- Mental Health
How To Maintain Mental Fitness And Optimum Memory Performance In Your 60's,70's,80's And Even 90's.
Memory and Concentration
Which sleep order do you suffer from?
If you are like me, you are one of those persons who have always thought about staying fit. But when you and I think about fitness the first thing comes in mind is the physical fitness.Yes even I am guilty of just considering physical fitness as oppose to taking mental fitness into consideration.
One of the reason we now need to think about mental fitness is because of human life expectancy. Today human's live much longer than compared in 1900's where average life expectancy was lower than 50.
Taking into consideration that you need mental fitness as well as physical fitness to live through those extra years, in current population about 3 million patients suffers from diseases associated with memory and mental processing.
Dementia would be one of those diseases.Today more people are suffering with dementia that ever before. Even though medical science has made great advances in almost all hemispheres, dementia is one of those diseases that are almost hard to impossible to cure.
Talking about mental fitness it always a good idea to start strategies, about how to improve your mental processing as well as the most important factor memory.
Physical fitness and mental fitness go hand in hand to begin with.
So here are some suggestions to how to preserve and boost your memory.
Which way of managing stress works for you?
Step 1 and 2
1) A good night sleep- to people who like sleeping, just like me, there is good news. If your getting good night sleep your likely to have your brain running at optimum memory level. Researchers suggests on getting between 7 to 9 hours of sleep daily. But perhaps they’re something more to sleep, when it comes to question of mental fitness. Now, everyone has heard one of those saying “ Quality trumps quantity”. Well, yes and in this case its quite essential.
People who suffer from sleep apnea, can sleep up to 12 hours per night but still feel tired and unrested in morning. Same applies to people who suffer from insomnia, people suffering from insomnia are prone to waking up in midst of night and then not be able to fall asleep again. Well, here some bad news for people wit insomnia. Insomnia gets more common with age.
2) Maintain a healthy diet- now individuals who work out are familiar with this one than anyone else. Eat nutritious diet, which consists of fruits and veggies, which give you the vitamins and amino acids. Which help against the age related diseases. Healthy fats and carbs from fish, nuts, dairy products and whole grains are essential as well. And try staying away from saturated fats and trans fats often found in commercial products. This will keep your heart healthy at the same time avoid blocking your arteries.
One more thing, avoid excess calories, to maintain normal weight. Researchers have found that people who suffer from obesity are more prone to both mental disease and physical disabilities.
- How To Increase Your Testosterone Naturally
Proven ways to increase testosterone naturally in men and women.
- How To Create An Ideal Environment for sleeping.
Little help for people who suffer from sleep related disorders
Some more steps to help you with better mental process
3) Exercise-As I mentioned before, physical and mental fitness go hand in hand. A research conducted at Oxford university found out that individuals who engaged in 4 to 5 days a week of vigorous exercise tended to stay mentally sharp in their 70’s 80’s and 90’s. The also found these individuals were at lower risk of catching disease like dementia.
Exercising helps memory in many ways, namely,
- Its promotes health of your lungs, resulting in higher levels of oxygen, which is then transported to your brains and your muscles.
- Exercise promotes production of HGH. Human Growth Hormone is essential hormone for many reasons, its help in advancement of shiner and firmer skin, it also helps with repair process and age related determinants, as helps in production of hormones like testosterone, helps you to feel more energetic and much more.
- Keeps your joints and bones healthy, contributed by HGH and testosterone.
- Helps promote levels of testosterone.
- Helps reduce risk of suffering from diseases like diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and stroke.
4) Don’t smoke- a major one; smokers perform horribly when compared to no- smokers in study of memory and cognitive functions. Smoking increases chances of a stroke, one more cause of mental impairment. It’s not clear yet if smoking directly affects the mental process but if you smoke, it pays to quit smoking.
People who stop smoking have been known to have a lesser amount of cognitive decline.
5) Keep learning- Remember when you were in school and had to read all those books and papers to pass the test. Well same logic applies over here. Research suggests that learning is strongly correlated with good mental functioning. It may be due to the fact that learning helps to jog our memory and keep it active.
Challenging your brain with crossword puzzle, reading, participating in a class or group discussion, playing chess etc., are some of the activates you could start indulging in to have a stronger mental processing.
6) Protect your brain- One of the leading cause of memory impairment and a major factor for developing dementia in future is head trauma. You can protect your self by taking necessary precautions before getting involved in any kind of sport or high-speed activities.
7) Avoid Toxins- Try inhaling as little toxins as possible. Now some people will say how can I protect myself from toxins produce by other. Well the answer to that is you can’t. But there are toxins in your house, bathroom and cars as well. Charity starts at home. So began with servicing you cars furnace to minimize carbon monoxide emission. Avoid scrapping of old paints. Read the label before using pesticide or any kind of solvent to be on a safer side.
8) Manage stress- Being under sustained stress for long period of time can affect the chemistry in brain and start damaging your hippocampus. Since you cannot control every stressful event in your life try controlling your reactions to them.
Try meditating atleast 15 minutes everyday. Meditation will calm your mind and body and help you relax at same time eliminating harmful toxins from your body.
By following these steps your guaranteed to have a better mental processing as well as healthier body and mind. Since you might not be able to follow all the 8 steps at 1 time so try implementing them step by step and before you know they will become your routine.
If you have any suggestion or question please feel free to leave a comment. Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank You !