- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
How to deal with Common Cold, Flu, Dry Skin, especially during Winter!
How To Deal With Winter Health Problems
© Chitrangada Sharan Dec. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
The winter season is here in full swing and who doesn't love winters.
Time to take out your best woollens , stylish caps, jackets, coats etc.
Again enjoying with friends during daytime with the warm Sunshine and hot coffee must be a regular affair during this time of the year.
However, winter also brings some problems along with it. You have to take extra care of your skin, your hair, your diet and your immune system in general.
# Cold and Flu:
After the onset of winter, generally we are exposed to various temperatures during day and night, or when we are indoors or outdoors, in the car or outside the car.These variations in temperatures gives rise to viral or bacterial infections. If your Immune System is strong, you may not catch infection easily. But if it is not such, you might get repeated attacks of cold, cough or flu.
# Prevention is better than cure:
1. Keep yourself warm by wearing sufficient woolen clothes and avoid exposure and sudden change of temperatures. Cover your head, with woolen caps, your hands with gloves and feet with socks and shoes, before going out.
2. After hot water bath, completely dry yourself and cover yourself with proper warm clothes before coming out of your room, to avoid exposure.
3. Drink herbal tea prepared with Basil ( Tulsi) leaves, crushed ginger and add honey. You can even add pepper powder in it. This tea prevents you from getting cold or cough.
Taking a cup of tea with this combination every morning will protect you throughout winters, from catching cold and cough. If however the infection is severe, you must see the doctor.
4. A cup of hot milk and half teaspoonful of turmeric powder is very beneficial to cure sore throat and cold related mild fever.
5. If you have a blocked nose or running nose try taking warm/ hot steam. The procedure is simple. Boil water in a big bowl and place it on your dining table. Put half teaspoonful of cooking salt into it, bring your face over the warm water, cover your entire head with a big towel. Now breathe slowly for 5 minutes. You will feel the ease in your respiratory track. Remove the towel . You can repeat this process 2 to 3 times in a day.
Drink warm water, when you have cold or sore throat.
How to take steam to ease blocked nose: source you tube
Skincare during winters:
The most common problem faced by most of the people in winters is dry and rough skin, cracked heels and lips.
The intensity may be less or more in different persons, but it is there, no doubt.
The cold winds of the winter steals the moisture from the skin, which causes dry outer layer of the skin. There are however, some remedies which you can follow to prevent this situation.
1. Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated, even in winters. If you find it difficult to drink water that is cold, warm water can be kept in a thermos.
2. Go for a hot olive oil massage all over, before bath.
3. Keep moisturizers for face, hand and body handy in your purse or , whenever you are going out. Also keep a lip balm handy.
Moisturizing cream with Aloe vera and honey are particularly beneficial in this season.
4. For cracked heels, you can soak your feet in fairly hot water for 10 minutes once or twice a week. Add some drops of olive oil in the hot water. Scrub away the dead skin from the heels. Dry your feet and apply foot cream.
1. Winter also makes your hair dry and rough plus you may have a dandruff attack. A warm olive oil massage helps immensely.
2. Hot towel steam treatment to your hair gives new life to your hair, by rejuvenating it.
The procedure is simple. Soak a big towel in hot water and squeeze excess water..cover your entire head and leave for 5 minutes.
3. Applying lemon juice on the scalp helps prevent dandruff.
Your favourite season?
Eat right food and exercise!
1. Our mother nature provides those particular crop, which is suitable for that very season. So go seasonal and eat the fruits and vegetables which grow naturally in the winter season.
Oranges, guava, tomatoes, carrots, green peas, lot of greens like spinach etc. grow in abundance and are perfect for the winters.
2. Have plenty of nuts, like almonds, cashew nuts, pistachio, dates etc.
3. Eat food which keep you warm from within..milk and milk products, soups with spices like pepper, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, garlic added to it.
Seasame seed preparations with jaggery are quite common in India, because it keeps you warm from within.
Generally, we tend to avoid exercising in winters because of the chilly weather outside.
But you can go for your walking and jogging fully covered with woolens. If not, have your exercise at home itself. But please do not miss your exercises.
You can even do yogic exercises, to keep yourself warm.
In spite of taking all precautions, chances are that you might feel dull or lethargic.
May be you feel hard to get up early morning as you do in summer. Keep your spirits high and follow your healthy routine effectively. And
I am sure with regular and persistent care of yourself you are going to JUST ENJOY this winter.
© Chitrangada Sharan 10th Dec. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Enjoy this winter song, source: You tube
Skincare in Winter season, source: You tube
Other Useful Hubs By Chitrangada Sharan
- Why do Kids fall ill frequently ? How to Boost Immu...
Do you face the problem of your child falling ill again and again? How to build a strong Immune system in children, to fight infections n allergies? What are the foods to boost Immunity in children?
- What are Essential Antioxidants, Why are they import...
Antioxidant are those vital nutrients usually termed as Vitamins and Minerals, which protect our body's cells from wear and tear and repairs them. They are found in abundance in natural food items.
- How To Protect From Heat Stroke And Dehydration: Sum...
Summer season is good for picnics, beaches and vacations, but care must be taken to protect ourselves from Heat related illnesses, such as cramps, dehydration, exhaustion etc.Try these home remedies!
- What Is Water Therapy? Alternative Treatment By Wat...
Water is the most essential element and component of human physiology. It also has wonderful healing properties, with the presence of various crucial elements present in it, beneficial for health.
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan