How To Get Rid Of A Double Chin Fast and Easy
A double chin refers to a layer of fat tissue which occurs in the region just under the lower jaw. It is usually caused due to buildup of increased fat in the area because of obesity. Research also indicates that double chin may have hereditary causes and tends to run in families. It may also be noted that facial skin usually tends to sag with an increase in age, which eventually results in the development of a double chin. It is easier to get rid of a double chin that is caused due to increase in weight.
Getting rid of a double chin
There are 2 different methods which can be used to get rid of a double chin, i.e., invasive and non-invasive approaches. The latter involves exercising and changes in diet, while the former includes surgery. Both the procedures are discussed below in detail.
The non-invasive approach
1. A healthy diet: People generally put on weight after the consumption of unhealthy foods that encourage the storage of fat below the skin. Also, the metabolic processes have a tendency to slow down due to aging, causing decreased quantities of fat to be burned. Such unburned fat accumulates below the surface of the skin in different areas of the body, such as the face.Hence, a double chin can be easily rectified by decreasing the intake of calories.
The diet should contain lowered amounts of carbohydrates, sugars, and fats, and additional quantities of proteins, vegetables, and fresh fruits. You also need to avoid processed and junk food, sweetened drinks and desserts, oily and fried foods, sweets, and foods with high sodium content. If possible, always go for low-fat versions of all the products that you may consume. The inclusion of foods that aid metabolism can also help in losing fat and excess weight.Intake of complex carbs, herbal teas, and little amounts of fish oil, olive oil, and other such good fats can also better your health and result in loss of fat.Drink lots of water every day and keep the body hydrated. Lower the daily fat intake and thus ensure that you do not offer additional fat to the body. It will help prevent the buildup of fat under the chin.
2. Exercises: In addition to changes in diet,daily/regular exercises are also necessary for getting rid of a double chin. Regularly engage in simple but correct exercises that help in burning fat. You will only get the desired results if the calories burned is greater than the calories consumed. You can go for varied cardiovascular exercises such as jogging, walking, swimming, skipping, and cycling. It will help you burn additional calories.
Double chin workouts are ideal for decreasing chin fat. You may follow the below listed “neck exercises” for getting rid of a double chin:
- Keep the head held high and jut the jaw out. You may maintain this position several times in a day for several minutes to remove the chin fat.
- Tilt the head back and then take the chin downwards towards the neck. You may perform this exercise when standing or sitting, at any time of the day. You may do as many repetitions as you desire.
- Keep the shoulders and the upper body in a still position. Then push out the chin and hold the position for about fifteen seconds. Do at least ten repetitions.
- Sit straight and gradually tilt the head backwards. Maintain the stance for about 10 seconds. Do at least 10 repetitions. It will stretch out the chin muscles and aid in tightening the skin.
The below listed exercises directly work towards removal of the double chin:
- Lie on a mat with your back pressed against it. The hands should be placed straight against the sides of the body. Now push the chin towards the chest. Maintain the posture for 3 to 4 seconds. Then slowly take you head back. Repeat the exercise about ten to fifteen times.
- Sit upright and stretch out the tongue. It will stretch out the different muscles present in the face and mouth and thus help in prevention of a sagging chin. Perform ten to fifteen repetitions.
- Lie flat on a bed and let the head hang from the border. Now slowly lift the head up so that it is level with the rest of the body. Maintain the position for about 15 seconds and then slowly lower the head back to its original position. Repeat the exercise at least five times a day.
- Keep the mouth closed and lift up the upper lip. Maintain the position for 10 to 15 seconds. This exercise stretches out the jaw muscles and helps in getting rid of the fat present in the area
- Sit on an armless chair with a straight back. Place your arms against the sides of the body. Tilt you head back as far as possible. Now open and close the mouth several times. Whenever you perform the jaw movements, you will feel stretching of the neck muscles. This aids in reduction of fat from the area.
- Use of a sugar-free chewing gum is also a great option for elimination of a double chin
The invasive approach: Surgery
If you are unable to get rid of a double chin via exercises or diet changes, then you may avail of varied surgical procedures such as liposuction, laser surgery, or neck lift surgery.
- Liposuction is a type of cosmetic surgery which involves the use of different surgical devices to drain out the fat. The complete procedure is carried out in about an hour. The recovery period lasts for approximately a week. There may be minor bruise scars, but they are almost invisible.
- Laser surgery involves the removal of excess fat from the chin and tightening of the facial skin via application of laser. It does not leave scars and recovery time is 4 to 5 days.
- In neck lift surgery, the excess fat from neck is removed and the surrounding muscles are tightened. It can result in some unsightly scars.