How To Keep Your Infant from Catching the Flu
Worship The Sun During The Fall and Winter
Influenza comes around in a cyclical pattern, usually as the days grow shorter and the sun does not shine as many hours as summer or spring. Our children don't spend a lot of time outdoors riding bicycles or playing in the sandbox. And, parents even reduce the number of hours taking little infants out in the stroller to breath the fresh air and take in the sunlight.
Sunshine A Vital Factor For Good Health
Our body makes vitamin D through a chemical and hormonal process with sunlight to build the immune system. Take special effort to go outside 20-30 minutes a day or longer. If the temperature drops, we bundle up baby and they don't get sun exposure. Think about sitting in a sunny window, rocking the baby and having some close bonding time while getting the sun rays.
The vitamin D dampens the body’s inflammatory response to infection, which leads to faster recovery and less damage to lungs. Make sure if you select a supplement it is vitamin D3.
- PubMed study on Epidemic Influenza and Vitamin D Vitamin D dramatically stimulates the expression of potent anti-microbial peptides, which exist in neutrophils, monocytes, natural killer cells, and in epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract where they play a major role in protecting the lung from infection
Breast Feed Babies
Breast Fed Babies receive their immunity from mother's milk. Therefore, if at all possible, provide this nourishment, instead of bottled formula.
As a mother, whatever you take in to your body will be received as nutrition for your growing infant. If you prepare healing soups with immune boosting herbs like garlic, onion, astragalus, basil and rosemary among others, then this warms your soul and provides immune boosting nutrition to the baby.
Keep dairy and meat products to a minimum as they stress the body, the bones, and produce an acid pH in the body. Rather, enjoy the benefits of green vegetables for a good portion of protein, a moderate amount of nuts with omega-3 oils, seeds to get your vitamins and fibrous fruits to keep the digestion flowing.
As a breast feeding mother, you will feel more energetic by drinking lots of fluids and will have a good supply of milk. Mother tincture of alfalfa will also help milk production. If its good enough for the cows, its good enough for us, too.
- PubMed Breast Feeding and Infection Protection Breast feeding during the first 13 weeks of life confers protection against gastrointestinal illness that persists beyond the period of breast feeding itself. This good news means that the gut has developed an immune response, which effects the total health and all organs of the infant.
- Breastfeeding Longer Offers Better Immunity A study asked parents of 2,277 children between 6 and 24 months questions about health and illness resistance. Babies fed only breast milk for the longest span of time — 6 months or more — were shown to have lower rates of pneumonia and ear infections.
The world's biorhythm requires rest and dormancy during autumn and winter. When you feel the change in the air and the harvest full moon, we know it is time to take more chores indoors and get more sleep than in the active months of the year.
Make a habit of taking a nap when your little one takes his or hers. Leave the dishes for later, because they will be waiting no matter what happens. This will lessen your stress factor, an excellent way to boost your immune system and your child's.
Remaining calm, feeling that everything has its time and place will create an environment that reduces illness of all kinds. A child can 'feel' when pressures of the day cause anxiety and panic in people who are there to provide a feeling of security. By allowing your day to pass without too many things getting on your nerves, the baby will be less uptight and tense. The immune system will be less hyper vigilant to any fearful expression.
Get educated and read ALL the news about vaccines. I advise new mothers or even parents with many kids to start finding out the facts and statistics about the effectiveness of the annual flu shot. Who made it? You will want to read the box insert for a date. You will want to know if it was kept refrigerated. You will want to know whether your child gets a single dose or one of a multiple dose, since children receiving the last few doses in a bottle can have consequences from possible contamination or irregular amount of ingredients.
Want to learn more about vaccines? Watch the video listing all the ingredients and begin to question the wisdom of injecting that into the body. Anyone's body! And, remember your infant has not yet developed a strong immune system to withstand outside forces.
Think about the way God made the world and whether He would approve of by passing His natural system of obtaining immunity. There must be a reason we contract disease through contact with our mucus membranes and why our skin functions as our best protection. A puncture wound hurts more than just our nervous system, especially if a foreign agent gets into the bloodstream or muscle tissues and cells.
Lawrence Palevsky, MD, discusses the contents of vaccines and the lack of knowledge on the lasting impact of injecting these contents into the body. What's in the seasonal and swine flu vaccines?
- Egg proteins: including avian contaminant viruses
- Gelatin: known to cause allergic reactions and anaphylaxis are usually associated with sensitivity to egg or gelatin
- Polysorbate 80 (Tween80™): can cause severe allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis
- Formaldehyde: known carcinogen
- Triton X100: a strong detergent
- Sucrose: table sugar
- Resin: known to cause allergic reactions
- Gentamycin: an antibiotic
- Thimerosal: mercury is still in multidose vials
After dozens of children showed up in Australian hospitals with convulsions, vomiting and seizures following seasonal flu vaccines, the Australian government took the unprecedented step of banning the flu vaccine for children there.
Cleanliness versus Obsession
Sanitation has been one of the driving forces behind a reduction in disease. Wash little hands that touch everything. Wash toys when kids play. Wash teething rings. Washing your own hands before eating, feeding, handling foods, and after touching shopping carts and other items that have potential germs. Use common sense.
