- Mental Health»
- Stress Management
How to Reduce and Manage Stress by Art Therapy : a Case Study!
Art Therapy To Reduce Stress!
© Chitrangada Sharan 15th October, 2014
All Rights Reserved.
- You must have come across some children, who are hyper active and restless
- .They are always up to something, whether at home or outside.
- Sometimes their action lands them into trouble and they may not be very popular among other children of their own age.
- Their actions can be destructive as well as constructive.
- They may become withdrawn as well, if they find that they are being avoided.
- According to health experts and counselors, this is a disorder called Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD.
- So What is required? There is a need to channelize their energies.
- Art therapy can help such children.
How Does Art Therapy Help?
- Art can calm down a person.
- Art can help to overcome emotional problems.
- Art can help to develop skills to cope up the anxiety.
- Art can help to express those hidden emotions, which might be the cause of stress.
- Art can help to overcome low self esteem.
- Art can help to improve communication ability.
- Art can help to perfect hand eye coordination and sharpen motor skills.
Art Therapy is very much popular for treatment of behavioral disorders, such as stress, anxiety, depression, Autism, ADHD by Psychiatrists and Counselors.
Case study of a child aged 8 years:
- A boy aged 8 years, was hyperactive. He never wanted to sit in the class at his allotted seat.
- He was always on the move, even when the teacher was teaching in the class.
- Sometimes peeping in the notebooks of his classmates, at other times picking up small fights with other children.
- Other classmates avoided him, which was worse and further made him restless as well as withdrawn.
- He started feeling lonely as well.
- The school counselor thought to deal with this. He was given a drawing sheet, brushes and some water colors.
- He was asked to draw or paint anything which he liked and he started following the counselor's instructions.
- And there was a visible and significant change in his behavior.
- Slowly he started putting all his thoughts onto the paper.
- Within a week he started mingling with other kids, sharing his food with others and playing with them.
- The focus was on the child and not on a beautiful piece of Art work.
Case Study Of A Patient With Chronic Illness:
- Imagine the agony of a patient diagnosed for a chronic disease; one who has to spend many days at the hospital.
- I remember one of my relative, who unfortunately was diagnosed with a chronic disease and had to spend a long-long time at the hospital.
- Relatives used to visit her, but the visiting hours are restricted at the hospitals.
- What a painful look she had, when her loved ones used to leave her at the hospital and go home after the visit time was over!
- Such people feel isolated and lonely and 'Art therapy' then helps them to communicate and express their emotions.
- There is a medical term for the patients, who have spent many hours in the ICU--the ICU syndrome.
- They sometimes start behaving in a strange, hostile way even with their family members.
Art therapy pulls them out of depression and stress. Art gives them reassurance and they are able to cope up with their anxieties and frustration.
The doctor and family work in cooperation with each other to treat this symptom.
“Art can permeate the very deepest part of us, where no words exist.”
― Eileen Miller
“Autism: Where the "randomness of life" collides and clashes with an individual"s need for the sameness~”
― Eileen Miller
Art Therapy can help in reducing stress!
- The above examples will make it clear that Art as a Therapy does help a person, irrespective of age or gender to overcome stress, anxiety and depression.
- Art therapy helps to develop a sense of 'Self' among depressed persons.
- It also helps them to forget traumatic and unpleasant experiences and happenings of their lives.
- It helps them to build up self confidence and overcome low self esteem.
- It helps them to release their inner conflicts.
- That is why almost every school engages a counselor to deal with the emotional upheavals of children, before they become too prominent.
- Same is true for hospitals and health care centers.
- Art Therapy is being used extensively as an Alternative Therapy by health experts.
© Chitrangada Sharan 15th Oct. 2014,
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Art Therapy To treat depression, source: You tube
Art therapy, source: You tube
Other useful hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- Motivation is so Important for Children : Role of Pa...
Who doesn't need a little motivation! Parents and teachers of young kids have a great role in tracing the path for a child's success in academics etc., by providing them the much needed 'Motivation'.
- Concentration vs Distraction~ How can Parents Help...
Concentration is a skill, that enables us to focus on a particular thought, while eliminating every other thing from our conscious mind. Children must be trained to concentrate for effective learning.
- How to engage kids constructively during School v...
Summer Vacations is an ideal time to make kids Learn with Fun. Channelize their energy in constructive activities, relax, recharge and rejuvenate and also strengthen their academics by playful methods.
- What Is Reiki : An Alternative Therapy For Mental An...
In 'Reiki therapy' universal life energy, flows from the practitioner's hands towards the body and is utilized to heal the mind, body, immune system, to get rid of toxins and this leads to relaxation.
- What Are The Benefits Of Massage : Herbal Oils, Spa ...
Massage as an alternative therapy to relieve stress, pain and anxiety is an age old practice. It has become more scientific with the practice of using Herbal, medicinal oils in Modern Massage centers.
- What Is Naturopathy : Its Five Elements-Can The Body...
Naturopathy is a combination of Ayurveda, Yoga, Homeopathy, Herbal n other such methods of treatment. This system of healing revolves around the five basic elements, Earth, Air, Water, Sun and Ether.
- Are You Feeling Low! 7 Therapies To Recharge Yoursel...
Are you feeling Low for some reason! Did this thought occur to you that 'Life is not worth living'!Life is all about being active and positive. So do away with negativity with these simple Therapies.
- Examination Stress: How To Help Children Deal With I...
Is your child facing examination stress?As a parent, are you helping or making things worse for your child? The mantra should be prior planning n study, realistic approach avoiding over expectation!
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan