How To Fail... Successfully
Failure. We all experience it at some point, and that experience can be devastating. All of us have dreams and aspirations, but successfully reaching those goals always takes some measure of risk. If our trying results in failure it can become difficult to pick ourselves up and try again. Even if we are willing to try again, it is often filled with self doubt, increased fear of failing, and less than 100% effort.
The fact is, without failure success loses its value. Think about it. If you succeeded in everything you ever did the very first time you did it, then just how satisfying would success be after a while? Failure is inevitable consequence of trying, but the good news success is also. Instead of dwelling on your failures and allowing them to keep you from the future successes that trying will undoubtedly bring, view your failures as opportunities. Opportunities to learn from mistakes, grow from criticisms, and accept our shortcomings. We are not perfect. Some things we just will not be good at. These type of failures are sometimes necessary to help guide us towards what we are good at and to help us appreciate those talents when we find them.
Here are a few tips to help you move through failure with easy and to get to the other side where ultimate success is waiting.
- Change your point of view. Stop looking at failure as a negative. Don’t beat yourself up, call yourself names, or let it affect your self esteem. Instead view failure as another step toward success.
- Don’t view yourself as a “failure.” Think of the most successful person you know. Are they a failure? Of course not, but I guarantee they have failed at something at some time. By labeling yourself a failure you close the door to success.
- Acknowledge what you’ve learned. Every failure teaches you something. Take a little time to reflect on what you have learned. Use that knowledge plan your next attempt. Learn from your mistakes so that you will not repeat them.
- Don’t give up. If it is something you really believe in and you really want to do then don’t let failure stand in your way. Instead, polish your skills and when you are ready try again. Most success stories are stories in failure with a happy ending.
- Be patient. Success is rarely instantaneous. Achieving your goals will take time and patience.