- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
How to Blow Smoke Rings to Make People Impressed
I’m not a smoker. I don’t enjoy being around people who smoke. To the dismay of my friends who are smokers, I’m quite glad that smoking is now prohibited in most of the public places where I spend my time including local street festivals and inside of bars. So I’m not exactly someone who advocates smoking. Despite this, I have to admit that I am quite the fan of smoking tricks. Maybe it’s precisely because I’ve never been a smoker (and therefore haven’t had the opportunity to learn to do these tricks myself) that I find it to be really fascinating and fun when people do simple things like blowing smoke rings in the air. My discontent at being around people who are smoking rapidly fades and my tolerance increases if the person I’m with is entertaining me by blowing smoke rings.
What I’ve learned is that it’s fairly easy to learn how to do these tricks even if you’re not a regular smoker. Of course, you have to be able to tolerate smoking at least a little bit but as long as you’ve got that part under control then you can learn how to blow smoke rings fairly easily.
Here are the steps that you should follow to learn the basics of blowing smoke rings:
1. Take a large drag on your cigarette or cigar. You want to take in as much smoke as you can possibly hold without needing to inhale it, cough it out or release it. You’re going to be holding this smoke for a long time so don’t overdo it even though you’re trying to take in as much smoke as possible.
2. Try to inhale the smoke towards the very top front of your throat without actually inhaling all the way. Practice makes perfect with this part of the trick.
3. Hold the smoke in this area of your throat.
4. Press your tongue down. You want your tongue pointing towards the bottom lip from the inside of your mouth.
5. Form your lips into the shape of an “O”. The shape of your mouth should be the same as if you were saying oooooooooo (rather than if you were saying “oh”). Widen this shape as much as possible while still keeping the smoke in your mouth.
6. Begin pushing little puffs of the smoke out of your mouth. This is frequently described as trying to say “uh uh uh” quietly with your mouth. This should push the smoke out in bursts that turn into rings because of the O shape of your mouth.
Here are some additional tips that you should take into consideration when learning to blow smoke rings:
• The source of your smoke makes a big difference in how easy it is to blow smoke rings. People who are just getting started may want to try cigars instead of cigarettes because it’s easier to blow smoke rings with cigars. If you want to use cigarettes, try to find ones that are full flavor since they’ll create more smoke and make it easier to blow visible smoke rings.
• Pack the cigar or cigarette as tightly as possible. This is done by tapping the mouth end of the cigarette against a table to bring all of the tobacco to that end.
• As you are pushing the smoke out of your mouth to make the rings you will want to enhance the motion by also pushing your tongue forward at the same time. Your tongue should still remain downwards and pointing towards your bottom lip as you do this.
• Play around with changing the shape of your lips to get different effects with your smoke rings. Many people try to cause their smoke rings to spin. This can be done by rapidly pulling your lips in and down as the smoke is pushed through them when you’re making those “uh” sounds.
• Notably, you don’t actually want to make those “uh” sounds out loud. You’re not using your voice to create the smoke rings. You just want to make the same motion with your mouth that you would make to create that sound.
• Practice, practice, practice. It’s surprisingly easy for people to learn how to make smoke rings with their cigars or cigarettes. However, it takes some practice to really get good at doing them consistently. If this is a trick that you really want to know then you need to put some time in to practice it. Most people find that this is a fun thing to practice and they can practice any time that they’re smoking.
It’s fairly easy for even casual smokers to learn to blow smoke rings if they take the time and have the patience to learn. If you find that you enjoy doing tricks like this to entertain the people who happen to be around you when you smoke then you may want to move on to more advanced smoking tricks. Many of these are advanced variations on the smoke rings; such as blowing one ring inside of another ring. The French Inhale is another type of popular smoking trick.
Keep in mind that there are risks that you take when smoking. If you don’t smoke often then you may find that trying to do smoking tricks irritates your mouth and throat. It may also irritate the people around you. Nevertheless, it’s a fun party trick and a neat way to entertain your friends if you do smoke.
- How to Blow Smoke Rings | eHow.com
How to Blow Smoke Rings. Do you want to impress your friends by blowing perfect smoke rings? It’s a classic smoker's trick and it’s sure to make you the center of attention. These steps will show you how to blow smoke...
- How to Blow Smoke Rings: 9 steps (with video) - wikiHow
wikiHow article about How to Blow Smoke Rings.