How To Take That First Step Towards Sobriety
OUR FIRST STEP
Remember when we were babies and we laid in that crib so still and over time we started to crawl everywhere? As months passed we got a little braver and tried to stand holding on to coffee tables, chairs and anything to steady us while we tried standing.
Then the time came, the time our parents have been waiting for and wondering when we would take that first step. Some of us, it may have taken months or possibly a year or so to take that first step.
We, even as babies, had the determination and the desire to be able
to walk. Our parents held our little hands and assisted us as we took
one step at a time, slow but sure, until we got the gist of the sequence
of steps and the balance of our little bodies.
I know we don't remember our first step, but I wonder what we thought when we had taken that first step in our life all on our own? We must of been so proud and excited of our accomplishment to be able to walk on our own with no holding on to tables or chairs and no one assisting us in our steps.
FIRST STEP TO SOBRIETY
This brings me to my main point of this hub and that is how to take that first step towards sobriety.
The alcoholic is set in his/her own little world, the world of alcohol addiction. They are so used to the way they live, they really don't remember how life was being clean and sober and living in the world of sobriety.
I can say this because, one time in my life I had the unpleasant experience of alcohol addiction. I know by my experiences with alcohol and the way I lived my life, every alcoholic more than likely thinks as I thought, and that was, there is no way out, I'm addicted and I never be able to become clean and sober.
Well, I must tell you that there is a way out, but you will have to do some work in order to escape from your addiction just as we did much work to learn to walk as babies.
As babies we took the hardest step of our lives and that was our first step. We were only babies and were able to take that first step, so why as adults we are having a hard time taking that first step towards sobriety? I'm sure if we had that determination and desire we had as babies to walk on our own, we as adults now can indeed take our first step to sobriety.
What do you say? Do you want to give sobriety a chance and start living a clean and sober life again? If so, I'll explain to you just how I did the unthinkable in my life and how I took that first step to my sobriety.
JUST SAY NO!
THINK LONG AND HARD
TIME TO CALL IT QUITS
When I finally got sick and tired, of being sick and tired, I decided that enough was enough and I had take action and change my life, as you should , if you think you have a problem with drinking alcohol.
NOTE: I don't want to sound like I am totally against drinking alcohol, because I'm not. I had lots of fun drinking alcohol and then, not so much fun too. My problem, as many alcoholics have, is that I didn't know when to stop. i couldn't be just a social drinker or that special occasion drinker. I need to drink alcohol everyday or my day wouldn't be complete, sad to say. Many of us alcoholics can't just have one or two drinks and walk away and say no more. That's why we are called alcoholics in my opinion. I'm not a expert on cures for alcoholism and I'm certainly not a Doctor or a Therapist, but I'm an expert on telling you that alcohol can and will run and ruin your life if you let it. It can grab hold of you and it will not let go until you surrender to it, get out of denial and get help to regain you life back.
THESE ARE A FEW IDEAS THAT MAY HELP YOU ACHIEVE SOBRIETY. IT WORKED FOR ME AND HOPEFULLY IF YOU PUT YOUR HEART AND SOUL INTO GETTING CLEAN AND SOBER IT MAY WORK FOR YOU AS WELL.
- I looked at my life (being sober while doing so) and looked at my family life and saw it wasn't the way I wanted to live the rest of my life.
- I saw the look on my families faces while I drank alcohol. The look of discuss, the look of being sad, the look of love and the look of worry about me and my alcohol addiction.
- When you love someone with all your heart and see their faces being sad and worried about you makes one think of what you will lose if you continue this horrible addicted life you now lead.
- I have to stop I sad to myself. My family means so much more than a addicted liquid in a bottle.
- I made up my mind to surrender and was very excited to inform my family and friends of my decision to stop drinking alcohol. Just saying that, if you truly want to quit drinking will give you the inspiration to take that first step towards sobriety.
- Started to live with a positive attitude in everything in my life. No more negative thoughts.
- I started to think of all the different things I may now do with my family all being sober. It excited me to no end. I can now be able to enjoy my family and my life being sober.
- By thinking this way, it certainly helps in your decision to become sober, at least it did for me.
- When you have decided to surrender to your addiction and start your new life, the first step is to admit and surrender, followed by promising yourself that you will never be able to pick up another alcohol drink again. (This was the hardest thing for me and I'm sure it will be for anyone that wants to get clean and sober.)
- This is a very important step, because I know myself and if I were to have just one drink I know I would go right back to my old ways of drinking everyday. So, if you don't have that first drink then you are on your way to alcohol recovery and your new life.
11. YOU CAN NOT TAKE THAT FIRST DRINK! VERY VERY IMPORTANT!
i HOPE THESE FEW FIRST STEPS TOWARDS SOBRIETY HELPS YOU REALIZE THAT THERE IS LIFE AFTER AND ADDICTION. i DID IT, AND YOU CAN TOO, YOU JUST HAVE TO WANT IT AND NEVER LET ANYTHING OR ANYBODY GET IN YOUR WAY TO ACHIEVING YOUR SOBRIETY.
READ HOW POSITIVE THINKING CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE
- Positive Thinking Can Change Your Life
There are so many things that can happen in someone's life, that it can make it really hard to have a positive outlook in life itself. Life to me, is like a roller coaster with the ups and downs and sharp...
GREAT BOOKS ON ADDICTIONS AND SOBRIETY
- Mark's Sobriety Store
In my Sobriety Store there are many great books on learning to live life sober. Living with an Alcohol Addiction, Finding Happiness and Fulfillment in life. Music CDs, Great buys on Computers and Accessories and much more.