- Out of the three types (A, B, C) of influenza viruses, type A strains have the most severe symptoms. The World Health Organization may label a contagious disease an epidemic or pandemic when it reaches certain proportions. The past two announcements of pandemic spread of influenza were all 'duds' meaning that they were not so virulent and did not reach actual epidemic proportions. Use critical thinking and determine if the disease is actual or imaginary based on messages of fear.
- Check the CDC website for weekly updates on Influenza. The total number of influenza infections have run into the hundreds, which is not very many across the entire United States, considering that tuberculosis runs into the billions of cases. Allow the body to boost the system through the use of a natural fever to fight infection.
Obsessive behavior about washing constantly and a fearful attitude may raise both your stress level and the infant's anxiety. Be moderate on this account.
Using antibacterial soap will breed more resistant germs, bacteria, viral agents. Therefore, use regular soap, take a minute to wash and dry thoroughly. Instructional videos are available.
A little dirt may be good for you. We come into the world from dust and go to dust. In fact, if we don't have some dirt in our system we will be like the bubble boy who could not adjust to the outside environment.
To make this point even more strenuously, science is just learning these lessons. Check out the story on inserting fecal matter into the gut to re-establish good digestive flora. This new treatment cured a young person of C. difficile colitis disease.
Our digestive system handles many functions besides absorption of nutrients, processing of waste material and connecting to our brain function. Our metabolism center affects many other organ systems.
Homeopathy and Influenza
I have written extensively about using homeopathic remedies to combat flu symptoms. The same holds true for infants and babies. They will respond very quickly to a well chosen remedy. They have not had a life time of drugs, traumas, illnesses and stresses to their immune system. A few doses of homeopathic remedies, given either directly into the baby's mouth by water drop doses or via the milk when the mother takes the remedy will go a long way to boosting the immune system.
ACONITE - The first remedy given for coughs, colds that come on after a change of weather and when caught out in a cold wind.
GELSEMIUM - For anxious, trembling and even anticipation of catching the flu. Gelsemium calms the nerves and works rapidly
NUX VOMICA - Over sensitive, constipation, irritable, complaining, running discharge during the day and stuffy at night.
ARSENICUM ALBUM - Anxious, restless, wanting company, wanting only small sips to drink, diarrhea
EUPATORIUM - Bone pains.
CHINA - Complete exhaustion and weakness
A Short Story
One story illustrates how quickly homeopathy works for influenza symptoms when the selected remedy matches the patient's symptoms. Influenza can spread quickly throughout family members, a school or a community. So, if you have an infant at home, you can observe the kinds of symptoms in the other members of the household.
This person relates that he had a very dry throat that was sore where the palate meets the throat with itchiness of the palate especially at night/morning. He developed a severe nose cold with sinus kinds of pain at the root of nose and around the eyes, etc. He had a clear runny during the day, but stuffed at night and a slight headache. As the cold progressed, digestive rumbling and gas after eating became uncomfortable. After one dose of Nux vomica 30C, he was feeling much better, but the energy of that potency did not last long. The next dose was a 200C potency level and immediate relief from painful symptoms and discharge resulted.
Keep A Journal
Since an infant cannot speak, the parents must be very observant for fever and responsiveness the environmental factors, such as sweating, desiring covers, kicking them off, screaming, crying pitifully, inability to swallow and nurse due to congestion. Record the changes you notice, whether the symptoms come on quickly or slowly over a number of days. As a parent, you will be exhausted and strained from late nights caring for baby. Your thinking can get fuzzy. Write it down and that way you will remember more precisely the symptoms to tell your health care provider.
Each year homeopaths around the world gather information about the complex of disease symptoms to formulate which of the thousands of remedies work best for that season. Check in with the homeopathic community.
Oscillococcinum and Influenzinum act like prophylactic remedies against each flu season. These over the counter remedies have no side effects. It is best not to repeat remedies unnecessarily. Some practitioners recommend taking the Oscillo once a week or bi-monthly during the flu season.
About the Author
Debby Bruck believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future and provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach.
Debby hosts a BlogTalkRadio Show each week. One with Dr Aadil, cardiologist, where you may call in your health questions. Another, with Alan Phillips, attorney-at-law, who will answer your legal questions regarding vaccine waivers.
Debby hosts a live stream video program each Monday on the Health Inn Show. She has many expert guests talk about a variety of subjects.
Follow Debby on Twitter. All Hubpage blogs written by Debby Bruck are for informational purposes only. Please contact your healthcare professional.
If you've found this article helpful remember to:
- Rate it up ↑↑
- Share it with your networks
- Leave a comment or question
Disclaimer: This Information is for Educational Purposes Only
- The information on this blogsite is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical or legal advice. As with any important medical or legal matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider and/or knowledgeable attorney concerning your specific health & vaccine exemption or waiver concerns.
- No attorney-client relationship or doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient or an attorney-client relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Debby Bruck
- Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Debby Bruck assumes no liability for the same.
- Debby Bruck has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
- Always check with your health care provider