How Walking Can Help You To Be Healthy And Fit
We all hear about the benefits of exercise and walking is the easiest to do and it is an activity that most people enjoy. Walking is easy on your joints and produces very efficient and positive results.
Benefits of Walking
- Helps the circulatory system, which can reduce ugly and dangerous varicose veins.
- A 30-minute brisk walk will keep headaches from forming.
- Reduces stress, which in turn reduces blood pressure.
- Calories are burned – giving your metabolism a boost.
- Strengthens bone density (a particular concern for women).
- Results in weight loss!
An hour of walking, at a brisk and steady pace has been known to burn up to 500 calories, which (on average) is a meal.
More Reasons Why You Should Walk
Walking Plan to Lose Weight
- Start slow, but commit to waking every day to get into the good habit.
- Add 5 to 10 minutes each day, until you are walking 60 minutes a day.
- Go at your speed, but challenge yourself. There is no reward for staying stagnant.
- Wear moveable, comfortable, light colored clothing.
- Shoes should be soft, without a raised heel or platform.
- Look straight ahead while walking, do not look at the ground or “window shop”.
- Walk with determination, without stopping to speak to everyone you know (a quick wave will do).
- Have a destination in mind, walking with a purpose will keep you on track.
- Aim for 3 miles (about 5 kilometers) within a 60 minute period.
A sample Walking Routine
The more you move, the more weight you will lose and the more muscle you will be building in your body. Exercise not only is good for your body but your mind and spirit. It is relaxing and gives you a moment to get off the “crazy” treadmill of life and enjoy the fresh air.
Another Routine If You Prefer Treadmill
Other Ways to Move More
Other ways to add movement/exercise into your day would include, but are not limited to:
- Take the steps whenever possible, avoid the elevator!
- Use public transportation and get off a stop or two before your destination and walk the remainder.
- Walk to the store, most of us have some sort of market within a mile of our residence.
There are a million methods to add movement to your day, be creative and active. Your entire outlook on life will be brighter for your effort, and you will be surprised at how many smiles you can share with everyone around you!