10 Ways to Deal with Bed Bugs
The biggest factor with bed bug control is precaution, no matter whether you already have an infestation or not. It's precaution either not to draw them to your place or not to let them spread to your neighbours' and friends' homes.
Bed bugs are large enough to be seen with the naked eye so it's imperative to take the time to check the room when you're staying at a hotel or sleeping over in a new place. Look along mattress seams, pillowcases, sheets, boxsprings, headboards, in sofas, curtains, bedside drawers and even behind picture frames. If staying over at a hotel, it's very important not to leave your luggage on the bed or inside drawers before you check the place for bed bugs. It's certain that they will get into your bag and travel back to your home.
As we said, the first step to treating bed bugs is detecting them. After identifying the infestation (signs include blood spots on sheets and furniture, fecal matter in the form of tiny brown spots, live adults), it's time to start treating each infected area separately.
- Take all your washables, such as blankets, bedding, stuffed toys, clothes and clean them with a vacuum cleaner. It's important to throw the vacuum bag away immediately after cleaning, because the bugs would still be alive in there.
Put all the washables in a sealed plastic bag (away from your other belongings), until ready to be laundered. When doing laundry, set the washing machine to the highest possible temperature, as bed bugs are generally killed off by heat and freezing.
- After the laundry is done, repeat the vacuum cleaning procedure and take the fabrics outside in the sun to dry.
- Non-washables such as electronics need to be kept at a temperature lower than 40 F (-5 C) for a minimum of five days. If you do not wish to freeze them, keeping the items heated at 113 F (45 C) would have the same effect.
- 5. Now, all that's left is your furniture. You need to reveal all bed bug hiding spots by pulling the furniture away from the walls, taking drawers out and turning them inside out, lifting your mattress to look underneath and at the box springs. Vacuum thoroughly before treating with an insecticide. (Remembed to throw away the vacuum bag!)
- It's likely that all these places are infested with bed bugs. Treat them with insecticide, then leave the room and let it air out for at least 2 hours.
- Sleep in the same room that night to make sure you draw any surviving bed bugs to the insecticide-treated area.
- After four days, clean the room thoroughly. Vacuum clean all the furniture and floors, scrub all areas with a hard brush to remove any eggs, mop the floor.
- For extra security, seal all openings and crevices both on the outside and inside of the building. This will both reduce the possible hiding places for surviving bed bugs and limit the access to other pests such as rodents and bats that may serve as temporary hosts for bed bugs.
- To avoid future infestations, you can use mattress encasements and mattress liners. That, combined with the methods of prevention, will guarantee you that bed bugs will have a hard time spreading on your property again.
Bed bugs are a real manifestation if not dealt with in advance.
Identifying them is easy, considering they leave fecal after themselves and they are easy to see to the naked eye.
Checking the entire room for scattered blood suckers is imperative. Did you know, after feeding bed bugs tend to retreat to their safe place, which isn't always your mattress. (via The Pest Quiz) It might be an area near by. Scour the room and look for any refugees that might be lurking around.
Bed bugs aren't attracted to your house based no its condition, clean or dirty. They travel through hosts, riding on our cloths, shoes. We are the ones inviting them to our house.
Treatment is easy enough that anyone can do it.
All bed sheets and covers need to be washed on high temperature in the washing machines, the same goes for the dryer, high. The heat will desecrate the bed bugs and their eggs.
Treating your furniture can be done with a vacuum machine. Advice, make sure the vacuum cleaner is powerful and it uses a perishable bag, other kids won't do you good.
© 2016 Timmy Griffin