- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
How to Protect Kids and Elderly from Heat Stroke, Exhaustion, Dehydration : Easy Home Remedies
Summer Season: How To Beat The Heat!
© Chitrangada Sharan May, 2014
All Rights Reserved.
- In India the schools are closed for two months for Summer vacations and I really feel thankful for that.
- Children and the elderly are quite vulnerable to the intense Summer heat. As such the more time they stay indoors during this hot season, the better.
- As the mercury soars high each day in the hot Summer season , adequate steps must be taken to prepare for heat related emergencies.
- Dehydration, heat cramps, exhaustion due to heat, heat stroke, excessive sweating are some of the health related issues for which we must be properly equipped with special attention to the children and elderly..
10 Tips: How to protect yourself from heat related issues!
There are many easy and simple home solutions to beat the heat. Only important thing is to plan before. But in spite of all protection, if one does get affected, then one should not delay in getting medical help.
1. Drink cool non alcoholic beverages. Alcoholic and caffeinated beverages will leave you dehydrated. Therefore avoid this.
2. Drinking plain water instead will keep you hydrated. Even if you are not thirsty, you must drink water throughout the day.
3. A glass of lime water with a pinch of salt and a teaspoonful of sugar is the best remedy, if you are feeling dehydrated.
4. Avoid going out in the Sun during peak hours, that is from 11:00 in the morning till 4:00 in the evening, unless it is very urgent.
5. If is necessary to step out, drink plenty of water and also carry water bottle or lemonade with you.
6. More of fluids and less of oily, spicy and heavy foods should be the mantra for the hot season.
7. Try having foods, which have high water content such as Watermelon, Muskmelon, Cucumber, Coconut water, Pineapple and other fruits and vegetables that have plenty of water content..
8. Wear loose, light weight, light coloured, preferably cotton clothes.
9. Wear Sunglasses to protect eyes, hats and umbrella when stepping out.
10. Use Sun screens for your face and hands.
Common Heat Related Illnesses, symptoms and remedies
- Heat Cramps:
Heat cramps may occur if there is excessive physical exertion in the summer heat. This may result in electrolyte imbalance in our body.
The cramps are generally felt in calf muscles, abdomen and sometimes in thighs and foot too.
Drinking plenty of water or fluids really helps to bring relief from these symptoms.
- Heat exhaustion:
This can be caused due to excessive water or fluid loss.
Sweating leads to loss of salt and important minerals from our body.
This may lead to lowering of blood pressure, rapid pulse rate, headaches etc.
Again fluids and plenty of it, is the remedy and moving to a cooler room and taking rest helps to relieve this condition.
- Heat stroke:
This is a serious condition and requires immediate medical attention.
Its advisable not to just try home remedies, if the heat stroke has already happened and the affected person must be hospitalized.
The symptoms can be clearly identified with fever, redness on face and skin, hot and dry skin with no perspiration and high pulse rate.
Which is your favorite season?
Home Remedies or Grandma's Tips For Minor Heat Illnesses!
There are some simple home remedies, straight from your kitchen to protect heat related emergencies.
Even if you do not suffer from heat stroke having these will protect you from getting a heat stroke.
- Powder roasted Black gram, mix one teaspoonful with a glass of water and a pinch of salt. This is very effective if taken prior to stepping out in the Sun.
- Roast a raw mango or you may also boil it.
- Take out the pulp and mix with a glass of plain water, a teaspoonful of sugar and a pinch of salt.
- You may also add roasted cumin seed powder and black salt for flavor. Mix it thoroughly preferably in a mixer and drink twice a day.
- A glass of water with juice of a lemon, a teaspoonful of sugar and a pinch of salt, can be taken three to four times a day to prevent heat related health issues.
- Eating raw onions during summer season prevents heat strokes.
Summer is an enjoyable season, but care must be taken to avoid excessive heat and heat related illnesses.
© Chitrangada Sharan 5th May, 2014
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Home remedies for heat stroke, source: You tube
What a cool video to watch especially in Summer season: you tube
Other useful hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- How To Detoxify Naturally: 7 Days Effective Detox Di...
Do you have a tendency to overindulge? Have you been feeling sluggish, bloated, sleep deprived, difficulty in losing weight? You might need a Detox Diet Plan. It can help you to manage weight as well
- How To Take Care Of Your Precious Eyes with Simple Y...
Can you imagine, what the world would be without the eyes? Eyes are the most precious of all body parts and perhaps the most neglected part. So, how do we take care of our most precious possession?
- Interesting Facts About Delicious Indian Mangoes Wit...
The fragrance of the ripe mangoes is in the air. Lets create some magic with incredible mangoes; some delicious n simple recipes. Loaded with valuable nutrients, it has religious significance as well.
- Winter Care: Tips For Common Health Problems And Ski...
Who doesn't love the warm, winter Sun. Here are some tips to deal with dry skin, chapped lips, cracked heels, cold and cough problems. One must eat right and exercise well to keep these problems away
- How To Keep The Skin Healthy, Toned, Flawless, Wrink...
Want to get compliments for your radiant, youthful skin! As we age, our skin looses moisture. To maintain elasticity of skin adopt regular skincare methods, facial massage and exercises for that glow.
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan