Top 7 Treadmills in 2016 |Treadmill Buying Guide
What is a treadmill?
Treadmills are cardio equipment that simulate the effect of jogging, walking or running. The universal purpose of a treadmill is to burn calories and it is the easy way too. It provides an efficient and complete aerobic workout. The treadmills are safe for your joints and ankles as it is low impact. You don’t actually touch the ground to do the walking. Treadmill is the most common home fitness equipment as it can be used to lose weight, cardio workouts, or to maintain good physique. In today’s hectic way of life, people tend to remain inside or they do not have the time or environment to go out for running or jogging. This is where treadmills become the savior. You can work out regardless the time of the day or the weather.
UPDATE: ADDED 2 MORE NEW AND BEST TREADMILLS TO THE LIST
Advantages of treadmill
- Easy to use
- Low impact. Safe for joints and knees. Useful for arthritis patients
- Users can remain inside their house
- Risk of tripping is reduced
- Users can control speed, incline, warm up time etc
- Your friends or family can also use the same equipment without changing the settings
- Users can design custom work out programs that fit their need.
- Some treadmills have useful features such as step counter, heart rate monitor, calorie counter etc
- Treadmills with incline burn calories much faster than actual running
- You can keep your exercise entertaining with inbuilt TV, mp3 player, reading stand etc
Disadvantages of treadmill
- Treadmills are Expensive
*Were. Now days there are plenty of models which are affordable and efficient.
- Can take up a lot of space
*Not all. There are compact treadmills that can be hidden beneath a desk.
- Maintenance requires a professional
*Yes. Just like a computer or washing machine, we cannot do all the maintenance by our own.
- Treadmills are noisy
*Not all. There are quiet models also.
- Types of exercises are limited.
*Yes. You can do only running, walking or jogging but hey, it is the sole purpose of a treadmill.
What to look for when buying a treadmill?
So, if you are sure enough to invest in treadmill, consider these points before buying one. I am sure it will save you a lot of time and effort later.
Size: Always check the dimensions before buying treadmill. Check whether your apartment can accommodate the same.
Motor power: High power rating means smoother belt function. Optimum rating is between 1.5 and 3.
Running surface area: Choose the correct surface area according to your size. Some treadmills have wider belt and some have narrower.
Cushion quality: The belt cushion should provide enough absorption to safeguard your knees and joints.
Ease of use: The treadmill must be easy to use and the programs also should be user friendly. Easy set up can save you a lot of time and easy operation makes you satisfied with the product.
Noise level: As you know, the quieter, the better.
Warranty: Since treadmills are heavy investments, there should be enough warranty for electronic parts, frame and labor to ensure future value for the product.
Safety: Every treadmill should have an emergency-off button or a safety key. A safety key can be attached to the user and turned on while running, if something goes wrong, the key will pull out and stop the machine. The emergency-off button immediately stops the machine when pressed.
After all, choosing a perfect treadmill is all about personal preference and circumstances. Considering the above tips, you can choose the best treadmill from the below list.
Types of treadmill
- Uses belt and rollers only. Users take effort to walk on it
- You should set your own tempo as you need to pull the belt back yourself to do the job
- Manual treadmill last longer as it consist of less ‘likely to become faulty’ components
- Have fewer features than motorized treadmills
- Less expensive
- Easy to use
- You can set speed of running or walking
- You can set degree of incline to increase or decrease work out intensity
- Increased chance of developing fault
- Expensive than manual treadmill
Folding type treadmill
- Takes up less space
- Can be kept hidden
- Suitable to use in office
- Good gift idea
Sole Fitness F85 vs LifeSpan TR 1200i vs LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk vs ProForm Pro 2000 vs Phoenix 98516 Easy-Up vs Weslo Cadence G 5.9
Best Manual Treadmill is the Phoenix 98516 Easy-Up
This entry level yet amazingly simple treadmill provide total workout efficiency and user convenience. Suitable for beginners, the treadmill is extremely simple and less expensive. With a maximum weight capacity of 250 pounds, almost every one can perform a controlled workout on the phoenix 98516.
The heavy-duty weighted flywheel keeps the belt according to your motion and gives you a smoother workout. It also has manual incline levels to increase your workout intensity. Your speed, time, distance and calories burned are displayed and can be read easily.
The treadmill is foldable also. It measures 22 x 21 x 50 inches when folded.There is a safety knob locking mechanism to keep the machine folded. It also features transportation wheels for easy moving.
The only drawback is the poor warranty. Only one year for the frame and 90 days for parts and labor.But considering the simplicity and price, it’s enough. There are no parts in this treadmill which need constant maintenance.
- Low maintenance
- Suitable for beginners
- Cannot do extreme workouts
Browse Phoenix 98516 and 469 other Manual Treadmills
You Save: $46.50 (27%)
Best Foldable Treadmill is the LifeSpan TR 1200i
This high end professional treadmill has everything a runner or a weight loss participant would need. It has a running surface area of 20 x 56 inches and can support up to 300 pounds. With the top quality cushioning and wider belt, you will not end up tripping or falling of the machine. It can display time, distance, calories burned, steps taken, heart rate and incline level.
