and your immune system becomes stronger.
- Detoxification means removing impurities from blood, liver, lungs, intestines, skin by means of urinating, sweating etc.
- A Detox diet is a dietary plan, where the follower has to avoid certain foods, and consume certain food items, so that the blood, and the vital organs naturally cleanse themselves by the biological process.
- Our body becomes a storehouse of excessive fat, carbohydrates, the harmful components of processed food, alcohol etc., after overindulgence of food. A detox diet clears up the acid accumulation and inflammation, if any from our body.
- Detoxify is essential for our body, from time to time.
Manage Your Weight By Detoxifying--How To Detoxify?
Many ways to detoxify, have been suggested by health experts. One must however fully understand ones system, and the limitations, before embarking upon a Detox plan. The best person to advise is the doctor, or an expert nutritionist. Because the process has to be followed slowly, and sensibly, to achieve the maximum benefits.
Eliminate All Toxins:
The purpose is to get rid of toxins created by Alcohol, Cigarettes, Coffee, Refined Sugar and Salt etc. Eliminate them altogether, or gradually.
If the mind is stressful, the body will release stressful hormones, which do not in any way, help in achieving good health. These stress hormones lead to adrenal rush, which in turn leads to large amount of toxins, thus slowing down the detoxification process.
One must learn, how to avoid stress, and it can be done so by practising Yoga and Meditation.Yoga not only relaxes the body, it also relaxes the mind. Any physical activity, or work out, for at least 30 minutes to one hour, is helpful in this regard.
How Does The Detox Plan Work:
1. The detox plan gives rest to the body, especially the internal organs, and this can be done by means of fasting,
2. Stimulates the liver to drive away the toxins, so that they are eliminated from the system by skin, kidneys, intestines, and also improves the circulation of blood.
The body has an organised cleaning up system, and all this happens naturally.
3. Eating healthy food is important to refuel, re-energize, and rejuvenate.
How to detox your body, Source: YouTube
Do you follow Periodical Detoxification Diet Plans?
What are the Different Types of Detox Plans?
Different types of Detox diets have been suggested by health experts. Choose the one which suits you the best.
Some nutritionists suggest a 7 day detox plan, while others suggest 3 to 4 days plan, depending upon individual needs.
Some even suggest 30 days detox plans.
♣ The lemonade diet:
For three whole days, one has to sip lemon juice, or lemon tea.
This leads to removal of processed fats from the system, and even makes you to lose weight. The problem of bloating is also solved by this diet.
♣ All vegetable and fruits diet:
Eating raw and unprocessed food, whole, and fresh fruits, in small portions for a period of 7 days.
Fresh fruit, vegetable juices, and barley water can also be taken.
Choose from watermelon, carrots, cucumber, papaya, beetroot, cabbage, broccoli, sprout salad, flax seed, and so on.
The purpose is to include lot of fibre to ease the cleaning up process.
♣ Water diet:
Many people go for a water diet for eliminating toxins from the body. But it’s difficult to sustain the plan.
This is as good as fasting, and should be followed only under medical supervision.
7 Days Effective Detox Plan:
This is an easy detox plan to follow and can be followed for 5 to 7 days. After the plan is over, one should continue to eat sensibly, which means to avoid the wrong foods and eat the right ones.
- On awakening-
One glass of lemon juice, or lemon tea.
One scrambled egg, one small portion of non starchy vegetable, and barley water.
- At mid morning, which is around 11: 00 a.m.
One whole fruit, such as an apple, or an orange.
One piece fish, non shelled type, boiled, or grilled.
For vegetarians one slab home made paneer, or cottage cheese. A bowl of salad made with fresh fruits, vegetables, and a glass of barley water.
- Tea time-
One whole fruit, and green tea, or lemon tea or mint tea.
Same as lunch.
How often detox diet should be followed?
Normally, health experts suggest detox diets should be followed, twice or thrice a year. But it’s wise to consult the doctor, before starting any plan, as individual needs may differ.
There is flexibility in the detox plan, and one can choose alternative food item, if the mentioned food is not available.
These detox plans have been tried, tested, and found to be effective. Many Ayurvedic doctors, or Naturopathy clinics ask their customers to follow these detox plans periodically, in order to maintain sound mind, and body.
Important to include in the detox plan:
- Will power, Self restraint, and lot of Patience,
- 10-12 Glasses of water, Exercise for at least 30 minutes, and Eight hours of sleep as part of your detox plan.
Disclaimer, and a word of Caution:
A detoxification program is generally safe, but should not be followed by ----
and people suffering from any chronic ailments.
In all cases, consulting with your family physician, or nutrition expert is the right, and safe thing to do.
Health is wealth--Take Care!
References for further reading:
How often should you Detoxify?—https://www.bestowbeauty.com/25/how-often-should-i-detox/
How often should I Detoxify?—http://www.naturalwellness.com/nwupdate/how-often-should-i-detox/
Detox diets by Web MD—-https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-cleansing-body#1
10 Best common detox foods, source: YouTube
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan