How and When to Announce Your Pregnancy
When to Tell People You're Pregnant
The results are in: you're pregnant! Congratulations! Now that the wait is over, who are you going to tell?
Before you announce to the world that you're pregnant, take a step back and relax. It may be the most exciting news to you (trust me; I know!), but you may want to wait a bit before you tell everyone you're expecting. Why? The first few weeks of pregnancy are the most crucial for the proper development of your baby. If anything should go awry in those first few weeks, it would be devastating to go back to all of the people you told and tell them things didn't work out.
That isn't to say you can't tell anyone. Of course, you can tell your spouse or partner the great news right away. You may also choose to tell immediate family members or very close friends whom you can trust with your precious news.
For everyone else, it would be advisable to wait until at least the end of the first trimester, when the threat of miscarriage is lessened greatly. Until then, relish in the fact that you have an awesome secret to tell, and plan some ways to make the big announcement!
Positive Pregnancy Test
How soon will you announce your pregnancy?
When to Tell Your Family You're Pregnant
While immediate family members can be told about your great news, it might be wise to wait to tell certain members of the family that you're pregnant. For instance, if you already have children, you should wait until the second trimester to tell them of the new baby, especially if they're young. Toddlers won't be able to really understand until you show physical changes, and even then the concept of a new baby may be difficult for them to understand.
Older kids might recognize that there's something different about you, especially if you show symptoms like extreme fatigue, morning sickness, or nausea at the sight of your favorite food. You might want to tell them earlier so that they don't think something is wrong with your health.
As for distant family members, it would be best to wait until after your first trimester. If there's someone you're close to, like an aunt or grandparent, who you really want to tell, then go ahead and let them know your news, making sure that they understand not to tell anyone else until you decide it's the right time.
Note: It might be a good idea to tell anyone who knows not to post the news on any social media sites until you give the approval. Sometimes new grandparents or aunts or uncles can't hold it all in and want to share the secret with the world. Promise them they'll get their chance, but only when you give the okay.
Telling Family You're Pregnant
When I was pregnant with my firstborn, I waited until I was close enough to the end of the first trimester to announce the pregnancy. At my youngest brother's birthday party, I made him open a card last of all his gifts that was addressed to 'Uncle'. It took a minute but after everyone got it there was quite a celebration! My son was going to be the first grandchild, nephew, great-nephew, and great-grandchild.
Surprise Pregnancy Announcement
Telling Your Employer You're Pregnant
You may feel intimidated at the thought of telling your boss that you're expecting, especially when you think you may lose your job or be treated unfairly. Take heart; thanks to the Pregnancy Discrimination Act you cannot be fired outright for just being pregnant nor can anyone treat you unfairly due to your condition.
As with everyone else, you could wait until the end of the first trimester to tell your employer your news. Before then, think about your position and how things might change as your due date nears. If you do any heavy lifting or are near hazardous chemicals, you may need to change positions. If you're thinking about maternity leave under FMLA, consider when that might happen and how you might have to train someone else to do your work until you return. Discuss these things with your employer when you announce your pregnancy, and perhaps even discuss the terms of FMLA and how it will affect your benefits and pay.
FMLA and Maternity Leave
Ways to Tell Your Husband You're Pregnant
The first person you probably want to tell is your husband or significant other. Why not? He had a hand in the pregnancy, didn't he? Here are some fun ways to tell them you're pregnant:
- Fan yourself, saying how hot you feel. Ask him to check your 'thermometer' while handing him your positive pregnancy test.
- Using lipstick or a dry erase marker, write the words "The face of a new Daddy" on the bathroom mirror and wait for him to see it.
- Have a movie night and include movies that include baby themes, like Look Who's Talking, Knocked Up, or Father of the Bride 2.
- Hand him a grocery list with the following items: ice cream, pickles, chocolate, and prenatal vitamins.
- Have your kids wear t-shirts that say Kid #1 (#2, etc) and hand Daddy with a baby onesie that says Kid # [2, 3, etc].
Pregnancy Announcement Ideas
There are so many ways to announce your pregnancy to everyone else, ranging from just a basic "Hey, we're pregnant!" to an all out surprise extravaganza.
If you're looking for a simple way to announce your pregnancy, here are a few ideas:
- Slip names like 'Grandma', 'Grandpa', 'Aunt', or 'Uncle' into conversation to see if your family picks up on it.
- When you're getting ready to eat a meal, slip on a baby bib.
- Put a bun in your oven, and ask someone to go check what's cooking in there.
- Serve a meal with all baby foods: baby carrots, baby back ribs, baby corn, peas in the pod, baby spinach, fruit salad in a baby carriage, etc.
- Make a CD with songs that include 'baby' in the title.
- Use a baby bottle with flowers as a centerpiece.
- Have the kids tell the news, announcing their status as big brother or big sister.
- Set a table or decorate a room in pinks and blues.
- Give a card that says "Happy Birthday, [Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle]!"
Pregnancy Announcement Wording
- We're happy to announce that our family will be growing!
- We're expecting!
- And baby makes three.
- Blank card: $1. Fancy pen: $5. Your face when you realize we're pregnant: Priceless.
Bun in the Oven
Creative Ways to Announce Pregnancy
If you want to be a little more creative, here are some fun ways to announce your pregnancy:
- Send out invitations to your baby's 'birth day'.
- Make or buy Big Brother or Big Sister t-shirts and have the kids wear them.
- Make or buy a shirt that says "Baby on Board".
- Frame pictures of 'baby' items: baby animals,
- Go to Build a Bear or find a stuffed animal that you can dress up like a baby with a little shirt, bib, or a pacifier.
- Write a poem about a baby or an acrostic poem using the words pregnancy, pregnant, or baby.
- Put pink and blue helium filled balloons in a box and have someone open them as a present.
I'm a Big Brother T-Shirt
Photo Pregnancy Announcements
Another great way to announce your pregnancy is with creative photos. For some great ideas about using photos to announce that you're pregnant, visit AlissaRoberts' article Creative Photo Ideas for Pregnancy Announcements.
Cute Pregnancy Announcement
Announcing Pregnancy Online
Should people announce a pregnancy with Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or other site?
Status Updates Announcing Pregnancy Online
You might be hesitant to announce your pregnancy online as it seems so informal, but it can be fun as well. Many parents-to-be upload videos to YouTube or other social networking sites, announcing the pregnancy. You can post pictures of all sorts of baby things or baby quotes.
Here are some fun status updates to use:
- Three down. Six to go!
- I need to get all the sleep I can now before I never get to sleep again!
- Pinks...blues...yellows...greens... which color to decorate in?
- Let the belly rubbing commence!
- Place your bets now: boy or girl?
- I need a peanut butter and pickle sandwich, STAT!
- Post a picture with the ultrasound picture and write "Coming in [Month Year]!"
- Hey! Look who's talking!
- How do you keep your pants buttoned when your belly grows?
- Uh oh. I have the Egyptian flu, and there's not chance of recovering! (hint: think Mummy)
- This mommy is going to get an awesome 'birth' day present! (great for those due around their birthdays!)
- I wanted to ride the roller coaster at the amusement park today, but I was told I couldn't if I had a heart condition, back problems, or am pregnant.
- Does anyone else see that stork flying around?
- How can something the size of a lime cause me to feel so tired?
- All those planning a wedding, shower, or birthday party: please don't schedule anything around [due date]. I'm going to be busy.
Pregnancy Status Update
Facebook Pregnancy Announcement
No matter how you do it, have fun announcing your pregnancy. Everyone is going to love hearing the news, plus it's the only time you get to do such a thing...until you have the next baby!