The automatic workout data saving feature allows you to track your improvement effectively. You will also get lifetime membership in LifeSpan fitness club online and you can upload data, workout routines etc to the account. Another unique LifeSpan features are the Intelli-Guard technology which shut down the treadmill automatically after 20 secs of inactivity and Intelli-Step technology which monitor every step you take to advice you with better workout routines. You can also personalize the treadmill with your age, gender and weight.
LifeSpan TR 1200i comes with two heart rate monitors with customizable program. The treadmill features 2.5 HP motor and can speed up to 11 miles per hour. It has 17 preset workout programs (more than needed) and 15 incline levels (Wow). It also boasts of the built in speakers and headphone jack for making your exercise entertaining. LifeSpan is generous when it comes to warranty. The TR 1200i offers lifetime warranty for frame, 3 year for parts and 1 year for labor.
Overall, this high end model features everything that you need to have a safe and effective workout.
Browse TR 1200i and other 118 Fold up Treadmills
You Save: $500.99 (33%)
Best low cost folding treadmill is the Weslo Cadence G 5.9
- Low priced entry level yet amazing performer
- Quiet and smooth functioning
- Powered by 2.25 HP motor and can deliver up to 10 miles per hour
- Very compact. Can be folded and stored vertically
- Includes 2 incline levels
- 16 x 50 inches running surface area is suitable for medium or short people only
- Suitable for light jogging and walking
- Comfort Cell cushioning reduces stress on joints
- Can hold up to 250 pounds
- Great value for money
- Poor warranty. 1 year warranty for frame, 90 days for parts and labor
- Not for tall people
- Not for runners
36% Discount @ Amazon
Sole Fitness F85 Professional Treadmill for Runners
- Here is the one for tall runners
- Features 4 HP continuous duty motor which delivers outstanding performance
- Supports up to 400 pounds
- You can alter the speed with just a press of a button up to 12 mph
- 22 x 60 inches wide running surface area
- Strong powder coated steel frame
- 2.75’’ rollers with copper ground wires which gives the belt static-free smooth functioning
- Easily readable display
- Displays time, steps, distance, calories burned, pace, incline and pulse
- Has built in fan to cool
- Easily adjustable incline
- Have speakers for your iPod or mp3 player
- Can be easily folded and stored using Easy Assist Folding Deck
- User friendly peak & valley graph lets you track your progress
- Cushion flex whisper deck absorbs 40% of impact and saves you from any joint pain or inflammation
- Lifetime warranty for frame, 5 years for electronic parts and 2 years free service
User Reviews and More
You Save: $1,300.00 (43%)
LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk
Who has time to concentrate on fitness in this pacing life? LifeSpan TR1200 – TD5 is made for very busy people who want to keep fit as well. You can work out and do your business simultaneously in this machine as it has a 46.5’’ x 31’’ desk attached. It can hold a 17’’ laptop easily. The treadmill can be used up to 6 feet 8 tall people. It makes use of a 2.25 HP powerful motor for the process. Some of the features of LifeSpan DT5 is listed below.
- Quiet operation – This thing is extra quiet as I have been using it for months now.
- Intelli Step and Intelli Guard Technologies – Which is explained above (See LifeSpan TR1200i review)
- Displays steps, time, calories burned, distance and speed. The display is easy to read and clear with backlight.
- Bluetooth functionality to connect with Windows or Mac OS
- You can vary the speed between 0.4 to 4 mph although 2mph is the comfortable working speed
If you are working while ‘walking’, with this one, you won’t notice walking after a while. It’s that smooth.But you can get a lot better deals at this price range like ProForm Pro 2000 and Sole F85. Buy TD5 only if you want to work while using it.
LifeSpan offers lifetime guarantee on frame, 2 year warranty on parts and 3 year on motor.
Read User Reviews | 26% DISCOUNT!
ProForm Pro 2000
One of the many advantages of ProForm PRO2000 is its space saving design. It can be folded vertically to store safely anywhere. With this machine you get 32 preset workout programs which can be highly personalized. It features 15% incline down to -3% decline with simply one touch button for variable intensity work out.
The 7 inch oversized display is easily readable and shows all the necessary data. ProForm PRO2000 offers up to 12mph speed for anyone, any fitness level. The iFit training option provides you with a variety of workout for special objectives. You can also simulate actual running with GMap. You can compete with your Facebook friends too.
The 60’’ x 22’’ tack is enough for anyone. ProForm PRO2000 features a 3.25 HP motor to get the job done smoothly and efficiently. It can tolerate up to 350 pounds and tallest people. The extra features are another charm for this machine. It has got speakers, iPod or mp3 player socket and water bottle holder.
ProForm offers Lifetime warranty for frame, 5 year parts and 2 year service.
43% OFF! Read User Reviews