10 Easy, Home Remedies, to Protect the Children and the Elderly, From Heat Stroke, Exhaustion and Dehydration
Summer Season: How To Beat The Heat?
In India, all the schools are closed for two months, during the Summer vacations. The summer season is harsh in India and it becomes necessary to do so, in order to prevent the children, from heat related illnesses.
Children, and the elderly are quite vulnerable, to the intense Summer heat. As such, the more time, they stay indoors, during this hot season, the better it is for their health.
As the mercury soars high each day, in the hot Summer season, adequate steps must be taken, in order to prepare for heat related emergencies.
Dehydration, heat cramps, exhaustion due to heat, heat stroke, excessive sweating, are some of the health related issues, for which we must be properly equipped, with special attention to the children and the elderly..
10 Easy to follow and useful tips, to protect yourself from heat related issues!
There are many easy and simple home solutions to beat the heat. The only important thing, is to plan beforehand. But in spite of all the protection, if one does get affected by the intense heat, then one should not delay in getting medical help.
- Drink cool, non alcoholic beverages. Alcoholic and caffeinated beverages, will leave you dehydrated. Therefore, it’s advisable to avoid this.
- Drinking plain water instead, will keep you hydrated. Even if you are not thirsty, you must drink water throughout the day.
- A glass of lime water, with a pinch of salt, and a teaspoonful of sugar, is the best remedy, if you are feeling dehydrated. This can also be called as the first aid, if the person has been affected by heat stroke.
- Avoid going out in the Sun, during peak hours, that is from 11:00 in the morning, till 4:00 in the evening, unless it is very urgent.
- If is necessary to step out, it’s advisable to drink plenty of water, and also carry water bottle, or lemonade with you.
- More of fluids, and less of oily, spicy and heavy foods, should be the mantra, for the hot season.
- Try having foods, which have high water content, such as Watermelon, Muskmelon, Cucumber, Coconut water, Pineapple and other fruits and vegetables, which have plenty of water content.
- Prefer wearing, loose, light weight, light coloured, preferably cotton clothes.
- Wear Sunglasses to protect eyes, hats and umbrella, when stepping out.
- Use Sun screens, for the face and the hands.
Common heat related illnesses, symptoms and their home remedies
- Heat Cramps:
Heat cramps may occur, if there is excessive physical exertion in the summer heat. This may result in electrolyte imbalance, in our body.
The cramps are generally felt in the calf muscles, the abdomen, and sometimes in the thighs and foot too. Drinking plenty of water or fluids really helps to bring relief from these symptoms.
- Heat exhaustion:
This can be caused, due to excessive water or fluid loss. Sweating leads to the loss of salt, and important minerals from our body. This may lead to lowering of the blood pressure, rapid pulse rate, headaches etc.
Again fluids and plenty of it, is the remedy, and moving to a cooler room, and taking rest helps to relieve this condition.
- Heat stroke:
This is a serious condition, and requires immediate medical attention. It’s advisable, not to just try home remedies, if the heat stroke has already happened, and the affected person must be hospitalized.
The symptoms can be clearly identified with fever, redness on the face and the skin, hot and dry skin, with no perspiration, and high pulse rate.
Home remedies or the Grandma’s tips, for minor heat related illnesses
There are some simple home remedies, straight from your kitchen, to protect the heat related emergencies.
Even if you do not suffer from heat stroke, having these regularly, during the summer season, will protect you from getting a heat stroke.
- Mix one teaspoonful of, roasted and powdered black gram, in a glass of water, with a pinch of salt. This is very effective, if taken prior to stepping out in the Sun.
- Roast a raw mango, or you may also boil it. Take out the pulp, and mix it with a glass of plain water, a teaspoonful of sugar, and a pinch of salt. You may also add roasted cumin seed powder, and black salt for flavour. Mix everything thoroughly, preferably in a mixer, and drink twice a day.
- A glass of water, with juice of a lemon, a teaspoonful of sugar, and a pinch of salt, can be taken, three to four times a day, to prevent any heat related health issues.
- Eating raw onions, during the summer season, prevents heat strokes.
- Keep yourself hydrated, by taking lot of fluids. Eat those fruits and vegetables, which have a high quantity of water. Examples are, cucumber, water melon, musk melon, lime, pomegranate, oranges, green or yellow pumpkin, sugarcane juice etc.
Summer is an enjoyable season, but care must be taken to avoid excessive heat and heat related illnesses.
Which is your favorite season?
Home remedies for heat stroke, source: You tube
What a cool video to watch especially in Summer season: you tube
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan